What’s in your pack?

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author

Just curious as to what everyone takes on just an average ordinary day out on the trail because, I’m told I over pack.

hahah thanks for you’re help. Where in WY have you been? i just moved here and i’m looking for some good rides.

I carry this stuff in my camel bak,,,,,
      1.spare tube
      2.multi tool
      3.patch kit
      4.tire preasure gauge
      5.three plastic tire levers
      6.cell phone/car keys/wallet
      7.spare change just in case I need or had a payphone to use.
      8.tire side wall patches,,but there really light and dont take up any room
      9.a leatherman multitool with the needlenose pliers.

I also carry a frame pump but you guessed it,its on the frame next to the water bottle cage.I also carry a co2 gadget but never use it,guess I’m old school or somthing.

Let’s see here. What do I have in here. First there’s the water bladder with cold water. Then there is my tool, and then small pump. Spare tube to go along with the pump. My bilfold, cell phone, keys, and usually there are two 20oz. gatorades in there to. If I go on a really long ride, I take some granola bars to; along with an instant patch kit to. And that’s about it.

Before I hit the trail, my gloves are in there to. But I don’t think that counts though.

Pretty much same as everyone else – add compass.

Dont any of you carry and use those co2 cartriges?

I never had the use of them. I have always used a mini pump for everything. Works for me. And its alot cheaper to.

And you cant run out of air either,hahaha.I used those damn things once and had multiple holes that I didnt know about and ended up having to walk out because I ran out of air.At that point I wondered why I didnt have my pump,and then I realized I should just have the pump and thats it.

Hahahahaha,,,,why I oughta,,,, 😛

Yea same normal stuff for me too;
      Water
      Cliff Bars
      Multi tool
      Tire levers
      Tube (2 for long days)
      Air pump on the frame
      Shock pump
      Small headlamp

Other stuff-
      25 ft of small braided line
      Advil
      Pen and paper
      Quarters
      3×3 gauze pads and roll of waterproof medical tape- c’mon, I cant be the only one who crashes here! 😃

"Mongoose" wrote

[quote="zombi":2tg87xgi]hahah thanks for you’re help. Where in WY have you been? i just moved here and i’m looking for some good rides.

I forgot to mention the tire levers, air shock pump, and tire pump. I only carry all these if I know I am going to be out all day or near that, especially if I am out on a long trail. I carry my wallet, car keys, cell phone, and spare change in my shorts.

I do not know exactly where you are in WY or how close you are to Laramie, WY, but a few years back I was out their for the Laramie Enduro. That is a 70 plus mile MTB event they hold their. Anyway, when I was their I rode some of the local trails around or near Laramie. I have rode North Folk, Quealy Lake Loop, Crater Lake, and Cambell Lake in the Medicine Bow National Forest. Some of them are pretty tough but most are simply intermediate to easy. I heard through a friend living in Montana that they opened a MTB trail at Curt Goudy State Park earlier this year. If my memory serves me right, it is called "El Alto MTB Trail". I like to ride around Yellowstone, but only had one chance to do so on my way up to Helena, Montana.[/quote:2tg87xgi]oh rad, i have some friends in Laramie i’ll have to check out the area.

I suppose i should post my pack contents i sorta forgot to haha.

2 liter camelback bladder
      32oz Nalgene
      Katadyne water filter
      1 Military Issue MRE Ration (just in case)
      5 or 6 clif bars
      small package of jerky
      nuts or seeds
      firestarter(usually just the flint tied to my back)
      multi tool
      tubes
      tire levers
      pump on my frame
      camera
      maps of the area
      Regular little pocket knife
      gloves
      jacket
      Head Lamp (and a cateye mounted to my bars looks lame but comes in handy)
      allen set
      crecent wrench

and if i’m by myself my Zune and headphones.

haha i suppose i’m in the wrong part of the state of epic scenery not much out the Evanston way but i do plan on hitting up the uintas as soon as i get a new GPS i here theres same knarly trails its just really easy to get lost out there.

thanks for you suggestions Mongoose you’re an alright cat.

I use the CO2 cartridges b/c they’re faster than a pump and with tubeless tires they will seat the tire faster. Sure they may be more expensive but the tiny little head and 2 cartridges weigh next to nothing and take up very little space.

