Wheelset

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I am looking to upgrade my wheelset from the entry level Mavic XM117’s. My bike leans more toward XC than all mountain, but I would like something durable that can handle some heavy trail riding, but not crazy weight for XC riding. I would also like them to have the ability to accomodate tubeless. I am looking in the $500.00 range. I am considering Mavic Crosstrail Disc or Easton AM Havoc’s, but would welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Well both are great however very different. The eastons are a heavier and more burly setup which work great. The Crosstrail are more XC specific and cannot take as much abuse. They too are great. If your into light weight go with Crosstrail. If your into long life tough wheel go with the Easton.

The Easton AM Havocs are BOMB PROOF!!
      Not much of a weight penalty and the front hub can be swapped w/o tools for a 20mm Thru Axle. I race XC on these and then go and abuse them in AM duties..not a "ping" from a spoke. I have the hubs serviced every 6 months as a pure preventative maint. The riders at our local LBS team..are all riding these hoops.
      You can’t go wrong with Havocs.

"element22" wrote

Well both are great however very different. The eastons are a heavier and more burly setup which work great. The Crosstrail are more XC specific and cannot take as much abuse. They too are great. If your into light weight go with Crosstrail. If your into long life tough wheel go with the Easton.

When you say "lite weight" for XC, is that impliying XC racing?? I’m a lite-clydesdale rider and I do XC but the bike does get banged into rock edges, root’s etc. so would I be better off with a AM wheelset over the XC since I’m not going to be "racing", thanks for the clue! 😀

Thanks everyone for the comments. I think I am leaning towards the Easton’s. I;ll let everyone know

I just got Bontrager Pro Rhythms they are light and durable…But they do run about $900 😢 and as you probably figured they can run both tubed or tubeless…I believe there is also a review on them on the site

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.