What’s the verdict on 27.5?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

As I am aware this season was one of the first with the introduction of the 27.5- I ended up not getting a bike this year, but I’m still debating between the Airborne Guardian 29er and the Giant Talon 27.5- If you went with 27.5, what’s the verdict? Are you going to stick with it? I am 5’7" 170lbs, so I am particularly interested in the smaller size.

I’m done with 29ers. 27.5 and fat bikes for LIFE!

I’m about your size too.

I’m around your size. I just bought a yeti 575. I particularly love the 27.5 wheel. I’m hooked for good.

I’m almost exactly the same size as you and while I’ll ride any bike that performs well, 29" is still easily my favorite wheel size! Better momentum, better roll over… I just love it. I say that despite currently spending most of my time riding 27.5 bikes, since they’re the hot thing and everyone wants their new 27.5 rig or component reviewed… but every time I get back on a 29er, I fall in love with the big wheels all over again.

I really appreciate that viewpoint, Greg. I haven’t gotten a new bike since my 2010 Trek Fuel 5, so my next one will either be 27.5 or 29, and I’m still looking to see if this was a fad or not. Up in New England, the ridiing is pretty much always rooty and rocky, and most of the cats are very happy with the 29er.

We’ll see what next year brings up!

"Fitch" wrote

I really appreciate that viewpoint, Greg. I haven’t gotten a new bike since my 2010 Trek Fuel 5, so my next one will either be 27.5 or 29, and I’m still looking to see if this was a fad or not. Up in New England, the ridiing is pretty much always rooty and rocky, and most of the cats are very happy with the 29er.

We’ll see what next year brings up!

Well it is most definitely NOT a fad. 27.5 bikes are 100% here to stay. But then again, I think 29ers are 100% here to stay as well. If there’s any wheel size that would be a poor investment at this point, it’s definitely the 26er. A year ago post-Interbike I said that they were on the edge of extinction, and in one short year it seems like they’ve gotten there. Sure, you can still pick up a new 26er here or there, but they just aren’t selling and very few bike, tire, wheel, or fork companies are innovating on that platform anymore.

(To catch up on my analysis of the wheel size trends in 2013, read this article: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ev … bike-2013/ )

"Greg Heil" wrote

Sure, you can still pick up a new 26er here or there, but they just aren’t selling and very few bike, tire, wheel, or fork companies are innovating on that platform anymore.
      )

I’m still riding a 26" and won’t have the money to upgrade for a while. I will probably go 27.5 when I do, as I like a quicker steering bike and I feel the 29ers are bit slow for my type of riding and where I ride (lots of technical AM/DH type stuff along with CC).

What I have noticed is that I am having a harder time finding a new reasonably priced 26" fork. I would like to replace mine, but have noticed that the selection is either cheap junk or super expensive. The middle of the road models seem to be dropping off for 26" bikes. Another problem is I have a straight 1-1/8" steerer. It seems like most of the better forks are now only available in tapered.

To sum up my thoughts on 26", I think it will be phased out, except for lower end parts, over the next couple years. It won’t be totally phased out any time soon because of all the department store bikes in that size, but higher end parts seem to be going away.

Anyone have a couple grand I can borrow for a new bike? 😉

"gar29" wrote

[quote="Greg Heil":rqvmeu98]Sure, you can still pick up a new 26er here or there, but they just aren’t selling and very few bike, tire, wheel, or fork companies are innovating on that platform anymore.
      )

I’m still riding a 26" and won’t have the money to upgrade for a while. I will probably go 27.5 when I do, as I like a quicker steering bike and I feel the 29ers are bit slow for my type of riding and where I ride (lots of technical AM/DH type stuff along with CC).

What I have noticed is that I am having a harder time finding a new reasonably priced 26" fork. I would like to replace mine, but have noticed that the selection is either cheap junk or super expensive. The middle of the road models seem to be dropping off for 26" bikes. Another problem is I have a straight 1-1/8" steerer. It seems like most of the better forks are now only available in tapered.

To sum up my thoughts on 26", I think it will be phased out, except for lower end parts, over the next couple years. It won’t be totally phased out any time soon because of all the department store bikes in that size, but higher end parts seem to be going away.

