workout for mountain biking

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author

tryin to drop 45 pounds to get to 200lbs and just joined planet fitness today and i want to lose weight but would also like to stengthen my legs and upper body for those challenging obstacles…any ideas to reach my new years resolution?

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Bike-tribulat … n+the+bike

Hey this book is not exactly what u are looking for but it will inspire you. He is a roadie but he just gives basic calorie info and some common sense helps and tells how he made it all work while traveling constantly. The book is written telling his story over the course of a year so highlight any info u like as you are reading it so you can find it later faster.
      It is very easy reading and will give you just enough basic info to help you out. There are no real specific exercises listed except that he got on his bike. He went from a heart attack , 270 lbs, and 30 something to 170, healthy, and biking across Ohio along with a few triathlons just for fun all done in a year. 99 cents on kindle. Makes you want to get on a bike. Hope this will help you.

Everybody is different. For me, It’s more about the diet than the exercise. It took me 2 years to figure that out and to figure out my body. You don’t have to go on a strict diet but you do have to watch your caloric intake. Go find a site that you can calculate your BMR. Your basal metabolic rate is basically how many calories your body burns in a day while sitting stagnant. Maintain a calorie deficit throughout each day (eat less calories than your BMR number and/or workout to offset the difference), eat the right types of food, and go ride your bike/hit the gym and bam-o, you’ll lose 2 lbs a week.

A very easy way to keep track of this, is via a website called loseit.com That’s how I got started and after the first 70 lbs came off, I was able to count calories without much effort, knowing what most of the foods I consume contain.

The only things I’ve been strict about:
      -No fried food
      -No red meat
      -No soda/candy/sweets/energy drinks
      -LOTS OF WATER everyday

I ride every day the weather allows and run a lot as well. I’m also doing my own weight lifting program at home with my free weight setup which focuses on all the muscle groups, mixing up different groups on different days with breaks in between.

It all sounds like a lot of work, but lets face it, 100 lbs is a lot of weight. I’m almost there myself and I tell you what, once you shed the first 30-40 you will feel like a totally different person and it will inspire you that much more to keep it up.

Good luck dude!

I’m 48 years old at 215 Lbs myself. When I work out, I am more focused on getting healthier. Loosing weight is not 100% of the answer. By just looking at the scale, I have not gained or lost anything over the past couple of years. In my estimation, I think that I have lost more than 30 Lbs of fat and gained more than 30 Lbs of muscle. However, I feel 500 times better, healthier, and stronger, and my endurance is MUCH better.

I went to a local used exercise equipment reseller and purchased an old model Bowflex XLT. It is capable of doing all the same exercises as the new Bowflex Total home gyms (New these go for around $2,000). But because the XLT model is no longer in production, it was very inexpensive and I payed less than $200. This was my best spent money ever. Now I just work out around 20 minutes almost every other day on the Bowflex. I then substitute some workouts for rides on my mountain bike or long walks around my neighborhood with my wife.

I know that I am no longer 20 years old, so I can’t eat everything without a care in the world anymore and expect to stay healthy. For my diet because my cholesterol is a bit high, I cut way down on:

* Fried foods
      * Greasy foods (like ribs and burgers)
      * Foods with lots of butter or lard (cookies – croissants – muffins)
      * Sour cream
      * Foods with a ton of cheese or cream sauces
      * Ice cream (mostly heavy cream)
      * Mayonnaise (mostly oil)
      * Sugary drinks (all sodas, lemonade, fruit juices)

I cut my food portions down in size. I also changed the portions to make more of it veggies and less of it carbs, and meat.

So far these changes have made a HUGE difference for me. I am no fitness expert, and not a nutritionist. This is by no means a really fast way of loosing weight, nor a way to quickly train for a race. This is more of a long term lifestyle change to improve my health. I am not at 100% of my health goals, but I am well on my way.

http://robbwolf.com/
      PALEO LIFESTYLE is by far the best thing I have done.

Have you started by discussing this with your doctor? 245 is no lightweight unless you are about 7 feet tall or a bodybuilder that puts you close to the obese mark. I would get a good plan together based of sound medical advice, not what stranger on a forum say. This is bigger than a tire or gearing, this is your life Charlie Brown.

"jtorlando25" wrote

A very easy way to keep track of this, is via a website called loseit.com That’s how I got started and after the first 70 lbs came off, I was able to count calories without much effort, knowing what most of the foods I consume contain.

