WHICH ONE?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

HELP ME OUT GUYS CANT DECIDE!…

Read the review about the Trek 6000 in MTB Action and it seems like it is the best money for your buck

I don’t think I”d go with a SS for a "starter" bike. It’s a little limiting for trail choices. Don’t get me wrong. There are plenty of people on SS bikes that can probably ride circles around most of us but I don’t consider them to be beginners either. Beginners will probably appreciate the extra gearing choices.

Looking at the price of the bikes he listed, I kinda doubt he’s a beginner. Or maybe he is, and is just really diving in!

I vote for the SS.

I have to agree with GG…Singlespeeds for a first bike is kinda limiting and if the rider doesn’t know how to read a trail, will be frustrating.

I even have a hard time riding with a SS..

Do we know this is his first bike?

EDIT: Saw his other post. He said he’s shopping for his first mtn bike, but he didn’t say if he rode any other dicipline (road, bmx, etc). I still vote for the SS. There’s no difference in reading the trail, you just pedal harder going up the hills. There’s less weight, and less chance of something breaking and leaving you stranded miles from your car.

Also, the specialized has an EBB, so you can add gears later if you like. It’s the most versatile of the bunch.

HEY GUYS IM READING YOUR COMMENTS AND THANK YOU FOR ALL UR IMPUT AND I CAN SEE WHY U ARE QUESTIONING MY STATEMENT SAYING IM A BEGGINER! WELL TO LET EVERYONE KNOW I AM A BEGGINER, IM A VERY COMPETETIVE PERSON AND I DONT LIKE TO BE LEFT IN THE DUST THAT IS WHY IM GOING ALL OUT FOR MY FIRST EVER MTB! I ACTUALLY JUST ORDERED THE GIANT AT MY LOCAL BIKE SHOP "BIKES DIRECT". THEY GAVE ME A GREAT DEAL AND LIFE TIME TUNE UP’S ON THE BIKE , COULD NOT PASS THAT UP! OUT THE DOOR FOR THE 2010 GIANT XTC 29ER 2 I PAID 1185.05…NEVER BOUGHT A MTB BEFOR BUT EVERYWHERE ELSE THEY WERE ABOVE 1300.00. HOPEFULLY I GOT A GOOD DEAL AND REMEMBER LIFE TIME TUNE UPS! HIT ME BACK AND LET ME KNOW WHAT U GUYS THINK AND MAYBE SOME ADVICE FOR A TRUE BEGGINER!
      THANKS TKM

You made a good choice. The Giant is a nice bike out of the gate, and the frame is awesome, totally worth upgrading later if/when you need to. My local Giant dealer told me that frame weighs only 3.1lbs. That’s sick.

Giant makes unbelievable bikes and a lot of people may not know they make bikes for Trek and Specialized, among other well known brands. I have a Trance X2 and can’t say enough about it. Great choice, I’m sure you’ll love it.

Giant made the frame for my Novara FS, I absolutely love it. You’ll have to post a photo of your bike once you get it, with a little dirt on it, of course.

Enjoy!

Being a begginer myself – I recently purchased a Marin Madrone 2010 HT.

Had a few problems with it already.

Im starting to think I should of investigated a bit more or got some advcice before buying it… Whats your guys opinion?

Are Marin bikes typically this unreliable or have I just been unlucky?
      I paid (GBP) £600 for it brand new.

Cool – browsing through the forums, and seeing/reading what bikes other people are using or reccomending – I haven’t heard Marin crop up, and was beggining to think I made a mistake in my purchase.

I have had some problems with it already;

1. There was vertical movement in the headset after about 6 days of riding. Apparently the bearings were put in the headset upside down when it was assemebled and the bearing cartridge damaged? Had to be replaced.
      (Being a newb to MTB the guy could of been bullsh*tting me – but this is what he said)

2. The front suspension seems to have ceased up… 😮 Was ok before with a nice bit of travel, now – even when deliberatley putting weight on the front end it doesnt move much. (Already discussing this issue elsewhere)

I’ve been for a few good rides already, but it’s kinda disheartening when it develops problems like this after only a couple of months use 😢

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.