On a side note, using tubeless greatly reduces my need for the cartridges in the first place.

In my seat bag – tube, CO2, needlenose, small crescent wrench, multi-tool, Quik Stix tire lever, duct tape rolled around a small pencil, and $10.

OK. First i use a Camelbak Octane 14+
      In it i have

100oz usually full
      Topeak mountain morph
      Topeak Alien 2
      Mavic tools for Spokes and hub
      Fox shock pump
      Tire irons

Spare derailleur cables
      Spare power link (x3)
      3 M6 bolts various lengths
      3 M5 bolts Various lengths
      Spare tube
      Patch kit

Food:

2 Power bars
      1 5 hour power shot
      3 oz of hammer gel in flask

Cell phone
      money
      ID

First aid kit that is custom packed….Not one of those cheap:

I have Benadrill (poison ivy,bug bites)
      Cream for burns
      Polysporin extra strength
      Advil Extra strength
      T3’s ((Just incase))
      Alcohol prep pads
      Iodine packs
      Standard assorted waterproof bandages three sizes
      3×5 skin patches
      4×10 skin patches
      3×5 gause patch
      3×5 dressing non stick pads
      surgical tape
      sling
      splints
      scissors
      sterilized curved needles
      Bio-degradable thread
      Steri-strips (for smaller cuts)
      Sting relief
      Diving knife (solid blade not folding with non-slip hilt) razor sharp

Somewhat excessive well i don’t think so….Break a bone and then you will change your mind about what you bring….OR worse break your bike and a bone and crushed cell phone….

Cream for burns
      Advil Extra strength
      T3’s ((Just incase))
      Alcohol prep pads
      Iodine packs
      3×5 skin patches
      4×10 skin patches
      3×5 gause patch
      surgical tape
      sling
      splints
      scissors
      Bio-degradable thread
      Sting relief

Somewhat excessive well i don’t think so….Break a bone and then you will change your mind about what you bring….OR worse break your bike and a bone and crushed cell phone….

You forgot the gurney to wheel yourself back to the trail head,,,,,,,,hahahahahaa.Medicinal laugh there dude.
      Are you saying that you broke a bone,a bike,and crushed your cell phone all in one crash?????I think we would ALL like to hear that story dude.

2 allen wrenches, ID, phone and my Zune…I guess I am a little under packed 😆

Mongoose if your like me….I hate walking out…..And when i ride if someone is in distress i help…I know first aid and i am a tech….basically i fix cars, planes, bikes, people….Name it i fix it….LOL..Seriously i can’t stand walking out or having something ruin a ride…. Cuts, gashes, brakes also ruin rides…

No worries dude i know….Trust me i had a laugh…..Besides when i go XC and want to go fast i use my white bike and my smaller Camelbak Octane XC and thats like dropping 15lbs

Its like night and day…..

Its like night and day…..

water
      Tube
      Patch kit
      Multitool
      2 SRAM power links
      tire pump
      tire lever
      keys
      probably some loose tire stem nuts and caps…

For longer rides, I add:
      chain lube
      granola bar or 2
      toilet paper
      cell phone
      wallet (sometimes)

sometimes:
      map/guidebook
      shock pump

I carry the c02, have used it works great!!!

wow, you guys impress me. then again, some of you guys probably ride 30mi out of civilization, whereas in jersey, you’re never that far from a road (i exaggerate, some of the northern and southern jersey parks are pretty big, thousands of acres). but for me the key is whether i’m alone or not. if i’m not alone and it’s one of my standard 1 – 2 hour rides, i bring a tube, 3 tire levers, a pump that i stick in my camelbac, bug repellant "wet naps" if it’s summer, a multi tool with a chain breaker, a little flask with some hammer gel in it if it’s more than an hour ride, some baby wipes in a baggie just in case nature suddenly calls (well, you asked), and i think that’s it. i don’t bring a wallet or a phone usually. my car has keyless entry, so no keys either. if i’m alone, i bring a phone and i guess i should bring some ID (though my phone shows my home phone number on it). i guess i under-pack.

i forgot to mention…i do have a garmin Edge GPS, so i could never get too lost.

