Where to ride in Colorado in the fall

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I’m visiting Colorado in the fall, and am wondering what riding conditions will be like then. I’ll be based in Boulder but can drive as far as say Fruita. What trails are good to ride in the fall? Any advice would be appreciated.

Actually fall is the best time to visit CO.  Most of the high country is still open and the desert is cooling off, so that means pretty much everything is open to you–which of course doesn’t help you narrow down things much!

How long are you going to be here and how much riding do you expect to get in?  Also are we talking early fall or late fall?  That can make a big difference.  The high altitude rides are generally clear in September, but by October, they get pretty iffy.

Very close to Boulder, the faves are Hall Ranch and Heil Valley.  Betasso Preserve is also a nice ride.

A little further into the mountains, if you want  a true Colorado mountain experience without having to go too far, head for the Sourdough/South St Vrain/Buchanan Pass area.

Dropping down through Denver before heading southwest, you can hit the highly ranked Buffalo Creek trail system, which is usually prime in fall.

By all means, if you have the time to make it to Fruita, that is a must.  There’s also tons of riding all along the I-70 corridor between Denver and Fruita, including great rides in Eagle and if you’re here during the part of fall when the aspens turn, Vail can be wonderful.

Eagle Has Landed–As a Mountain Bike Destination, that Is

“UnVailing” the Aspens in Colorado’s High Country, Part 1: Vail Mountain and its Extensions

“UnVailing” the Aspens in Colorado’s High Country, Part 2: An Epic Ride in Vail’s Backcountry

The last week of September and the first week of October is usually peak period for the fall colors in much of the high country.  So don’t miss out on that period.  Killer beautiful.

Also if you are not from high elevation already, you give some consideration to elevation and acclimation.  It can be tough on some.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.