Wilderness Adventures tour and a snowy ridge ride

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Last Saturday I joined some other charter members from Roanoke IMBA (RIMBA) for a lunch and tour of Wilderness Adventures at Eagles Landing in Craig county VA. We were discussing some common ground that includes some trail work in their area (my focus) as well as some other possible events in the future. Stay tuned on that.

I had thought it was just a lodge but the place is much more than that. A retreat, it attracts business, church and other groups from far and wide. I was surprised that the place seemed pretty full the first weekend in February, not exactly prime tourist season in these parts.

They are on a 500 acre spread on Craig Creek.

The main lodge is an attractive log structure.

This part was original I believe, and only found out as a log cabin when they started remodeling.

Dan and Julie gave us the tour

I believe MTBGreg knows this place

Some cool old buses set out to pasture

Zipline

Thanks Dan and Julie for the guided tour and great lunch. Quite an impressive facility that is truly in the middle of nowhere.

Now, this is my kind of adventure planning room

A couple of us were in ride deprivation, so we wanted to get in a fairly short ride after the tour – and before dark.

Right before we started, a snowstorm moved in making things – interesting.

The mile or so hike a bike on Price Mountain is tough dry.

Add snow, and the climb is tougher

On top wasn’t too bad

The descent off the side of the mountain to Sulphur Ridge was most interesting
      And more dangerous than I liked. We dubbed and walked a lot the first mile. My riding partners cleats froze up so she was only half clipped in for most of the ride

After the first mile the trail drops down on another ridge and the rest of the ride was good.

The end of the trail

Thank you for sharing! My jaw dropped from the start

That snowy bridge looks super sketchy. I’m guessing by the lack of tire tracks you (wisely) didn’t attempt it. 😀

"jeff" wrote

That snowy bridge looks super sketchy. I’m guessing by the lack of tire tracks you (wisely) didn’t attempt it. 😀

I tiptoed across the bridge. Closest call I had the whole ride was the bank on the other side of the bridge. Its skinny and steep so you have to carry your bike. I slipped and almost went down to the creek.

Yep, I know that cabin very well! 😀 I need to do my own write-up on Wilderness Adventure.

That would be a great place for a trip. Trails right out the door and a rustic lodge. I dig it!

Very cool cabins/lodges. I’m not familiar with Wilderness Adventures. Will have to check them out.

"fleetwood" wrote

Very cool cabins/lodges. I’m not familiar with Wilderness Adventures. Will have to check them out.

I knew they were there but never really anything else about them. They cater to groups so in theory a bike club could rent a cabin there. The cabins are really nice with multiple bunks. They serve meals in the main lodge. The trails we were on are probably 5 miles away, half that as the crow flies. I am sure there are other trails closer to the lodge. You are right smack in the middle of thousands of acres of Jefferson National Forest.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.