Why you carry tools…

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Why you carry tools…

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I was getting in a midweek ride yesterday evening when I noticed my chain was starting to rub my front derailleur. I was in the middle of a climb and had a good rhythm, so I just kept peddling. As soon as I get to the top my left foot goes straight to the ground. This caught me by surprise so I look down to see what was going on and attached to bottom of my shoe is my pedal. And from that pedal extended the left arm of my crank. Definitely not attached where it was suppose to be. After detaching said pedal I start to look at what had happened. Why is my crank arm not attached to my crank. After about 1000 miles on the crank the teeth of the gear ring has started to wear. Nothing I could do where I was, so I walked it out. Got back to the truck slapped it on the rack and went to work. I keep a small tool bag in my truck. In it I keep rags, grease, small wire brush, pliers, crescent wrench, allen wrenches, two screw drivers, two flat heads, chain break, spoke wrench, chain oil, rear cassette break bar and few other assorted odds and ins.ย  In 10 minutes I was able to fix the problem and get back on the trail to finish my ride. Wasn’t the first time, nor will it be the last, that little medicine bag of goodness has come in handy.

Now I am shopping for a new crank… ๐Ÿ™‚

In it I keep rags, grease, small wire brush, pliers, crescent wrench, allen wrenches, two screw drivers, two flat heads, chain break, spoke wrench, chain oil, rear cassette break bar and few other assorted odds and ins.

Hehe, of the list of tools you keep in your truck, I carry everything(and more like two sized tubes, master links for 8, 9 and 10 speed),ย  but the grease and wire brush in my pack on every ride.ย  I’m not a fan of walking out. ๐Ÿ™‚

That’s a heck of back pack, I have considered getting a larger camel back to do just that. Plus the added weight wouldn’t be a bad thing for the exercise. Walking out isn’t much fun…

The pack I use is the CB M.U.L.E.ย  It’s contents on a regular day:

3 liters of water or less, depending on heat and distance

Main Pouch:
      First Aid kit
      29″ tube
      26″ tube (stretchable for the tweener guys)
      TP!
      tire pump
      shock pump
      phone sits at the top

Small outer pouch:
      derailleur hanger
      21 tool with chain breaker
      2 masterlinks for each size
      patch kit
      duct tape
      zip ties
      stub crescent wrench
      cassette socket
      cheap light
      portable USB battery charger
      whatever snack I have, usually larabar and shockblocks
      wallet

Outer zip pouch:
      keys

Outer mesh netting:
      foldable tree saw
      branch clippers

There’s some other odds and ends I carry but I think this list is pretty complete for me.ย  I might have missed a thing or two ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn’t start out with this much of a list, but added what I needed as I either needed something myself or came across someone in a pinch.ย ย  The tree saw gets used almost every ride as we get a lot of downed trees due to storms.

Needle nose pliers seem to be an under-appreciated trail. A friend carries a pair and I’ve borrowed his on the trail so many time I probably should buy him a new pair at some point. ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree. I’ve used them to do lots, including tightening up some slipped derailleur cables and the clips from the Elixir pads. I’ve got a pair on a multitool that’s also in the pack which I neglected to include on the list.

Even when I do my usual 10-12 mile ride I still ride with a pack. It can get you out of some tough situations pretty fast. Just two weeks ago I avoided aย reallyย long walk out by having the tools to fix a broken chain.

That’s quite a pack full Schwim! ย Do you rattle down the trail or do you have the stuff padded ๐Ÿ™‚

Well I don’t hear it, but that’s not saying much ๐Ÿ™‚

To be completely honest, it’s packed so tightly, I don’t think anything can move. If I’m carrying a full 3 liters of water, the pack is so full, the back of the pack is cylindrical shaped and doesn’t conform to my back, instead just pressing between my shoulder blades until I drink enough water.

Viewing 8 reply threads