Where to go in Colorado?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

I’m about 98% sure that i will be flying out this summer to Colorado to ride some trails out there, I’ve looked into many towns and cities that are close to some good trails listed here, but my question is, where exactly should I stay to make the absolute most out of this trip? I’m hoping it’s going to be at least 2 weeks, but nothing is set yet, soooo approximately where should I be located? Thanks to all that through their put in.

Can you be more specific about when in the summer you will be here and where exactly you will be stopping thru? The high mountain trails often aren’t rideable till July. Fruita and Grand Junction are great, but unbearably hot during the summer months and a long way from Denver.

You may want to search for older topics on this — I’m pretty sure it has been brought up before. My faves:

1) Fruita/Grand Junction area
      2) Crested Butte area
      3) Breckenridge area
      4) Durango area
      4) Buffalo Creek
      5) Salida/Buena Vista area

cjm

Also, what type of trails you want to ride? The trails are radially different from one area to another. Surly technical riding is in different places than strenuous climbs with fantastic views.

To be more specific on my question, I plan to go in late June, and the type of trails don’t really matter, I just want the best experience out of this trip to Colorado, that’s all I’m really looking for, so whatever your opinions may be, i’m up for them.

cjm

I would have to include Moab in a trip to Colorado. That time of year it should be sweltering hot. So, you’ll only be able to ride half a day. I would plan about 4 days in Moab. Must rides in Moab include, The World Famous Slick Rock trail, Porcupine Rim, and Bartlett Wash.

Then I would work my way back to Fruita/Grand Junction. Again lot’s heat, so only early AM rides. The big must ride there Ribbon Trail to the Lunch Time Loop in Grand Junction. Also, the Loma area is outstanding.

After that, I would hit the ski resorts around Silverthorne. Keystone and Sol Vista have solid Downhill while Winter Park has some awesome "High Octane" single track. Those three can be ridden lift access. Breckenridge, is supposed to have some fantastic single track. I would plan a day for Breck, a day at Keystone and a day split between Sol Vista and Winter Park. That’s 11 days, you may want to plan some rest and travel somewhere.

My personal trip might ditch the Silverthorne area and head for Durango for a few days. Just because I haven’t ridden there and have heard awesome things.

I would agree with cjm on many points only to add Amasa Back to your Moab trip and the 18 road area in Fruita is pretty nice.

You’re options are not as great being June as your timeframe. Most high mountain places like Crested Butte or the Monarch Crest Trail will still be snowed in.

I personally think that is the perfect time to explore the Durango region or even cruise the front range like Co. Springs, Boulder, and Fort Collins.

In late June, I would avoid Fruita, Moab and the 4-corners area. If we have another hot summer (likely), those low-elevation areas are going to be brutal.

Buffalo Creek would be my first suggestion. That area probably has the highest concentration of excellent trails in the state, with the possible exception of Fruita. It’s also near Evergreen, which has a lot of amazing dirt too.

Salida would be my second pick. There may not be as many great trails as Buffalo Creek, but it’s is a really fun town and gives you the option of hitting one of the nearby hot-springs after your ride.

Unless you’re really into crazy ammounts of climbing (not always a bad thing) or enjoy e-ticket downhill fun (Keystone/Breck/Vail), the Fruita/GJ area has anything a serious or recreational MTB’r could want. One note is to go in early spring or fall for best riding temps.

Colorado Springs (my hometown) has a lot of great trails, but if you are making a special trip, then I suggest submerging yourself in the best MTB’ing experience possible and for that you need to go to the MTB mecca, Durango. The Hermosa Creek Trail, north of Durango would be my first ride. The best place to start is at the northern end behind the ski area and finish up above the village of Hermosa. (The LBS’es have shuttle services available for a reasonable fee). From Hermosa, you are just a few miles from Trimble Hot Springs. You could literally spend your entire time in Durango and never ride the same trails twice. From Durango, Moab is not that far but the heat will be pretty intense. The best time for Moab is in the fall. If you are not going to be in that area, then I recommend Buffalo Creek and the areas mentioned above by arnolda14.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Crested Butte….

So, be sure to check out Crested Butte too.

Also, give us some exact dates and locations and you may just get some riding buddies, if you want them…😃

One note about the really high elevation areas like Salida (Monarch Pass Trail) is that it’s still snowing there, as of the weather report about an hour ago.

I suggest either Fruita or Crested Butte. Both of those destinations will give you endless amounts of trails for your time here. Also if you go to Fruita its only like an hour and half to Moab so that opens a whole other door. To be honest though once you get to Fruita you won’t want to leave. It is awesome! 😮

I frequently ride in Loma and Fruita as well as Grand Junction and I would have to say my favorite spot is Loma. Moab is badass as well but has little actual singletrack.

Tim

Oh sweet, thanks again guys for the info, I’ll be arriving on [color=red:38orwff9]June 28th[/color:38orwff9] which is a Sunday, I’m flying in through Denver… yikes!!

Anyways the trip is only going to be a week and a half (wish it was much longer, but that’s not up to me!) And I’ll be posting again once I’m ready to ride out.

Depending on who’s/what’s available, I’ll psyched to ride with some peeps when I get there. Again I’ll let everybody know my plans. Anyways, I’m still counting the milliseconds until then.

To update my previous suggestions, I would have to include the Pine Valley in the areas not to miss when in CO. I did a configuration of the Buffalo Creek trail that stretched out to 24+ miles and there still has to be 25+ more miles of trail to ride. The camping and facilities are top notch as are the trails. If you’re heading throught the Vail Valley let me know and I can show you some of the high alpine riding of Eagle County!!!!!!

So how was it? Where did you go? Where are the pics? C’mon dude pony up the info!

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.