What’s the best thing you’ve found?

Viewing 58 reply threads
  • Author

I love tossing messages up here with all y’all crazy folk. Nice to have some people to talk about MTBing with!

My question of the week: What’s the coolest thing you’ve found on a ride? As we know, there is some peculiar stuff to be found in the woods, and I’m sure we’ve all found the weird stuff… car chasis, house foundations, old fireplaces, dead animals… so what’s the most interesting thing you’ve found?

Me, it’s at Bald Hill Reservation in Mass… there’s an old Nike missile testing site deep in the woods. It’s a man-made quarry about 60 feet deep (filled with water) where the military used to shoot missiles into it to look for explosion patterns. Pretty creepy looking, but VERY cool!

We found some old WW2 & Cold War bunkers in Germany….
      But definitely the coolest was finding nearly forgotten castle ruins & rock carvings, and ancient pubs/guest-houses.

The weirdest thing I found was on a recent ride on my local trail. Off the trail about one hundred feet was a large cage with several birds trapped in it. I approached the cage and noticed that the birds could enter, but could not get back out. There was a sign on the cage stating it was property of “U.S. Government”, “Do Not Tamper” etc…

There were about five or six birds in the cage and it looked like at least three different local species…

As I was leaving, my imagination started to get the best of me. 😏 I started looking for the “men in biohazard suits” to start coming out of the woods, the National Guard wearing chem suits and masks driving up in Humvee’s and sneaking out of the brush, a Huey gunship flying by with a gunner wearing a chem suite hanging out the door…I could almost hear them yelling, “don’t let him go anywhere, quarentine the whole area!!!”… 😮

But…None of that happened… 😉

The area I ride is not a US park, its a city run park…but the feds are looking for birds for some reason? Maybe research for the bird flu scare???

Anyway, was a little strange….When I rode by one week later, the cage was gone..

Neatest things I’ve found were some neat mines out near Death Valley, but those where on my other two wheeled ride (moto)…

THE MOUNTAIN BIKE GOD? Image

Does a girlfriend count? 😏

Lol. Actualy I was comming back from a REALY long ride and was maybe 5 miles from the cars and I almost ran this girl over (sho was walking). Things went from there and… 😀.

"lostcause" wrote

THE MOUNTAIN BIKE GOD? Image

DID YOU LEAVE AN OFFERING???? 😮

Yep. I always pay homage here! Still looking for the mountain bike goddess. Thought I saw her once must have been a illusion.

No one else has seen anything cool?!? 😆

I found a cool dirtjumoin place back at jug handle…. if I go back there with Kelsey to film I’ll post the vid.

Here’s one from yesterdays ride up Kingston Peak:[img][img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h130/kilroy_bucket/IMG_0766.jpg[/img]
      [/img]Image

Wierd lol!

I don’t think this qualifies as the best thing I’ve found on the trails, but it definitely counts as the most out-of-place.

Found, one “wand-massager”…. stuck under a root in the middle of some singletrack.

Palmer Park, CO

ooooooook! I think you mean “Sexual pleasurer””.

Oh man, that’s FUNNY!

wierdest things on rides:

A pig’s head – cut clean off.

A cult’s rock assemblage (similar to the one in the post above)

Being chased by racing lesbians with racing lesbian rainbow dogs

"jdowning" wrote

wierdest things on rides:

Being chased by racing lesbians with racing lesbian rainbow dogs

That could’ve turned out to be a very [i:7n0dy7qo]good[/i:7n0dy7qo] thing, or a very bad thing, you know…. 😼

I was not going to tell this one, but since the “sexual toy” came up I suppose the line has been crossed. My friend and I were riding on a local trail and took a fork we have never taken before. We came to a little gully and heard a lot of noise, as we rode on down this fire trail we came to three tents and a group of about five people ass naked chasing each other around. Swear to God!! Strange to say the least

Actually there were six of us.

Uh…. I mean… ummm…. What? Really? That’s crazy!

😆 😆

realy? I couldu sworn it was seven. Oh god thats bad hu?

Heard yesterday:

Lotsa giggles, heavy breathing, and an “OhmyGawdOhmyGawd!”….

Seen yesterday:

One attractive, naked, blond female complete with tramp-stamp, going balls deep on a lucky bastid just off the trail, in plain view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me, Lindsey, & one of the guys from my BattalionHQ were hauling @$$ on one of our favorite tails in Palmer Park.

We stopped at our usual pit-stop area, and I saw the gleam of bare flesh….
      She looked up at us, and I flashed her the big ‘ole double-fisted shocker, complete with my biggest s**t eatin’ grin.

