What’s up?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Well I joined last week, and have been a lurker since then. I haven’t been on a bike since I was about 15 which was a few (call it 15) years ago. I didn’t want to post until I had a bike. So I bought an 08 Specialized Hardrock Sport tonight and am stoked. I knew that if I really get into it I’ll want to build a bike or upgrade to a better one. So I’m using the Hardrock as my learner bike. I’m still kicking myself because I went to school near some of the best trails and wasn’t into MTBing at the time. I was to busy chasing girls and skiing to go riding. Funny how things/hobbies change over the years. I’m looking forward to riding some trails around home and eventually building the skills to ride those trails I missed back in NC.

I forgot to add that my favorite thread so far is the one about everyone’s crashes. I’m sure as a newb I’ll be adding to that soon.

See you out there.

Thanks Mongoose, I do have some newb questions. They are all about equipment though:

#1 what type of helmet do I need?

#2 are you supposed to wear underwear with bike shorts or just freeball?

#3 are their pants you can get for riding in the cold? My buddy who rides wants to go this weekend but it has been pretty cold here. I realize once you get started you warm up, but I was curious if there are pants you could get? I have a nice LBS, a cheap LBS, and a Dick’s Sporting goods if that helps.

[quote="pookie"]Welcome to the sport Pookie. I also have a Hardrock Sport that I have been riding some lately while my other bike is in the shop. Perfectly good bike for not too much money. Got it from OutdoorNut who also posts on here sometime.

#1 One that fits good, I got mine at Dicks in the bicycle section for $30 or so. I may upgrade at some point. You should not need a full face helmet unless you do freeriding, jumping, etc.

#2 I do

#3 I have a thin pair of long pants and a thick pair. Probably got those at Dicks too. I think mine are running pants (no fleece, you’ll sweat too much). Legwarmers are pretty popular for cold weather riding, but I haven’t bought any yet. I wear padded shorts under my long pants too.

Along with Dicks and your LBS’s, Jenson, PricePoint, and Performance Bicycle are good mail order suppliers. In less than a week you usually have what you ordered delivered to your door or mail box.

Hey CCR! Hows it going up there in the great state of Virginia? Probably should not ask, "COLD"

It has been in the 40’s during days and in the very low 30’s at night for the last couple days. It might make the high 20’s tonight. This is very unusual for weather on the Space Coast during the winter. Anyway, hope all is well with you and all yours CCR. Have a great day and good riding brother!

Welcome back to the mt bike scene.

#1. I have bouht helemets from both local bike shops (LBS) and chain sport stores. The key is to have proper fit and that it meets CPSC standards. Will have a sticker inside the helemt if it does.

#2 I just wear my bike shorts. They look baggy but have an inner spandex linner with the padded crotch.

#3 When it is colder I wear a pair of moisture wicking long underwear under my bike shorts. May look a little weird but I do not care. I am warm and biking. I only do this when its below 40. Above its just shorts.

http://www.bhsi.org/quick.htm
      Here is a link on bike helmets that might be useful.

Thanks guys. I went to Dick’s this afternoon. I ended up with a Bell helmet, a pair of the spandex bike shorts, and a tire pump for the frame. They had riding pants too, but when I tried them on they didn’t fit right.

I then raced home and went riding in while it was still light out. I’m going to start a new post about that little adventure….

1. Looks like you have that covered already.

2. If you are wearing padded cycling shorts then no undies. With spandex bike shorts (no pad), you may perfer undies. Try both see what you like.

3. I really like to wear my normal shorts and a pair of these:

[url:1n1oj8pi]https://trail-running.sierratradingpost.com/p/181,1314M_Wickers-Leg-Warmers-Wool-Lycra-For-Men-and-Women.html[/url:1n1oj8pi]

I have both the leg (full length) and knee length from wickers. Wool blends are great over a wide range of temps that the synthetics just can’t handle. I wear the knees from ~65 to ~40 (I have a bum knee that kills me if it gets cold) and the full leg from ~40 to ~20. Below 20 I switch to thick windfront tights because my back end starts to get cold.

About upgrading to a better bike – whatever you decide, keep your current one after you get the new one. Your first ‘real bike’ as an adult is always special – I still regret getting rid of mine.

Welcome and keep pedaling.

#1 – Done

#2 – Personally just let ’em hang! I used to wear tighty whities under and found it is WAY more comfortable without. Fot MTB, the baggies with spandex are the way to go.

#3 – You can get a cheap pair of long tights and cover with a good wind pant. That keeps me warm and toasty in all conditions.

Have fun tearing up the NC trails on your new Specialized!

"Mongoose" wrote

Whats up CCR? Probally should not ask………… "COLD" 😮

Hope all is well with you and all yours up there in the great state of Virginia!

Yea – Looks like Pookie is off and rolling. Hard to beat the enthusiasm you get when you first start riding. 😀

Mongoose – it has been cold. Haven’t ridden for a week and a half due to work travel and cold. Supposed to be 59 here this afternoon, so I plan on a night ride tonight. Back in the 40’s tomorrow, but I can live with that. Hope to ride Douthat tomorrow. Its all good.

Was watching a video on an MTBR post at Santos. Awesome stuff. I’m a little too old to take that on now, but love watching it. Do you have any pics of some of your jumps? Post em if you do.

"Mongoose" wrote

[quote="CraigCreekRider":1ddzvqm6]Mongoose – it has been cold. Haven’t ridden for a week and a half due to work travel and cold. Supposed to be 59 here this afternoon, so I plan on a night ride tonight. Back in the 40’s tomorrow, but I can live with that. Hope to ride Douthat tomorrow. Its all good.

Was watching a video on an MTBR post at Santos. Awesome stuff. I’m a little too old to take that on now, but love watching it. Do you have any pics of some of your jumps? Post em if you do.

Yeah, its been running between 48 to 56 degrees here on the Space Coast for the last couple of days without the windchill. Beats the mid to high 90’s! 😮

I do have some photos that I would download from our local freeride trails, but I have been having issues lately with my photo program. I have some great shots of some 7′ drops and big jumps from our local trail, but can’t get them downloaded correctly. My 10 year old son is starting to catch more air than me at times, but of course he is so much younger than me. At 40, I am getting a little slower and loosing my classy touch. Oh well, my kid at heart is slowing down but not stopped! 😆

Have a good ride tomorrow brother, I am sure going to try![/quote:1ddzvqm6]

Mongoose- had a great night ride yesterday in 50 degree weather. Awesome for us this time of year. Hit Douthat and the George Washington National Forest today for another one today. Temps in upper 30’s so I was cold by the end. Lots of new trailwork over that way I’m pretty excited about.

You could send me a few photos at my e-mail address (PM me for that) and I could try uploading them to my Photobucket site if you like. Like to see those 7 foot drops and your son in action too.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.