Winter Trip

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hey you guys I am in college at the moment, and I have been considering taking a weekend trip somewhere to go riding. I’m from Charlotte, and I’m down to go anywhere in the surrounding states (or NC). I have never ridden outside of Charlotte before so it’s kind of new to me, is there anywhere that you guys would recommend for someone to ride and camp in early December? my only thing is that I am not that big a fan of snow …

"johnpaul" wrote

Hey you guys I am in college at the moment, and I have been considering taking a weekend trip somewhere to go riding. I’m from Charlotte, and I’m down to go anywhere in the surrounding states (or NC). I have never ridden outside of Charlotte before so it’s kind of new to me, is there anywhere that you guys would recommend for someone to ride and camp in early December? my only thing is that I am not that big a fan of snow …

Paris Mountain State Park in Greenville, SC area or Oconee State Park in Mountain Rest, SC area. Hilltop Bike Park is just 2 miles back from Oconee State Park. Isaqueena Trails at Clemson Experimental Forest is pretty sweet with quite a few County Parks around to camp at. F.A.T.S in the North Augusta area of SC is pretty sweet as well. The only thing with Paris Mountain, no MTB’s are allowed on the trails or road on Saturdays because it is hikers day. Even though, just 5 miles up the road (north) in Travelers Rest, SC their is Gateway Bike Park at Gateway County Park. We spend our Saturdays here, and it is a pretty awesome skills park. Small pump track and a big flow track along with many skills section in the back and trails surround the park itself.

In FL their is "Tom Brown" in the Tallahassee area, "Santos" in the Ocala area (IMBA Certified Epic), and Alafia State Park (Alafia MTB Park). All of these are totally epic, and Santos adds a good bit of FR at the Vortex Pit.

All these areas are awesome rides, and offer no snow pretty much this time of year. FL trails especially! 😄

Good luck and have fun!

The Augusta GA/North Augusta SC area (~3 hrs from Charlotte) is a bronze level ride center which has 155 miles of trails, ranging from buff flow style trail to sweet old school singletrack. Considering the lack of elevation change, Augusta/N. Augusta has it all, with decent weather in the winter. Several great bike shops are around in case of repairs, advice, etc. Accomodations range from backcountry campsites all the way up to expensive hotels. Pick your poison.

Check out [url:7jg2iptr]http://www.sorbacsra.org[/url:7jg2iptr] for more info.

+1 – another vote for Augusta for milder climate and riding. Nothing super technical, but miles and miles and miles and miles and miles of trails.

The best location for camping and riding that time of year is totally weather-dependent. You could have fantastic camping and riding weather even in the mountains of Georgia and North Carolina… or it could be cold and snowy. If it was me, I’d wait until the date got closer (say, a week out), and then make a decision based on weather patterns.

For good mountain locations, be sure to check out Ellijay, Georgia or Brevard, North Carolina.

http://www.singletracks.com/Georgia-bik … ijay%2C+GA
      http://www.singletracks.com/North-Carol … vard%2C+NC

yeah i was planning on waiting until then to choose where I wanted to go, but I wanted to see what a couple of options are and where you guys think are some good areas.

Douthat State park in Virginia has excellent trails and camping. They have nice cabins also that are impossible to get except in the winter. 40 miles of trails in the park and probably double that outside the park in the George Washington National Forest. As Greg describes the weather in western North Carolina it will be hit or miss also in western Virginia.

Last weekend I ran into three different groups from Charlotte at FATS. All were having a blast and mentioned they wanted to come back. Drive is about 3 hours. If you do come and camp, hit Petersburg Campground which is ten minutes from FATS but also has 18 miles of Bartram Trail with more miles you could add to it.

MTI

Hey man check out this place in Ellijay, GA. This is my new favorite ride the Pinhoti Trails are just fantastic! Gregg suggested it a year ago. I’ve been there a couple of times now. They have cabins for like $85 a night which includes some great meals or camping I think for $15 a night WHICH INCLUDES HOT SHOWERS!. Good luck! I included my Strava link on this. These are the most popular trails but there are more I have not tried out yet. The coolest thing is you park your car and all the trails are right there you ride in and out. Ride a Pinhoti Trail and go back to MG to eat, go out and ride etc. Super staff as well.

http://mulberrygap.com/

http://www.strava.com/activities/85608435

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.