Then we left them to their devices….

😼

BTT….

We’ve got a lot of new members since this topic fell to the wayside, and I betcha everyone may have found some stuff worth telling about! 😉

I was riding along a dyke during hunting season and saw an SUV backed up to the canal on the other side with the rear hatch open. For the life of me I couldnt figure out what was in there. As I passed it dawned on me I was looking at a chick and a dudes legs in a W formation. I was almost tempted to sit on the dyke and wait for them to finish and applaud the performance. After all, what were they going to do, I had the gun 😃.

But I continued on to my tree stand and that was the only wild life I saw all evening.

This isn’t weird so to speak, but it sure was funny when "funny" was needed:

I was doing a hellish climb (about 5 miles according to the book), and about half way through after puffing and cussing at the hill gods, I looked up and someone had hung a bag of energy gel with a note reading "You’ll be needing this…" on a tree

"Code_Rage" wrote

As I passed it dawned on me I was looking at a chick and a dudes legs in a W formation. I was almost tempted to sit on the dyke and wait for them to finish and applaud the performance.

Being chased by lesbian mt bikers now gitting on a dike watching a straiht couple, where is this forum going

Weirdest for me is the animal skulls along the trails at FATS in SC.

Wow, glad to see this thread resurfaced!

Rutland State Park in MA; riding through some of the trails and came across a freshly laid blue tarp. On it was a radio, a small cooler, and ALL of some guy’s clothes, including his shoes.

Quick question: WHERE THE HECK WAS THE NAKED GUY? 😮

I now carry a knife when I ride.

Maybe it was me!? I used to ride at Barry Falls Dam in Rutland. 😃

The number one thing I have seen is small cemmetaries that look like they have just been forgoten about, kind of creepy…

passed out hippy in the middle of the trail.

"zombi" wrote

passed out hippy in the middle of the trail.

The trick is to pull up your front wheel and pedal hard, getting the most air possible when hitting a jump. Lean a little back in the saddle and keep a firm grip on the handlebars.

That’s the "Dirty Hippie Hop."

Me and a friend were riding ou at Flat Rock Park about a month ago. Got to see something that I have never seen before in terms of wild animals. It was an albino squirlle. It kinda neat.

Also, not to long ago, about two weeks ago, I saw the hottest MTB babe ever. The most perfect body I have seen on a MTB.

"Fitch" wrote

[quote="zombi":15ddxjjf]passed out hippy in the middle of the trail.

The trick is to pull up your front wheel and pedal hard, getting the most air possible when hitting a jump. Lean a little back in the saddle and keep a firm grip on the handlebars.

That’s the "Dirty Hippie Hop."[/quote:15ddxjjf]Bahaha I really wanted to try it but he looked like he had enoough problems without me getting airborne off his hide.

Funny Posts. What with sex on the trail, exotic wildlife, hippies in the trail, etc. The only heavy breathing I’ve heard on the trail has been from me – I think I can ,I think I can – there is a top to this hill somewhere he he.

The coolest things I’ve seen are wildlife related. A number of bear and 1 bobcat. Like Mongoose, I thought that was strange. I was climbing Brushy Mountain at Carvins Cove and I see this tail sticking up in the distance. Went a little further and I see a bobcat that’s body was probably 2 foot high and the tail that much higher again. He sees me and pounces on up off of the road. When I get to where he was at, I think well I’ll just look up the hill in the off chance he was still there. Sure enough he was sitting on his honches and we sit and stare at each other for maybe 20 seconds or so. His face almost resembled a tiger more than most bobcats I l’ve seen mounted and his color was gray-brown. Then off he goes in the other direction. While he was looking at me was he thinking – m’m, wonder if it taste like chicken? I thought these guys were nocturnal, but this was like 4 in the afternoon. Where’s a camera when you need one.

Rattlesnakes like to stretch out over our AZ trails and sun themselves. Sometime they are hard to see or look like a branch on the trail if you are not paying close attention. I came across a guy stopped in the middle of a trail who could not proceed because he had inadvertanly run over the tail of one and to say the snake was a little upset is an understatemnet. He was coiled and rattling very loud. He eventually went his way, but never seen one in striking mode before.

I have also run across Turkey vultures and coyotes.