Thanks for the adivce. I’ve been using Weight Watchers for a long time, and have been stuck in a rut. This website looks like it might be the change I’ve been looking for. Going to give it a try.

"PSUtuna" wrote

[quote="jtorlando25":of5j95of]A very easy way to keep track of this, is via a website called loseit.com That’s how I got started and after the first 70 lbs came off, I was able to count calories without much effort, knowing what most of the foods I consume contain.

[/quote:of5j95of]

I tried out tracking my calories with loseit.com for a few months. Using this tool I discovered several things:

1. I discovered that too many of my calories were coming from drinking fruit juices.
      2. Most of my portion sizes were pretty good. I usually went over on my calorie count with carb items like bread, potatoes, or rice.
      3. I also did not eat enough vegetables.

I fixed all of these problems by drinking water instead of juice, cutting way back on carb portions, and adding more veggies. This was a fantastic tool for me to adjust my eating habits. When I started to see some good results, I also became more motivated and stepped up my work-outs.

The BEST dieting rule you can live by, is if it comes in a box don’t eat it, if it came in a bottle don’t drink it. That means fresh fruits, veggies, meat, and grains. Cut out dairy completely. ( I confess I still eat cheese, but I am also at a good weight now in pretty good health) Cook for yourself, avoid ALL restaurants. Drink tea and water and fresh juices.

Stay active and stay positive, good to see you trying to improve your life.

thanks ive started eating fruits with my lunches and only eating one sandwich and im also trying to snack on fruits or veggies instead of chips.. theres a biggest loser weight loss challenge starting friday at work and lasts 12 weeks this should give me some motivation not to mention who ever loses the most weight gets the money from the pot at 10 dollars per person

"musikron" wrote

The BEST dieting rule you can live by, is if it comes in a box don’t eat it, if it came in a bottle don’t drink it. That means fresh fruits, veggies, meat, and grains. Cut out dairy completely. ( I confess I still eat cheese, but I am also at a good weight now in pretty good health) Cook for yourself, avoid ALL restaurants. Drink tea and water and fresh juices.

I’ve gotta say you are totally right on this! I quit almost all pre-boxed or made items and it really helped! Also, I couldn’t believe how much sodium is in that stuff! You can easily hit your daily amount of sodium just at breakfast if you aren’t careful eating prepackaged foods.

The Insanity workout builds your legs and cardio real good. Also builds flexibility and core strength. I was 237 lbs. and went down to 186 lbs. but I haven’t been doing workout lately and now up to 190 lbs.

ive been running on the eliptical and riding the exercise bike of course. ive seen great results from insanity about how much are the dvds and how long are the workouts

I bought them about a year ago. I think I paid $160… I think. First month workouts are about 30-40 minutes. And the second month workouts are about double that. Each workout varies in time.

I wewnt from 269# in Nov. to 215# in Jan. my wife started Ideal Wiegh and I got alternative products from Walmart low carbs and enough protien for your body only have limited carbs until you lose to your goal then slowly and some carbs still have to stay off alot of carbs but you feel much better and have insane energy thats why I had to get back on my bike I recommend this diet to any one worked great for me

Alternative products like low carb food? Ive cut down my portions at dinner and lunch run on the elliptical and ride the bike and I’ve been losing 2 pounds a week

"lovemountainbiking12" wrote

I’ve been losing 2 pounds a week

That’s what’s up! Keep it up!

Thanks man I’ve been losing 2 pounds a week for 3 weeks if I can do that For 12 weeks that’ll be 24 pounds at the end of the biggest loser challenge at work

I went with Pure Protien brand products all low carb and dont taste to bad for protien shakes and bars was losing 5 to 7 pounds aweek for the first month any brand of protien will work just get the low carb and not the mass building and then hit nthe gym and ride whenever you can

Sounds easy enough to me

I have been looking for some mountain bike specific work outs and came across James Wilson’s feed on Youtube.com. Has anyone else followed him and used any of his techniques to strength train for mountain biking? I have started on with some of his body weight only moves and plan on buying some kettle bell weights to move forward!

"Stl_Greaser" wrote

I have been looking for some mountain bike specific work outs and came across James Wilson’s feed on Youtube.com. Has anyone else followed him and used any of his techniques to strength train for mountain biking? I have started on with some of his body weight only moves and plan on buying some kettle bell weights to move forward!

