Which pedals Candy 2 or XT M780

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Need opinions. I want to upgrade pedals. I have the Shimano M520 pedals right now that are a couple years old. Because of price point, I am inbetween the Crankbrothers Candy 2 and Shimano XT M780. I am favoring the XT M780 pedals. I have read many reviews on both, but still can’t decide. I know the Crankbrothers are lighter weight, but not sure if they are better quality and more durable. I mainly ride XC, and some technical stuff. I also do a few XC races a year. Thanks!

Factor in if you switch to Crank Bros you’ll also need different cleats.

Even though I am a Crank Bros fanboi, I would say if you’re already used to Shimano, just stick with them.

I switched over to Crank Brothers years ago and haven’t looked back. I have had no quality issues, the pedals are rock solid. One thing I like is the amount of float Crank Brothers pedals have. One problem you might have, switching from an SPD style pedal, is that you can’t adjust the release tension, which could be an issue if you like to be clamped in hard or super lite. Don’t get me wrong, I have no issues releasing the pedals or not feeling securely clipped in, even though I’ve been riding the same pedals for years.

This is just a general comparison on clip style, I haven’t ridden the XT pedals specifically.

I think i would stick with the 520… At 25-30$, its a price point that is hard to beat for the overall quality you get.

If weight is an issue, you might consider Crank Bros Eggbeater. With 4-points clamping, its a good choice for quick release and clipping in.

I have the entry level Candy and these are my first step in pedals. They are great for me and you can put the cleats on two ways. One has a narrow release angle and one has a wider release angle. (For how far you have to twist your foot out to be free)
      I have a size 7.5 us female shoe that is wide and that small platform around the clip is supportive enough for me.

Some guys I know like to feel more… Pedal surface under their foot.

JBX

my take on experience,
      I have always had shimano pedals with no issues
      I got a new bike and went ahead and got eggbeaters, have heard good things,
      I had problems engaging from the beginning and then the pedals spring got knocked out of align in a rock garden.
      Bottom line , I went and bought new XT’s because they are solid as a rock with zero engagement issues.
      year later, still no issues and they may be heavier but who cares, we are MTB bikers not roadies

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.