When to do your first Mountain bike race?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

I’m really itching to get into the whole "leadville" "durango" thing, but have only been biking for about a month in the Denver area. I’ve done 22 trails to date (Bergen Peak is my favorite). How do you know when you’re in shape for such things?

BFD

When I was in my early teens I was cycling (road) between 75-150 miles per week and found out about a local crit-race that was happening on a weekly basis. It just seemed like the next step for me so I jumped in with both feet, so to speak, and a few years later I was on the farm team for Team 7-11 on my way to a pro-cycling life…only to be taken out of contention by an El Camino while on a training ride…oh well, it got me into mountain biking, my true passion.
      In other words, I don’t think anybody can really tell YOU, when you’ll be ready. You’ll just know you want it. So do it!

hey mark, 22 trails in a month is quite impressive! i would say if you have enough strength & endurance to do that, you could really enjoy a beginner mtb race!

i havent done any bike races in a while but have been doing a lot of running races. when i did my first marathon i started with an easy goal of finishing. then with successive marathons i got more competitive and set goals of increasingly faster times. my point is, just go for the beginner race and see how it goes and don’t expect to win 1st place your first time. then if you want to stick with it, set goals that are a little harder each time. and don’t forget to have fun!

Thanks for all the input, and let me tell you I can feel all twenty-two rides….and it feels great! More than being in shape, its been sheer pride and stubborness. I think I’m going to try for the classic in Breckenridge this weekend just for kicks and to learn something. We’ll see.

mark, how did the race go?!?!

Thanks for asking. I was forced in the end to stick to my original plan and race next season. My wife and I had some personal business to attend to Sat. I did get a good ride in that morning @ Buck Gulch. Next season!
      😃

I set a goal for myself. There is a really big local race here where I’m at once a year. I wanted to participate in it, but I felt that I did have the confidence, nor the endurance for it. So I said, "this time next year I am going to be determined to be in that race". That time came this past April. I entered and I actually did exceptionally well in my class. Fell to 10th out of 45. I was content. I guess what I am trying to get at is that it’s all about when you feel ready for it. It sounds that you already have the confidence part. You also, have to commit to it as well though. Only you can answer the fitness part.

"markgowan" wrote

How do you know when you’re in shape for such things?

If you own a mountain bike, you can do a mountain bike race–that’s what they have (or had) the beginner category for. Don’t worry, unlike other sports, mountain biking restricts anyone from entering a beginner race after their first year of riding. (At least, it used to work that way.)

I guess the category is now called Cat 3, which is sorta stupid, but it’ll still guarantee that you’re racing people of similar abilities.

I entered my first mountain bike race after two years of amateur road cycling. Everyone told me not to race beginner, but I did anyway, and I won the category. As it turns out, I would’ve come second in Sport and probably Expert as well, so I should’ve just raced with the fast guys. As it was, I was 10 minutes ahead of the next guy in my category. I was sandbagging, but I figured, hey, when are you going to have another "first" mountain bike race?

Regardless, it was fun experience, and I’d recommend it to anyone. Racing allows you to see new trails and associate with people who share your passion. It’s a blast regardless of whether you win or lose.

Good luck!

Mark – if I would agree with other posters that if you’ve got 22 trails completed, you’ve obviously got it in your system and the enthusiasm to ride and strengthen your legs.

Many "beginner" races or Cat 3, will actually be shorter than many of your weekend rides. Obviously, the difference is in the adrenaline that pumps through your body before and during the race and riding at a faster pace than you ever will just riding. Even if you go out to ride fast with your buddies on a weekend ride, you can’t match the level at which you will push it during a race because when you are waiting for your group to start, your nerves are really building up, especially for your first few races, and when the gun goes off, that adrenaline will make you faster as will the competition and other pack riders.

This is redundant to other posts, but race one set your goals to just finish but with the promise to yourself that you are going to push your limits and not conserve too much energy that when you do finish, you’ve got something left in the tank. I almost threw up after my first race (summer and hot) and didn’t think I was going to make the 2nd lap of a 2 lap race. But I did finish, 10 out of 12. I had been riding about a year.

It was a great post race feeling to have tested myself, participated in the event, competing against riders who had been riding much longer than myself. It was a very satisfying feeling, much like I think how it must feel for someone participating in their first marathon.

Don’t let the beginner or cat 3 category mislead you. There will be many riders in these groups that have raced for 10 years and are fast and experienced, but won’t move up to sport or cat 2. So even in beginner, there aren’t really many true beginners. I’ve raced beginner for 2 years now. 4th place has been my best finish. I don’t consider myself a beginner anymore, most of the races around here the beginner category sees strong riders and sport is a pretty big step up in distance and speed.

I’ve set a goal to ride a 72 mile Enduro race they have here in Wyoming every July but i don’t think i’ll be ready for quite a few years. There’s only one way to truly know if you’re ready sign up, slap that number plate on and line up!

