Which Cross Country Bikes to consider?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I am getting back into cycling after quite a few years and am feeling lost relative to bike technology. I was in the triathlon industry, raced tri’s and road… I am hoping to do some mountain bike racing next summer, mostly for fun and fitness, but I’d like to be competitive. I would also like to try some endurance riding (maybe a couple 8 hour events). I will ride trails daily, not into downhill racing. I am 5’11", 165 pounds. I currently have an older Specialized M4 hard tail. I’d like to go full suspension. I am not sure where the line is drawn relative to weight VS comfort these days. Is an aluminum Specialized Stumpjumper gong to be a major drag, or should I be looking at an Epic. Other bikes will certainly be considered, but this example is easy.
      Thanks for any input!

Have you looked at any hand built brands? http://www.xprezo.ca now available in the states. Check out the WUUU. LEt me know if you wantmore information.

I am all Cross Country. Like you I am not into downhill at all. I have been riding 7 years and I currently have a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert and next year business permitting and going to get a Santa Cruz Superlight R xc with the Float 120 Fork which the Santa Cruz webiste lists as $2573. I have never had a FS bike as I have been happy with hardtails but based on the reviews and the stiff rear shock and single pivot design I think I will be satisfied. It supposedly climbs very well which is my streanght as I am not a downhill rider by any streatch of the imagination. I have heard that the rear shock handles well on climbs yet also handles well over trail terrain so as long as you don’t expect it to absorb more than it is designed for. I am also into endurance riding and plan to do the 12 hours at Tsali 2012 with a friend of mine as a team. Take a look at this bike as it is everything I believe I need for my type of riding.

I ride FS Stumpjumper 29er Comp and even race it once in 25-mile event for fun. It’s a trail bike with 130 mm suspension which you basically don’t need for XC racing. I choose Stumpy over Epic because it gives you more upright position and you can handle all-day rides easier. Plus It handles rocky downhills way better then Epic will.
      From what you said Epic sounds like a right choice. Again they’re available in different set-up and price/weight will vary. Gary Fisher Superfly 100 will fit your needs too. Or Scalpel from Cannondale (their Lefty fork people say way lighter than anything else). Also Giant might have some FS racing bikes too. Santa Cruz have nice reputation. Trek Fuel has interesting rear links design. And Trek’s customer service always have only positive feedback. This list can go on, but it really depends on what brand is your favorite and/or which bike suits you better.
      Keep us updated on what you get and have fun on the trails 😀

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.