Winter Clothing Recommendations

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

First off, let me just say this site is awesome. The trail descriptions, directions and pics are fantastic. I have discovered more riding acreage in the last 3 months by visiting this site than I have in 15 years of living in the Denver area. Thank You!

I just started getting back into cycling after a 10 year hiatus. Unfortunatley my timing is off becuase now it is getting cold out but I still want to ride. Anybody have any general recomendations on a good strategy for dressing for winter rides. I am not to hardcore so probably 30-40 degrees plus and dry weather. The challenge is to dress for a ride that involves a hard heat producing ascent followed by a cold, windy descent back down. I know layering is the way to go but what do you do with the layers you peel off? Just ride with a back pack I guess.

Anyway, looking forward to some great tips and recomendations.

By the way, my kids take most of my money so I don’t have a lot to spend. (who does I guess, right)

Thanks,
      Jeeper

I like to keep things simple. I suggest a good pair of riding pants (they breath yet are warm), a couple layers of poly (like a long sleeve riding shirt and a fleece jacket/pullover) to wick away moisture and stay warm even when damp, a good breathable wind shell to go over the layers, and a good pair of full-finger winter riding gloves. Normally I only have a layer or two to peel off, so I just tie them around my waist. If you have more, then yes, a backpack would be good. Unless I’m doing a lot of miles — like more than a couple hours — I avoid backpacks when riding (any season) because I don’t like having a sweaty spot in the middle of my back. If you get really serious and start riding in below freezing temps, then some booties to go over your riding shoes could come in handy, too.

Sleeve less wicking 1st, long sleeve that you can pull the arms up on 2nd and legings or knikers to keep the knees warm. The rest is up to the weather. Roadies keep small light windbreakers that will roll into a jersey pocket.

I have two drawers of stuff to mix and match. But we ride any conditions in (California).

Have fun!!!

Thanks for taking the time for sharing your experience with me.

That is just the advice I was looking for.

There are allot of variables….
      1. How much can you handle?
      2. How cold does it get where you plan to ride?
      3. What kind of riding will you be doing?

Most people, just wear a baselayer, and maybe another layer, and a softshell jacket, skull cap under the helmet, cycling gloves, thermal cycling tights, & thermal sox, with winter cycling shoes. Don’t forget, you may feel cold at the start of the ride, but once you start riding, you’ll be generating allot of heat. So you will be sweating after awhile.

It’s really all personal preference. I’ve found that I can comfortably wear a lot less than many other people in the cold. I’m just really hot natured. I’m that guy with sweat dripping on his top tube when it’s 35*F….

I see guys riding with tights and jackets when it’s 60* – I’d burn alive!! At 60*F I’m wearing the same thing I wear when it’s 100*F, I’m just not sweating as much haha.

If it’s below 55*F I wear something over my knees to protect the cartilidge (sp?). If a ride starts cool but will warm up, that means regular shorts with knee warmers (I have some Specialized knee warmers that are great, fuzzy on the front, thin on the back, and they stay put). If it’ll stay cool the entire time, I have a pair of 3/4 length knickers are my go-to piece. They have a fuzzy "roubaix" fabric on the inside, but don’t get nearly as hot as full length tights. I have these: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … b-kickers/

I really like arm warmers unless it’s REALLY cold. I’ve found with most long sleeve jerseys my arms will sweat and get too hot, but with the tight fit of armwarmers the sweat is wicked away instantly and I stay warm but without the hot/wet arms. I do have a thin long sleeve merino wool jersey that I love, it breathes nicely, doesn’t get too hot, and I pull the sleeves up if needed. The problem with merino jerseys is they sag like crazy if you put much of anything in the pockets. With arm warmers you can pull them down around your wrists for the long climb, and then quickly pull them back up before dropping down the descent.

I’ve got a thin windbreaker, also from Specialized, and the arms will zip off turning it into a vest, which is how I use it pretty much all the time. It’s great too, adds a little insulation, blocks the wind, and the back has some mesh so it will breathe. It’s also got dual zippers on the front, so you can unzip it part of the way from both the top and bottom.

Arm warmers, knee warmers, and the vest will all roll up and pack down and fit in jersey pockets. If I know the ride will start cold but warm up, I’ll dress a litte light and just deal with being cold the first part of the ride, then I don’t have to haul all that stuff around the rest of the ride.

Merino wool socks are the business!! You can find them for reasonable prices in surprising places, I’ve gotten a few pair from Marshalls. REI branded socks are nice too and not too pricey.

Good winter shoes are an investment, but some of the best money I’ve ever spent. I have some Specialized Defrosters – they’re wind and waterproof, yet still breathe thanks to the GoreTex fabric. My feet don’t get cold in them. Booties work well too for stopping wind and some water, but if you have to do much walking they get torn up. This will be season #3 or 4 for my shoes, so even though they cost more up front, they do last a lot longer.

Examples:
      This morning’s commute (10 miles, little over 30min ride on the road) it was 40*F. But on the way home today it will be in the low 60’s. So I used regular shorts and jersey, knee and arm warmers, winter gloves, the vest, and wool socks in my regular "summer" shoes. Oh, and a cycling cap. My feet were a little cold by the time I got to work, but not too bad. On the ride home I’ll put the cap, vest, and arm/knee warmers in the pannier and I’ll be nice and comfy.

On a MTB ride two weeks ago it was 53*F when we started but would warm to mid 60’s by the time we finished. I used wool socks and added the knee warmers. I left the arm warmers in the car, I knew they’d be too warm for me before too long. It was chilly the first 20mins or so, but then I was good. At the half way point in the ride I pulled the knee warmers off and stuffed them in a jersey pocket.

Holy thread resurrection.

Check out this article: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … er-mtbing/

"mtbgreg1" wrote

LOL, I didn’t even look at the date.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

I was thinking the same thing when I saw some of the old forum names and checked the date. Some things don’t change that much. Unlike bikes and lights the clothing options really have not changed that much. I’m still trying to figure it out. I have winter boots for the first time, I hope they help my cold natured feet stay warm. 😃

I saw the word old,,,,, how bout experienced posts much more P.C. 😆

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":6vtcthq2]Holy thread resurrection.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw some of the old forum names and checked the date. Some things don’t change that much. Unlike bikes and lights the clothing options really have not changed that much. I’m still trying to figure it out. I have winter boots for the first time, I hope they help my cold natured feet stay warm. 😃[/quote:6vtcthq2]

Winter boots, yes!!! I bust out my Lands End’s when the snow is frozen crunchy. They bite my flats good and my feet feel great. That with some jeans and a North Face jacket and it’s on! I don’t normally dress warmer until 30ish anyway. Bring that thread back!!! 😆

Two words: Bar mitts

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.