Anyone have a couple grand I can borrow for a new bike? 😉[/quote:rqvmeu98]

(edit) had to add on more thought. I was recently watching the DH world championships. Most of the riders have moved to 27.5, away from 26". I’m sure that has a bit to do with my trouble finding long travel 26" parts. Racing always pushes product development, and if the racers are using 27.5, expect to see the consumer market heading in that direction.

+1 on the difficulty of finding a suspension fork for a straight steerer tube. I have a hardtail 29er and a fat bike, both with straight steerers, that I’d love to A) upgrade the suspension fork on, and B) add suspension to, but alas it seems like a lost cause.

I actually hope the 27.5 and 29 both stick. What I have seen in cross country racing is the taller riders are tending to go with 29ers, while the shorter riders are going with 27.5. The makes sense, I like the idea having choice instead of one size fits all. I would think this could be hard on small shops though, having to stock additional products for multiple wheel sizes.

"Greg Heil" wrote

+1 on the difficulty of finding a suspension fork for a straight steerer tube. I have a hardtail 29er and a fat bike, both with straight steerers, that I’d love to A) upgrade the suspension fork on, and B) add suspension to, but alas it seems like a lost cause.

The MRP Loop still comes with an available straight steerer.

"maddslacker" wrote

The MRP Loop still comes with an available straight steerer.

That’s cool! Any experience with these? They use magnesium lowers at least, which is good to see. I have heard there has been problems with their aluminum models. Looks like the price is about $800? I can’t find anyone selling them though? Not released yet?

"gar29" wrote

[quote="maddslacker":2vmtk87k]The MRP Loop still comes with an available straight steerer.

That’s cool! Any experience with these? They use magnesium lowers at least, which is good to see. I have heard there has been problems with their aluminum models. Looks like the price is about $800? I can’t find anyone selling them though? Not released yet?[/quote:2vmtk87k]

I have one (100mm Loop SL) and it is awesome. Plushest fork I have ever ridden, hands down.

Looks like you can buy direct from their website: http://www.mrpbike.com/loopsl/

For the record, these are formerly known as White Brothers, but they decided to bring everything under the MRP label this year.

Also, they are made in Grand Junction, CO, for what it’s worth.

Good luck!

I’m keeping my Fuel EX blend of an 8 & 9 for as long as I can. It’s personalized, so you guys know how that is… I am looking into getting a Fat Bike for this winter. I ride year around, don’t care how icy it is. I prefer more agile and nimble rides, so I’m looking to the 27.5’s when the Demo rolls into town soon. Hopefully, I’ll be impressed… Then, it’s all about from who and what model. Keep the feedback up, I’m interested. 😃

-GT

The shop where I do most of my business will let you rent demo bikes for a day to see how they feel. If you purchase through them, the rental fee is applied to the purchase. Perhaps you could look into that and ride one or two of each and see which you like better.

"IntelligentDesigner" wrote

The shop where I do most of my business will let you rent demo bikes for a day to see how they feel. If you purchase through them, the rental fee is applied to the purchase. Perhaps you could look into that and ride one or two of each and see which you like better.

Great advice. I tried that with a couple different 29ers, and learned they’re not for me. I want to try the 27.5’s next in this manner! There is nothing like getting the bike out on the trails you actually ride, as opposed to the parking lot or a demo at some random trail (still better than the parking lot!).

"camc" wrote

As I am aware this season was one of the first with the introduction of the 27.5- I ended up not getting a bike this year, but I’m still debating between the Airborne Guardian 29er and the Giant Talon 27.5- If you went with 27.5, what’s the verdict? Are you going to stick with it? I am 5’7" 170lbs, so I am particularly interested in the smaller size.

Are you able to test ride both? If you can, go with whichever one feels the best.

Neither wheel size is going anywhere soon. Just look at all the bikes that rolled out this year, almost all were 27.5 or 29 if they were non-DJ bikes. Both Specialized (a late comer to the 650b scene) and Giant are almost 100% 27.5 or 29er now.

My personal opinion is fit is more important than wheel size. If a 650b fits while a 29er does not, go 650b. If the 29er fits and the 650b does not, go 29er. If they both fit and it was for your main/only trail bike, I’d go 29er if both were comparable in price/spec.