He was coiled and rattling very loud. He eventually went his way

Same here,only I came across my snake downhilling villiage ride at mathew’s/winter’s and did not see him until the last second when he was sprawled out across the trail blocking it and I had to bunny hop him at the last second.It was soo close I thought I landed my back tire on him so I stopped and went back to see if I hit em,when I got back up to em he was still laying there and had not moved an inch.I thought he was dead at this point,so I checked to see if he was dead by rolling my front tire just close enough to get em to move,he didnt move at first because he was really getting his zen on in the sun,hahahaha.I wasnt going to bug em anymore but I could see more riders coming down the trail a way’s back and he was in a spot where he couldnt be seen till you were right up on him so I kept pestering em to move off the trail until he did,but he was not happy about it and took a couple of swipes at my front tire.Seeing fangs while standing there just a couple of feet away is an eye opener,it seemed like he could of bit me even though I knew I was back far enough he couldnt.

[color=green:1dx7sk3u]Good morning Mongoose,
      Forgive me but I must reply. In my past life I was a Wildlife Biologist and one of my favorite subjects of study was rattlesnakes and later I volunteered at a city owned wildlife park herpetarium where we kept three adult rattlers.
      The length of rattlesnakes’ rattles are determined ONLY by the number of times they have shed their skin. Each time they shed, which depending on weather and environmental conditions can be up to 4 times per year, a new rattle button is produced. But also keep in mind that they do get buttons torn off sometimes so in the wild it is practically impossible to tell even age by the size and length of a rattle. One thing you can tell, and you have to see, or at least hear, a lot of snakes to know this, is how big the rattle is by the sound. I’ve seen them around a week old and I’ve seen them with many rattles and the older snakes with larger rattles have a much deeper, more resilient sound. Very cool to hear the difference though.
      As far as strike distance, typically, and I do not recommend testing this to closely, is half the length of the snake, and to achieve full strike distance yes they have to be coiled. They can strike from a crawling posture but it will be quite limited in distance. So for a snake to have a six foot strike distance it would have to be near 12′ long. I know easterns have grown to 8+ feet but not sure if a 12 footer has ever been recorded.
      Either way, love them, appreciate them, but whatever you do respect their space for your safety and simply because they deserve to be respected.
      I will agree with you wholeheartedly on moccasins though. They are THE MOST aggressive species I’ve encountered. I actually had a front tire flattened by one about a half mile into a ride on the SAC River Trail in Springfield, MO, the only chance I’ve had to ride that trail. And I had to leave town just a couple hours later. I’ll be back.
      I have seen a bear on a trail in east TN and many snakes while riding in the desert in eastern WA state and in British Columbia, Canada, but I guess the craziest thing I’ve seen was a mating pair of deer, in middle TN. And believe me a 6 point buck is NOT a happy camper when you interrupt him and his doe. I honestly thought I was going to be speared by antlers! The same day, about a mile and a half down the trail I saw the most aggressive moccasin I’ve ever encountered.
      I’ve seen signs of cougar in WA but never seen one on the trail. [/color:1dx7sk3u]

[color=green:g2no7il0]I tried to send an image as a private message so let me know if you didn’t get it. It is a rattler I saw while working at the Columbia National Wildlife Refuge in eastern WA. It makes a wicked picture but I am less than 16" from his fangs. BUT he is less than a foot long, I used zoom.
      I will admit lack of experience with easterns and appreciate your advice. I would no doubt have gotten too close because in my experiences with other species, i.e. the Great Basin subspecies of the western rattler (not western diamondback) timber rattlers both in British Columbia and in Tennessee, etc. I have become comfortable enough to get within half their length. What is so interesting is how much it typically takes to provoke the species I have dealt with. I know there are many species that are much more aggressive than these. I love them all. I hope to soon move to southern Utah, they have even more very diverse, and some very aggressive, species.
      Thanks for taking the posting as it was meant. And thanks again for sharing concerning easterns.
      Still, I will always stay farther from moccasins!![/color:g2no7il0][color=green:g2no7il0] Oh, and thanks for respecting and appreciating them rather than hating and killing them like SOOO many people.[/color:g2no7il0]

Hey Mongoose!!! I love those little ring necks we play with them…have many living in our garden…I have seen some huge snakes at Jonathan however, when ever I see a snake I seem to get super power and can go so much faster….hahaha I just don’t stick around to ID them!!!!! Have you ever seen hogs??? I see where there were the night before but have yet to see one while riding????

[color=green:21hmy853]I would love to see the ring snake, sounds beautiful. And I am quite impressed, not many care enough to pick one up and move it to a safer place. The picture I tried to send is the one I changed my profile pic to, so you can see one of my all time favorite photos.

