Woman endos and injures spine, wins settlement from county

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Woman endos and injures spine, wins settlement from county

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      A woman who was mountain-biking on trails at the popular Quiet Waters Park in Deerfield Beach says she flew over the handlebars and landed almost head-first on the ground, seriously injuring her spine.

Broward County taxpayers will pay $17,500 to the woman under a proposed settlement to be voted on Thursday by the Broward County Commission.

"It was a novice person trying something she shouldn’t have been trying,” Williams said. "I’m sorry. I have very little sympathy for someone who causes their own injury and wants to blame it on someone else."

Read the full article here: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/browar … 8056.story

I really shouldn’t be surprised that crap like this happens, but somehow I still am. It’s mountain biking, people. Ride within your limits, and if you get injured… well turns out that you weren’t.

That’s why I like Colorado, we have ‘inherently dangerous’ clauses in the law books here specifically to protect landowners, resort operators, etc.

On the other hand, a guy being a numb-nuts is why we have ‘lawyer tabs’ on front forks now. 😏

You can thank the ski industry for that law here in CO. Once upon a time, there was concern that ski area liability costs were driving up ski costs in CO to the point we might be losing significant business. The tightening up of the "do this at your own risk" laws was designed to keep Colorado Ski Country economically viable, which it did. The porsitive corollary effect on MTBing and other activities is also most welcome.

Yeah it actually applied to everything: biking, equestrian, waterparks, etc.

Just one more reason to move to CO I guess 😃

Man I’ve crashed and had it seem to last 15 min. but I never got a check. Musta been on the wrong trail. 😄 Later,

Based on this article it doesn’t look she won anything yet..It says they still have to vote on it and it says she is "seeking" compensation…

am I missing something?

"Spartan" wrote

Based on this article it doesn’t look she won anything yet..It says they still have to vote on it and it says she is "seeking" compensation…

am I missing something?

That’s the way I read it also. Hopefully she gets nothing.

its just mtbgreg with his sensational titles to suck us in…

lol

You guys are right– that one line is confusing bc on the one hand it says taxpayers WILL pay and then on the other it says that they still have to vote on it.

But spartan is right… That title wouldn’t have the same effect 😃

What is a shame is that you can bring the case at all…these cases would not be in court if the plaintiff had to pay all costs after they lost a frivilous case…just another thing wrong in our court system which contributes to rising costs for everything and for everyone! What is $17000 dollars going to do for her anyway? Just a cash grab…

From the article, it isn’t clear whether the county has incurred any liability. Perhaps the trail isn’t properly marked, or there is some hazard that resulted in her injury. We can’t tell, but it’s unlikely that the council will vote to simply reward stupidity without a lawyer recommending that they do so.

Clearly, we only have a glimpse of the full picture.

I hope she gets nothing but a headache. What a jerk. A stupid, selfish, bottom of the barrel scum-sucking loser of a human being.

"Fitch" wrote

I hope she gets nothing but a headache. What a jerk. A stupid, selfish, bottom of the barrel scum-sucking loser of a human being.

Ouch!

I’ve wrecked thousands of times, how come I’m not a millionaire? Oh, that’s right, they were my own fault! Florida definitely needs inherent risk laws before trails are forced to close, but that would be common sense, something most people don’t seem to have anymore, same with personal responsibility!

If you’re not crashing, you’re not mountain biking. I probable have about $100,000 worth of crashes this season.

If I don’t come off my bike atleast once, I’m not riding hard enough…. My pockets should be over flowing….

I am glad it is not like this in the UK, Well yet the number of injury lawyer companies here now is crazy.

That is one of my home trails, and it is one of the easier ones..I wish flat tires on her all the time!

That shit really pisses me off. I’m really sorry she hurt her self but seriously, whatever
      Happened to accountability?!

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.