Which tyre is more puncture/tear resistant – results based o

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Which tyre is more puncture/tear resistant – results based o

Tagged: 

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

While choosing MTB tyres for myself, I have faced the problem which is known probably for most of us – all advice on the forums wordlwide are based on personal experience mostly. And it is easy to realize that personal experience can often be just a coincidence (for example if 2 out of 2 rocket rons were torn to rocks and continental racekings were not torn during the same period, more chances are that I was just unlucky with rons and nobody can make a conclusion that Rocket Rons are 50%, 60% or 30% less tear-resistant compared to Continental RaceKings, right?).

So in short – I would like to run a project with a sole purpose to compare different MTB tyres, check how are they tear resistant and puncture resistant, on the sidewalls and in the middle (between the thread), and grade the tyres. For example:
      Rocket Ron SnakeSkin 2.2: Sidewall tear – 84Nm force, Sidewall puncture – 36Nm force, middle tear – 106Nm force, middle puncture – 49Nm foce
      This is just an idea which can be improved. In case there would be more interesants to start the project, I would cooperate with physics lab in one of university in my country (either KTU (http://www.ktu.lt) or VGTU (http://www.vgtu.lt)). All tests would be proceeded with standartized equipement (scalpels, darts etc. – all the same for all tests in order to eliminate any coincidences),in several different places in the same tyre and couple tyres from different lots.

A litthe about me: I am passionate about MTB/Cross country riding, sometime road riding, but my work is freelance webmaster/website creator and SEO service/online marketing provider.

Please post your comments or questions and if I will see there’s a demand for such project – I will offer several possible domain names for this project which we all could vote for and pick one, and I will create simple website for this future project with donation availability (fund will be used for test-tyres purchase and some % for lab tests). Later, if there will be enough funds, we will vote which tyres should be tested first (MTB tyres, could be both tubeless and general).

Post your opinion here or pm me. If you think project is not necessary – it’s ok too. Just I am very curious which tyres are most reliable for real, not just someone’s opinion or luck/not-luck.

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.