I picked up my old Nishiki mountain bike from the bike shop the other day, I’ve been rebuilding it for my son. I retired it a couple years ago but it has a great frame for what it was. My son is wanting to start riding again and used to love that bike so I installed several upgrades. I have not bought the new tool for the Octalink bottom brackets (gonna have to because my Scale 50 has it also) so I got the shop to install a new bottom bracket and crankset for me. I got up early this morning to go ride because it was supposed to start raining and get cold, probable snow tonight. Went out to the deck to install the pedals and found the crank arm not threaded. I thought this odd but who knows what they’re doing these days. So I decided to see if the pedal would easily cut its own threads. Might have done it but not easily. I went inside none too happy. A while later I decided to take another look, one rain shower had passed and more coming later. I tried again to cut threads to no avail. So I spun the bike around, the left crank arm WAS threaded. Bike shop’s open now so I called them. First time in the 12 years the son of the owner has ever seen an unthreaded crankarm. And quess what, he only stocks one so Wednesday is the best I can hope for. My son is coming from TX for Thanksgiving and will take the bike back with him. And here I’m robbed of a weekend in the rain and snow to try out the old girl. C’est la vie![/color:21hmy853]

While we are talking wildlife, thought I would share a bear story. (All this snake stuff is giving me the hebejebees, hehe).

Last spring I found out that the Forest Service had just brought in a prison crew to saw out Fore Mountain Trail near Douthat State Park in VA. My girlfriend and I rode it from Covington to Douthat. While coming off the top of the Mountain I came to the first switchback. I heard what I thought was a bobcat up on the cliffs above me. I look up there to see a Mama bear with 2 very young cubs. Cubs are cying like crazy.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66 … 2759-1.jpg

The cubs are in the left side of the photo, Mama in the middle.

Mama is very agitated that we are there and paces around the cliff above us.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66 … 0_2765.jpg

My girlfriend is 100 yards up the hill watching the drama while I am snapping pictures. As soon as the bear goes behind the rocks, I motion for my girlfriend to catch up with me.

We ride through the hollow to the next ridge.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66 … 0_2771.jpg

As luck would have it, a huge blowdown had fallen since the saw crew had been through.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66 … 0_2773.jpg

It takes us a good 5 minutes to work our bikes over top of this mammoth oak to the other side. We get to the other side and a storm moves in. We look on the other side of the hollow and there is mama bear. She had ditched her cubs and came back down the hill to check on us and see why we were still there. We decided it was time to leave and luckily it was all downhill from there.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66 … 0_2775.jpg

Can’t figure out why my girlfriend doesn’t ride with me any more.

OK, I got the topper so far! IMHO that is…

Today, my brother and I were doing a great DH in CA (I would love to give the location but was told, due to my sighting, not disclose the location by the local ranger due to concerns of the sightings safety).

As I was going down this straight section of fire road, a large shadow passed over me rather fast. I looked up and saw this large white/silver’ish bird drop down the ridge about 30 feet above me and swing through some pines and land at the top of the tallest tree.

My brother comes down and I describe what I saw thinking it was a hawk. He laughed and said there are no white hawks he knew of, especially in CA. I swore I knew what I saw and pointed to where I hgad seen it land. All of a sudden we saw this bird turn in the tree and yuo could see this birds white chest. The distance was about 1/2 a mile and he convinced me we were likely looking at a bald eagle. I had seen them before as akid in KS, but this one seemed to be more sleek, aerodynamic. As we approached the bird took off and sailed over the canyon to the ridge on the other side.

Our bike trail brought us to within about 200 yards of the bird and it watched us for a minute and then took flight once again and disappeared over another ridge.

My brother was convinced it was an eagle and I went along with it. We rode a few hundred yards down the trail and found a great little area to stop and eat. A ranger and his family came down the hiking trail and we struck up a conversation. I mentioned the bird and his eyes lit up. "You saw it!?"

I described what I/we had seen and he got excited. Turns out it was an albino red tailed hawk! It was part of a mated pair and have been in the are for about 5 years. Turns out the rangers there have been trying to get close enough to a get a pic ever since with no luck.

We ride this trail a lot and I will definitely be taking a better camera and big lense just in case.

So, I call your albino squirrel, and raise and prey on it with my albino red tail hawk. 😃

It’s been a few years, and we have a lot of new forum users – time to bring this thread back to life!

