Winter Training Ideas?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Everybody’s got their own, and I’m interested in hearing them…
      What are some training schedules of those of you who live in cold weather blues between seasons?
      Mine?
      three days a week in the weight room
      three days a week on a bike: either spinning or outside.
      one day off

Just as a side note: I recently started mountain unicycling 😃
      It is an humbling experience, and quite a workout to boot!

I took up snowshoeing this winter, and I LOVE IT!!!

But yeah, weights and stationary trainer—those too.

cjm

I moved away from the snow!

Yoga has been very good to me when not riding. Yoga works balance, flexibility, and breathing. Hot sweaty chicks, too!!

I joined a spinning class at my gym. It is much harder than I thought it would be. It’s great cardio and keeps me on a bike, sorta.

My winter training routine involves eating burritos and drinking beer.

I still ride, I just do easier trails

When you have 30" of snow outside it’s hard to get the bike out.

"jboyd122" wrote

When you have 30" of snow outside it’s hard to get the bike out.

LMAO!! I still try, that will work you.. trust me. I guess I also have indoor bike trainer and put in a good movie

If you are going to the gym in the dead of winter, I find that the eliptical climber’s interval level is great! You can go two minutues heavy and two light for up to an hour! The heavy part, you can put the incline at 15 and adjust the resistance to whatever gets your heart rate in the proper zone but I find that it can mimick the same motion od riding. Just something different if you get bored. 😮

i still ride as long as its not fridged or alot of snow. hit the gym, eliptical, stair master and weights.

"maddslacker" wrote

Love your training routine 😄 might have to give a try lol… 😄

Reviving this thread.

The cold weather is coming! How does everybody’s training routine cope with the cold weather?

"jboyd122" wrote

Reviving this thread.

The cold weather is coming! How does everybody’s training routine cope with the cold weather?

Per Coach Maddslacker’s advice, my fridge is full of burritos and beer!

"jboyd122" wrote

Reviving this thread.

I live in the south…so, I just wear thicker socks and put on arm/leg warmers till I get warmed up 😃

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="jboyd122":7jmzp0sv]Reviving this thread.

I live in the south…so, I just wear thicker socks and put on arm/leg warmers till I get warmed up 😃[/quote:7jmzp0sv]

Man I miss my home town of Augusta, GA 😢 . The Coast Guard stuck me in Odenton, MD. I will be looking for winter appearel for some winter riding.

"maddslacker" wrote

Beer is how we know god loves us

"ChiliPepper" wrote

Mmmmm, yeeeessssss, Burritos and Corona! 😄 Damn it, I wish we had a drueling emotion icon…. 😕

You guys in Florida can buy Bell’s Oberon all year round right? Up here in Michigan (45minutes from Bell’s Brewery) it’s a seasonal beer. Apr 1-Oct 1. If you have’nt tried it go buy a sixer and you won’t regret it. My favorite 😃

This was my 1st season riding trails and I can say Its gonna be a long winter. I plan on spending some time on the treadmill and I have signed up for a spin class at my gym.

cross-country skiing is a great way to keep the legs and lungs in shape while still being outside. I spend the majority of my winter on skis. Snowshoeing is another great alternative that keeps me in shape. Anything to avoid having to go to an indoor gym!! 😃

This is a personal favorite topic of mine due to the fact that I am a personal trainer, and am going to college for Exercise Science. One main principle really sums it up for me, "Periodization." I come out of the fall season when the weather starts getting really cold and sloppy hitting the gym more frequently and keeping cross-training and recovery from the main season in mind. I start taking cardio down a bit and doing non-bike specific forms of cardio, such as running for shorter periods of time (~30 minutes). But most of my focus at that time of year is full-body strength training. Higher weight, moderate reps (8+ reps per set), and fewer sets (no less than 3 sets plus a warm up set). Once January/the middle of winter comes around, I start doing my muscle endurance based workouts, and some semi-related bike cardio (rowers [for the same back muscles you use for pulling up on the handlebars], ellipticals, and jump rope [great for calf strength and particullarly good for sprinting on a bike]). My resistance based workouts at this time start relying more-so on cable machines and with resistance bands for more dynamic movements, rather then heavier free-weight workouts. My reps, and sets also go up in count during this phase of my year. As it gets closer to the start of the season, I start relying more heavily on cardio (especially running) and flexibility training. So far, this plan is working out VERY well for me.

I highly recommend checking out http://www.bikejames.com. He’s the trainer for the Yeti World Cup DH team, and owns a company called MTB Strength Training. Good stuff, check it out.

Also, for those of you who have not already tried it, I really recommend checking out kettlebell workouts for your free weight training. I’ve achieved higher levels of proprioception (look it up on google), flexibility, strength, and full body coordination with kettlebells than any other form of free weight training.

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.