I think that if you can ride off road comfortably for an hour and are comfortable in clipless pedals, you are ready for a basic beginner class, cross country race. Racing will make you a better rider.
      I put it off for years and wish I had not. I raced 1 year in beginner and will be entering my 3rd year in sport (now cat 2). I am 44 years old.

😮 WOW, a beginner is now a USCF Cat 3 racer, LOL, my first race was back in 1984, NORBA was just starting to hold MTB races in the State of Colorado. I raced in NORBA Novice, we had only 3 ratings:

Novice
      Expert
      Pro

Back then, MTB’s were just that, MTB’s none of the specialized classes they have today. I raced a (at the time) top o’ the line Raleigh Mt. Crested Butte, (Renolyds 531 double butted steel frame), with the "new high tech, U-Fork and cantalever brakes", what you all now call a "Ridged". They set a over all course, the Novice class did one lap, the Expert class 2 laps, the Pro class 3 or 4 laps.
      Well I mostly sucked wind on the uphill’s but my racing buddy and I had a ongoing bet, "Who ever touched the brakes on the downhill first, had to buy dinner" 😉

Even though we "bounced" down the mountain sides, I can only remember destroying a rim twice, in 2 seasons. We figured if you needed "supension", you should be racing "Motorcycles", not bicycles 😛 So now I’m looking at a new MTB with front suspension and WOW, disc brakes, my how things have changed. Guess I’m goin have to look up the local Sand Creek MTB racing series and see what it takes to try a "Cat 3" race 😼

I’m back! I’ve decided to do as many Colorado races this season as possible, starting with the Leadville winter race on March 28! Thanks for all the comments. I’m looking forward to it!

After 17 years of riding, my first bike race will be on May 16th. The Sumter Metric Century. I figured 62 miles will be a good start. 😆

Brian, good luck on your 1st race. I’m doing my first on march 28. I’ve made a list of all the regional rides in my area (Denver), and plan on riding as many as possible. Maybe some of you guys here will be racing as well? 😛

How was the leadville race?

Did Battle of the Bear, Sports level, and got my #$*& handed to me (30th out of 35). It was a lot of fun, though, and I plan on doing more. I only wish I had raced when I was in better form

"markgowan" wrote

Did Battle of the Bear, Sports level, and got my #$*& handed to me (30th out of 35). It was a lot of fun, though, and I plan on doing more. I only wish I had raced when I was in better form

Mark, welcome to the next level. The real wake-up call for most is when they track their heart rate along with a GPS. I’ve raced Tri long Distance for years, was a track pursuit rider in college, surfed competitively since young, Swim Trans Tahoe each year…and last year delved into MTB XC racing and had a shocking experience. Rarely would I top out beyond 175 BPM and would avg 150-156 for a 5.5hr Half Iron.
      All of your riding with buddies or hammering the road bike is good…but MTB race day is a totally different animal that is hard to describe to those that haven’t indulged yet. My first race, I went from 3rd to 8th in one impressive wreck, trashed my Rear D..2miles from the finish…and nursed it home. Plugged in my Garmin 305 forerunner to upload to motionbased…and my avg Heart Rate for the 1.5 hrs was 194BPM!!! Now I know why I started seeing stars when I was sprinting for the peak of those climbs!! Races are some of the best training you can get…after some proper rest, you’ll have some acknowledged gains in power and speed..you’ll have a better gauge on how and when to push or conserve and you’ll never do a recreational ride the same again.
      You’ll learn how to train and race smarter not harder….keep it up…Cat 3 is a good place to play for a while….and be forewarned, there are plenty of sandbaggers in Sport class. My helmet goes off to you…now get out there and train for the next one!! Cheers

My first race (Sumter Metric Century) was a sucess in my eyes, I finished the race, took about 30 minutes longer than my time goal, but most of all I had a great time. Will be looking for another race in the future.

Also saw trek7k, mudhuney and seenvic there. Would love to see those pics!

i agree with ChiliPepper its my 2nd year for riding and i ride with people who have been riding for 10,15 or 20 year i think its the best why to get it shape they have a 5 mph pace more than me i keep up with them most of the way but i start to get of of energy at the 13 mile mark

"markgowan" wrote

I applaud you you were not last and you finished the race Great Job

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I did four races total for the season, including two winterpark races. So, in hindsight…what would did I learn? 1) Don’t push too hard too early, 2) don’t worry about the "other guy", 3) there is a right way and a wrong way to train (training with a heart-rate monitor in the right zone helps), 4) don’t eat too much before the race, but eat the right thing, 5) know yourself and keep track of how long there is left in the race, 6) bring minimal equipment, but bring the right stuff!, 7) eat and drink enough during the race, 😎 have fun, 9) it’s worth it!

I’m planning on racing more next season, but am not planning on signing up for a series. I have few in mind. Hope to see you out there! I’m the guying huffing it up hills on the Mamasita 😀

thnx
      m

Viewing 21 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.