What’s your opinion on cheap name brand frames ?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

There’s a "Mosso" frame on ebay that weighs 1380g, for a little over $200… what’s your opinion on frames like these? I mean, a trek frame with this kind of weight would be thousands.. is it the build quality ? slave labor ? US exchange rate ?

You get what you pay for ?

here’s a link http://cgi.ebay.com/MOSSO-SPRINT-7046-T … 7C294%3A50

The only thing that woud freak me out about this purchase is that the seller is in China. I’m not knocking companies that make things there, I would just be leery of purchasing from a 3rd party there. Since China is King of "knockoffs" I would want some paperwork from the manufacturer with regards to authenticity.

I woulbe wary any purchase that seems "too good to be true." Whther or not the frame is decent I don’t have the knowledge to say, but I do agree that you need to be on the lookout for knock-off’s and scams in general. I also feel that you do in fact typically get what you pay for (which in terms of well known brands includes quality, service, and warranty). But other than that I’ve got nothing…

cjm

At $200 bucks this is not a screamin’ deal for a hardtail frame. The Sette Reken Hardtail is selling for only $90 at price point. Most hardtail frames sell for a round $400. I even saw a few carbon fiber hardtail frames for less than $1000.

Further, I would be weary of the 7046 series aluminum. 7005 and 6061 are the most common aluminum in the bike scene. The only thing I saw made with 7046 was softball bats. Industry standards don’t mean there isn’t something better out there. It just means if you go away from them, you’d better know what you are doing.

I am big fan of small and new bike companies. A few years ago people wouldn’t buy Transitions ’cause they were supposed to be knock-offs or catalog bikes. Those of us who got in early got the best bikes on the trail for screamin’ prices. There’s a screamin’ deal to found out there, I just don’t think this is the one.

"Mongoose" wrote

I cannot find any Mosso manufacture online, but maybe I did not look hard enough, but I did find this in regards to their DH bikes:

http://www.chinamtb.com/files/e988c72d4 … f-130.html

This is the website that is on this frame. Doesn’t look like bikes to me.

I found the website http://www.mosso-bike.net. I was also wondering about these frames. I cant afford a $2000 bike right now and was thinking about buying one of the frames and building one?

There was a English button to click and it showed everything they carry and in english but no $$$$$$$$$’s

cjm

I don’t see an english button either. Here’s an e-bay store for mosso bikes. The designs look really out dated to me. I wouldn’t trust the damper on any of the squishy frames either. Shipping as low-cost gifts seems a bit shady, too.
      http://stores.ebay.com/HONG-KONG-BIKE-D … m14?_pgn=1

Brodie always has quality deals on antiquated frames from a much more reputable company.
      http://www.brodiebikes.com/2010/online_ … arance.php

Jeepinjay, do you have all the components all ready?

i was looking at their site and i think thier symbol looks almost just like Marzzochi’s is it just me or does anybody else think the same thing, i dont know what bike you were looking at but i think that their downhill bike kinda looks like a Azonic Avenger frame and their other full suspension frames look like alot of other out dated bikes.

i also looked at the website for prices and from what i can see in order to get prices you need to call them or send them an email.

oh and heres something i pulled from thier site that gives a brief description of the company;

"Founded in 1986 in central Taiwan, Woeifong Machinery Co., Ltd. has been over the last 20 years designing and producing bicycle frames for well-known brands around the globe. Its MOSSO brand, launched in 1996, has been well-received by cyclists in Asia. In order to offer better service to its customers, Woeifong Machinery Co. set up a subsidiary in mainland China in 2000. Since its equipment for making bicycle frames are most advanced, its quality has been globally recognized by its customers,. Every production processes go through strict quality control.

Our professional manufacturing experience has gained worldwide recognition. We are able to produce any frames with any materials designated by our customers. Top quality is assured.

We are looking forward to cooperating with our customers and you are welcome to visit our factory"

You know i am with you on this one. I will keep checking on eBay for a used well known brand and continue to rent and demo bikes from the local mountain shop or bike dealers in town. Thanks for all the info and input!

You can pretty much always buy a complete for less than building up a custom, unless you buy a bunch of used (possibly trashed) parts. I’d head to a local shop and see what deals they have. Now that 2010 bikes are coming in, the remaining ’09s can usually be had for a lot less – and usually, they’re nearly identical to the 2010 model!

I was gonna buy one of their rentals but they still wanted $1200 for them and the wife lost her job so that was out of the question till things get better so i was looking for a cheaper way into it. I started getting into it back in June of last year and rode about every other weekend about 20-30 miles a day of the slopes her in Steamboat on the mountain. I met a few guys that were trying to put together more trails up there this year and was gonna donate my time helping this year.

Hi folks

I took a look at those "DH" frames.. Unfortunately I don’t see anything DH there…Just poor construction and quality. The rear lower pivot is steel with a bushing…Not great. Also I have seen similar frames at my local Canadian tire for $400.00 complete bikes…BTW for fun we ran one of these DH bikes down Blue Mountain…Didn’t make it down…ONCE.

Ya i guess you get what you pay for! I am gonna keep that in mind when i am able to buy one. I just want the most for my money! I am a bit hard on them so it will have to hold up to abuse!

It is within its adjective, cheap,, a lot of negative impressions for me, and since this is of mobility, like bike, it can risk my life if I rely on cheap brand names. Bicycling is something that it can put your life in danger, much more when you use unknown and cheap brands. I personally choose one from quality resources, trusted brands, reliable products and that is where I put my life with.

Regards,
      Jeff of http://eatmywords.com/

I have a friend who bought a no name, carbon hardtail frame off eBay a few years ago and he rode that bike for years with no issues. But like a lot of people have already said, you never know if you’re going to have my friend’s experience, or you’re going to get a frame made from recycled garbage bags.

as @dgaddis said, its cheaper to buy a used bike, even a whole new bike. I custom built my bike once, never again. And I wont trust a cheapo frame, coz once it fails, that’s your whole ride.

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.