In Waltham, MA, about two miles into the woods from the Belmont Conservation entrance, you come across Metfern Cemetery, which sits below what was the Gaebler Center in Waltham, MA. The cemetery is the final resting place for over 300 young children that died within 32 years from Massachusetts’ horrid "psychological health" facilities of the times. One of the saddest things you’ll ever see in the woods. 😢

SIGN:

VIEW:

I found a cliff bar on Saturday while riding.

I ate it on Sunday while riding.

It was great.

someone probably found a really nice pair of oakely’s @ tom brown park in tallahassee 😠 …

"limetownjack" wrote

someone probably found a really nice pair of oakely’s @ tom brown park in tallahassee 😠 …

Oh, where those yours….. 😮 😮 😮 😮 (just joshing)

Man, talk about an old resurrection! I remember when Fitch started this thread way back in ’08. The last posting as I checked was in ’08 as well. Glad to see some of them still holding appeal, even after 3 years…LOL.

My very first real trail I was riding I found $47 taped to a tree.
      I just assumed I was now a professional mountain biker, and thats how all pros got paid.
      Seriously though, someone taped $47 to a tree.

ha ha this threads been going for 5 years and so far the only items found that are of note are..

-dildo
      -$47
      -cliff bar
      -people "doin’ it"

in other words, if you have aspirations of being a treasure hunter, buy a metal detector and not a mtb!

"Lpwn_Ranger" wrote

My very first real trail I was riding I found $47 taped to a tree.
      I just assumed I was now a professional mountain biker, and thats how all pros got paid.
      Seriously though, someone taped $47 to a tree.

That was probably drug money. You probably intercepted a payment, and someone got knifed because of it. 😼

Just sayin’….
      😆

^^ What he said…you’re lucky you didn’t get shot!

Came across tombstone in old cemetary near Ozone AR marked Jesse James. Also found several pieces of undetonated ordiance while biking at Fort Chaffee near Ft. Smith, AR.

"aggiefan83" wrote

Also found several pieces of undetonated ordiance while biking at Fort Chaffee near Ft. Smith, AR.

Whoa! What kind? Like land mines? That’s pretty dang scary when you’re on a bike.

At Wompatuck State Park in Massachusetts, there’s a fenced off area because the US military acknowledged that there’s undetonated ordinance, including land mines, in that area from when it was an active base.

"Hey, man, watch me get some air off this!"
      *BOOM*

I ride a lot on protected land in eastern Maine (University of Maine trail system to be precise) so there are a ton of deer here. Last year when I was just getting into riding, a buddy of mine and I found an entire deer skull and spine, ripped clean of flesh, hanging from a tree. I got a great pic of it. When I get back to the house, I will look it up.

"maineskiaddict" wrote

I ride a lot on protected land in eastern Maine (University of Maine trail system to be precise) so there are a ton of deer here. Last year when I was just getting into riding, a buddy of mine and I found an entire deer skull and spine, ripped clean of flesh, hanging from a tree. I got a great pic of it. When I get back to the house, I will look it up.

Jeez, so they do exist! 😮

"Predators" that is. You know, the ones not from this world….LOL. For those who do not know "Predators", check out the four "Predator" movies. Last one was soooo cool! 😄

"Bonsai-CP" wrote

Jeez, so they do exist! 😮

"Predators" that is. You know, the ones not from this world….LOL. For those who do not know "Predators", check out the four "Predator" movies. Last one was soooo cool! 😄

You have no idea…wait til I can post the pic….super cool. I felt like I should be dressed in camo with some large automatic weapon, waiting for the red-dot triangle to hit my bike

*insert fast jungle drum sound fade in here*

Who knew all mountain bikers were [i:sm95he2g]Predator [/i:sm95he2g]fans?

Dude! That is crazy!

Holy crap! That’s…. wow!

Woah….That’s both creepy and cool. I found a skull. You can see it in my avatar. I even put a helmet on it. Most of what I find is just normal stuff, random chair, helmet impaled on tree, bike wheel 20 feet up in the trees, old abandoned buildings, pot farm, ruins of an old house, things like that.

Sooooo cool ‘maineskiaddict’!

Boy that brings back memories of my beloved Predator movies…LOL.

The worst that I nearly found (the rider before us), was a dead body. Seriously! It was a bum that was like a week into decay. Apparently they all thought it was a dead animal, so no one physically looked. Once I came up on the area, I had sensed it was something besides an dead animal, but continued riding until we looped back around, but the rider before me decided to poke around to find out, and then BAM, found it. It was nasty, but being in the Fire Service & EMS, it was a norm for me…LOL

On-On!

Viewing 58 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.