Wire vs. Folding Bead

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have 26X2.10 Kenda Nevegal DTC wire bead tires on my bike. I was wondering what the difference between the bead types and if there are any advantages/disadvantages with one or the other.

Hey Rdeleg,there are steel wire beads and kevlar beads.The steel wire beads are heavier and dont fold up where as the kevlar beads are lighter and flexible so that they can be folded up.If you pack an extra tire with you on a mtn bike outting and need to fold up a tire to fit in your pack,then the advantage goes to the kevlar bead where it can be folded to store in a pack for convinence.You dont want to go for a long ride with some stupid tire hanging around your neck,hahahahaha,I wouldnt anyways.hahaha.
      If your a racer and weight weenie,then obviously you also want the lighter version of the kevlar bead.

The steel wire beads are heavier and dont fold up

Got to thinking and remembered that a steel wire bead can be folded,check out this link to a video,you gotta have a quick time download if you dont already but it’s an interesting video.I tried to link the video itself but couldnt get it right so scroll down to the paragraph about the tire bead and find the link to click on,sorry it’s a little complicated.

[url:32m0cb2b]http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html[/url:32m0cb2b]

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.