I was a hard core 29er evangelist. Loved those big wheels. But then late last season I built up a old hardtail 26" with a set of 27.5 and started loving ot ride that bike tons, more then my squishy 29er. A lil over a month ago I jumped full into the 27.5 and I’m not looking back. Sold my 29er squishy, and with cash in hand went right to my local shop and picked up a giant trance 27.5. Honestly the best decision I could make. I absolutely love that bike. I know part because it’s an amazing bike. But the 27.5 is honestly a great wheel size choice. It’s not just marketing hype that grew it’s popularity, it’s trail proven fun. I highly recommend it to anyone. A bit of the big wheel advantage, but still very playful.

All of the guys I ride with use the 29" wheels. But most of them race endurance X-country so it makes sense. The larger wheels are faster over most terrain if you ride for performance. If, however, you like to launch off every bump and lump in the trail, like to rip around tight corners, and gravitate toward highly technical terrain where speed is downplayed, the 27.5" size might be for you. In many cases riding style will dictate the proper wheel size.

Also, if you are a smaller rider (many women fall in this category) the smaller wheel size may be necessary for proper bike geometry and fit.

If possible I would recommend trying both out with your own personal riding style to see which works best.

Im also about your size. I just bought the trek fuel ex 8 27.5 and I love it. I can feel that the wheels are bigger than my old 26 but I don’t mind it. still very nimble and light. easy to use. a 29er for me would feel "too big" and uncomfortable.

I have the talon 27.5 and I love it. Can not get over the difference from my earlier 26 inch tire bike. Dont think there is any chance I will ever be going back.

I appreciate everyone sharing their opinions and insight. It has contributed a lot. I took heed of the advice and rented a 29er. I throughly enjoyed my experience. Before I had a chance to give a 27.5" a spin, I came home to an anniversary gift from my wonderful girlfriend. She has witnessed me looking into various mountain bikes, renting bikes and attempting to educate myself for the past year. Airborne’s Guardian 2.0 was what I decided would pack more punch for my dollar, and I had my sights set on it for quite sometime now.

I ripped open the paper to see a big Airborne box. I was ecstatic, to say the least. Then I opened the package to find an orange and black bike instead of red and black… I’m now the proud new owner of a 2014 Airborne Seeker! Still mind boggled, myself. This will be hard to top.

Congrats . . . Enjoy!

That is awesome! Congrats! You found yourself a good girlfriend 😃

MTI

My 29’er die hard bike shop owner friend hopped on one of his 27.5 rentals and has a fully decked out top of the line 27.5 on order and is selling his 29’er. He is about 5’11 so it is all about choice. He just thinks they are more fun probably due to the fact that he can maneuver easier on the tight singletrack. Rent both sizeds out and see what you like. I still don’t care for the 29’ers on singletrack however, I can see the appeal of how easy they roll. My NORCO Threshold cross bike is essentially 29 inch wheels and even with the rigid fork that thing rolls over bumpy terrain. On the mountain bike I still have my 26" hardtail and love it. I still don’t feel enough of a difference in justifying spending money simply to get 27.5" wheels when they feel essentially the same but next purchase will be 27.5 for sure when the time comes.

I love my Talon 27.5 – had it for about a year. I’m about 5’7"-5’8" and it’s a Medium-fits me great. It was the first 27.5 I came across while test riding, and 29’rs all seemed kinda big-ish to me at the time.
      That said, I’m going with 29" for my first rigid singlespeed (better rollover, etc. in theory – we will see!).

I first started out with a modified 700c rigid frame hybrid (same wheel size as a 29er) mostly on fire access roads. I then rode several cheap box store hardtail 26er’s. My newest bike is a FS 26er.

I have test ridden 27.5ers and 29ers. I always felt that 26ers were like nimble little Miata sports cars, 27.5ers are more like a Ford Mustang V6, and 29ers are like a big block Dodge Charger muscle car (crazy fast but just plainly slow handling and cumbersome). To be fair, I would love to test ride a 29er with a trail style geometry (short chainstays and slacker HT angle) to see how it compares.

Honestly, if my 26er dies or need to be replaced, I would either get a 27.5er or a trail geometry 29er. To me 27.5 was very similar to 26, and maybe the trail geometry 29er will surprise me with how much better it is compared to what I tested years ago.

Viewing 26 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.