Which shoes for flat pedals???

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Which shoes for flat pedals???

--
SHARES

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  championstuff 4 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

I currently ride with a pair of Merrel hiking shoes. I ride mostly xc/ trail with some downhills, technical, up hills, a little bit of everything. I dont want to switch to clips at this time, so please stay on subject… But I was looking at some of the "fiveten Impacts" which are technically a ‘downhill shoe.’ Is a show like this going to be too grippy? I want something that sticks good but I dont want to get stuck to the pedals if I need my feet… I am going to do the Durango to Moab 250 mile ride this summer and I want to be ready, and train with the shoes that I will wear. Please let me know your input. Thank you!

"Michael Bonnette" wrote

I dont want to switch to clips at this time, so please stay on subject…

Bummer, cause I really wanted to shift this topic to bacon.

I’ve ridden Impacts, Vans(different models) and Chrome Kursk with pinned flats.

Impacts: Super grippy, didn’t stick when I didn’t want them to. Felt heavy to me when having to hump up a hill.

Vans: Loved them. Soles got eaten the most quickly

Chrome: Loved the stickiness HATED the stiffness. Only pair of shoes I dumped before wearing through due to the lack of flex during humping hills with them.

Of the three, I’d get another pair of Vans but the Impacts were great, long wearing well made.

I’ve purchased a dedicated MTB shoe and they’re awful for flat pedals. Why? They’re just not sticky enough for the flat pedals and constantly slip. My in-laws purchased me a pair of clipless pedals that I’m iffy on using at the moment, hence why I bought the MTB shoes. I currently use an old pair of light weight tennis shoes that does the job. I know its not ideal, but the heals are half chewed from the dog and this is the only way I can repurpose them.

The Five Tens aren’t too grippy, you just need to pick your foot up instead of trying to slid it around. However, they are pretty heavy, warmth wise at least. I’ve never weighed them and it’s not my feet that is carrying the extra weight. 😆

Aside from them being warm, my only other issue is a very, very small one. The laces holder is too close to the top of the tongue and it isn’t stretchy so it’s awkward/hard to use. Instead of using it, I just loosen one of the laces and shove the loose laces through that to keep them from flopping all over the place.

The grip, protection, and durability are all top notch. I’ve put over 2900 singletrack miles on mine and they’re still in really good shape considering all the rocks I’ve bashed them into.

I have a friend that has some Tevas and they look lighter than the Five Tens and another friend has a pair of Specialized 2FOs and they both like them quite a bit. The 2FOs are lighter than the Five Tens and their laces holder is stretchy. I’m not sure on the stiffness of either shoe, but I’ve found the Five Tens stiffness to be perfect.

I think whichever shoe you buy, you can’t go wrong. Just do a bunch of research and if you can get your hands on a few different models, go check them out.

Great shoes. I went to them after riding nothing but clipless for a decade.

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … -low-shoe/

I’ve found that my DVS Charge shoes are my favorite Trail shoe. They’re actually a skate shoe, so they have a grippy sole and decent padding. I have never purchased a bike specific shoe that wasn’t clipless, so for my flat pedals I would just wear one of my pairs of sneakers. I ended up with the DVS because they were at an eastbay sale and like I said they turned out to be my favorite trail shoe.

I like where this thread is going, as I am looking for some good MTB shoes for flat pedals.. Vans and DVS were already at the top of my list, but I also have a pair of Merrill hiking shoes that would probably work great as well. Following this thread with great interest!
    Scott

Five Ten Freeriders are great.

http://www.amazon.com/Five-Ten-Mens-Fre … B008XES5S4

I am currently riding the Danny Macaskills and like them a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Five-Ten-Danny-Ma … +macaskill

I tried out the Sam Hills, but I think they are very heavy/bulky. Probably a better shoe for DH, which makes sense.

5.10 Freerider, unless you are aggressive DH and are looking for more protection. Guaranteed smiles and satisfaction! You won’t be disappointed!

-GT

I have recently been asking myself the same question. I went to the local outlet mall to look for some skate shoes when I came across these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KUE8MTM/ref … VO99&psc=1 and absolutely LOVE them! nice flat surface , great grip but not so sticky that everything sticks to the sole (dirt,grass you get the point) good protection around your ankle as far as a low profile shoes goes. great quality build. My feet don’t roll or slip around as from torque applied to the pedal. Just my 2 cents. P.S. You can find them cheaper on other sites.

"GTXC4" wrote

5.10 Freerider, unless you are aggressive DH and are looking for more protection. Guaranteed smiles and satisfaction! You won’t be disappointed!

-GT

i second this. i use them and they are awesome

"championstuff" wrote

[quote="GTXC4":1f0xqg9k]5.10 Freerider, unless you are aggressive DH and are looking for more protection. Guaranteed smiles and satisfaction! You won’t be disappointed!

-GT

i second this. i use them and they are awesome[/quote:1f0xqg9k]

I third this. Also ride them and love them. I ride em with the deity decoys.

Currently I am using New Balance Leather 928 walking sneakers. The souls are fairly flat and the rubber is fairly soft. These are also very comfy for those times when you have to do those longer distance hike-a-bikes. So far no issues.

"Victor DiLorenzo" wrote

[quote="championstuff":2sjiul55][quote="GTXC4":2sjiul55]5.10 Freerider, unless you are aggressive DH and are looking for more protection. Guaranteed smiles and satisfaction! You won’t be disappointed!

-GT

i second this. i use them and they are awesome[/quote:2sjiul55]

I third this. Also ride them and love them. I ride em with the deity decoys.[/quote:2sjiul55]

I use Azonic Shoo-ins