Yeah bikejames is probably one of the best mtb guys offering weight training info. He’s guest posted here before, and we’ve reviewed some of his products:

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr … il-riders/
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr … ike-james/
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr … he-making/

He sure seemed to have it down from watching his videos. I am glad I found this resource to learn from!

"gar29" wrote

[quote="musikron":3nyj2sw3]The BEST dieting rule you can live by, is if it comes in a box don’t eat it, if it came in a bottle don’t drink it. That means fresh fruits, veggies, meat, and grains. Cut out dairy completely. ( I confess I still eat cheese, but I am also at a good weight now in pretty good health) Cook for yourself, avoid ALL restaurants. Drink tea and water and fresh juices.

I’ve gotta say you are totally right on this! I quit almost all pre-boxed or made items and it really helped! Also, I couldn’t believe how much sodium is in that stuff! You can easily hit your daily amount of sodium just at breakfast if you aren’t careful eating prepackaged foods.[/quote:3nyj2sw3]

This is totally false. Contrary to so many on this board, you don’t have to stop eating the things you enjoy, become anemic and have your house perpetually smell like bean curd. Cheerios come in a box and I eat them everyday. They work very well for cholesterol. Kool Aid is great, just mix it half strength. I love coke (the drink) and cream soda. I drink probably a six pack per week with no worries. Basically, I eat and drink what I want but keep it within reason (except beer…i’m a bit excessive).
      Just make sure when you have the soft drink, or the pizza, or the California burrito with extra cheese sauce, or the etc. etc. etc. that you work it off. Working off a 12 oz coke of 150 calories takes about 15 minutes on a treadmill or stationary bike. A Cali burrito about an hour. So, that being said, when you get the craving for something eat it when you can work it off. I’m 36 years old and around 200 lbs. About two years ago I was 225, lost 30 lbs on some of these "diets" and eventually put it back on. I decided dieting is stupid. Eat what you want. Your body runs on calories. When you eat something high in calories like a donut, soft drink or whatever, just doe the required work to burn it. Really, its that simple.
      After I quit dieting and started eating like a regular person, I am now down to 195. I drink a case of beer per week, a six pack of soft drinks, I eat pizza at least once per week, hamburgers, hot dogs etc. etc. and my cholesterol is okay, my BP is WDL, and I feel great. But i exercise. When I exercise, I blow it out. Don’t dick around. Ride hard. Get that HR going. Lift more weights than cardio or at least go half and push yourself. Max out once every two weeks. You know the old saying "no pain, no gain?" Well it rings true no matter how many who want to dispute its meaning. Make it hurt. Roll out of bed for a few weeks. What you will find is that eventually you will begin popping out of bed with no back ache. You will feel ten times better.
      Oh yeah, I almost forgot the "cut out dairy completely." What a joke! I drink a gallon every other day (fat free). Milk is probably one of the most essential liquids/foods humans can consume. As most MDs and dietitians will tell you, eliminating anything from your diet altogether is pretty unhealthy unless all you eat deep fried ice cream with deep fried butter. Milk provides many essential vitamins, minerals and protein in one 8 oz glass. Sure you can find those in other places, but why? Again, its simple. If you eat a lunch high in fat or carbs, work it off and have a lighter dinner. You want a double cheeseburger with extra bacon for dinner? Skip the fries with that and have cheerios with a dabble of honey for breakfast. Live good, (wo)man. You know you’re body better than anyone else.

You can eat what you want only when you ride flat pedals and tubeless tires on a 29 inch bike. Any other setup and you need to exclude dairy, partially hydrogenated oils and red M & M’s.

"schwim" wrote

You can eat what you want only when you ride flat pedals and tubeless tires on a 29 inch bike. Any other setup and you need to exclude dairy, partially hydrogenated oils and red M & M’s.

I live for those red M & Ms

"schwim" wrote

Damn, I’m riding flats on my 29er, but haven’t converted to tubless yet… I guess I should stop filling my camelpak with half and half. 😐

I lost 18 pounds during the 12 week challenge at work gained some of it back time to get more serious now that I moved and have my bike fixed and I agree if you give up the foods you love you’ll go insane lol I just cut back on my portions

Viewing 27 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.