"element22" wrote

OK. First i use a Camelbak Octane 14+
      In it i have

100oz usually full
      Topeak mountain morph
      Topeak Alien 2
      Mavic tools for Spokes and hub
      Fox shock pump
      Tire irons

Spare derailleur cables
      Spare power link (x3)
      3 M6 bolts various lengths
      3 M5 bolts Various lengths
      Spare tube
      Patch kit

Food:

2 Power bars
      1 5 hour power shot
      3 oz of hammer gel in flask

Cell phone
      money
      ID

Cream for burns
      Advil Extra strength
      T3’s ((Just incase))
      Alcohol prep pads
      Iodine packs
      3×5 skin patches
      4×10 skin patches
      3×5 gause patch
      surgical tape
      sling
      splints
      scissors
      Bio-degradable thread
      Sting relief

😮 😮 😮 😮

Didn’t you leave out the preped morphene and adrenaline shots???? 😆 😆 😆 😆

Just wondering; have you had a series of serious injuries and breakdowns that prompted you have all of this gear? I mean… DAAAANNNG!!! If you are going on some kind of 25+ mile- 5:00 A.M to 8:00 P.M or later ride then okay, but for a recreational ride….???

Anyway, at least you are prepared. I guess anyone who goes riding with you shouldn’t be to worried about a "ruined ride" to much.

LOL ummm well lets just say i am usually out for at least 4hours and the friends that i go with break down and break themselves often enough.

AH…

A tube, tire levers, multi-tool w/ chain tool, patch kit, mini-pump, small first aid kit, granola bar, small amount of duct tape, small tube of oil, a few extra links of chain, a small amount of tp, water. I need to add a small light , compass and a whistle.

If I had a larger pack (like the camelbak mule) I would probally have a little more.

LOL….The more space we have we need to fill…..At one time i considered getting the Camelbak vantage 30 / 40….Can you imagine what i could fit in there…

Short of a wheel i think i could pull that off…..Just have the frame and rear triangle separate…..At one time i was considering putting an adventure racing team together and that would have been the equipment i would have used. gives you enough room for extra boots and compartments that you could use waterproof seal bags.

Wow!!! 😮

Now that’s taking it to the extreme.

Let’s see . . . rummage around in the Camelback and Racktrunk . . .

<u>Camelback Outside Pockets</u>
      Crank Brothers Multi Tool 10
      Harpoon Pump
      Patch Kit
      Spare Tuubes x2
      Duct Tape
      Ice (Lots of ice!)

<u>Filling the Bladder</u>
      Depending on the season:
      Yellow Tail Shiraz
      Zellerschwatzerkatzen Liebfraumilch
      Pedro Domeq El Presidente 12 yr old (winter / no ice)

<u>Emergency Rations</u>
      Various Sushi Rolls
      Beluga Caviar
      Smoked Salmon
      Cream Cheese
      Bagels
      Milk (See Below)
      Brie

<u>Rack Trunk</u>
      (Depending on Mood)
      Whole Bean Kona Coffee
      Brazilian Bean
      Kenya AA
      Komodo Dragon Blend
      Espresso Roast Costa Yerga Cheffe
      Bean Grinder
      MSR Single Burner Backpack Stove
      Fuel
      Espresso Maker
      Coffee Maker
      Titanium Coffee Mug
      (Gotta conserve weight!)

Oh yeah, GPS, cell phone, wallet, laptop . . . Shazbat! Can’t take the printer

I can’t take everything I’d like. I mean this is a wilderness trip, right?

😆 😆 😆

1. Multi tool.-You never know when you’ll need to do maintenance on your bike.
      2. Two tubes-Yep. Two. I’ve been unlucky enough to get two flats on my bike on one ride. I don’t do patch kits. It’s almost faster to just put in a new tube and it doesn’t cost much. Plus, i always run slime.
      3. Snacks-Could be granola bars, CLIF bars, or gummi cola. Anything is better than nothing.
      4. Pump-I carry a pump that works with both valves. Gotta have the pump if you gotta change a tube.
      5. Tire Levers-Can’t change a tube without them most of the time. I carry metal ones made by Park. they’re heavy, but i’ve broken too many plastic ones and cracked my knuckles too much.
      6. Water-Always fill my camelback. Never really know how much water i’m going to want on a ride.
      7. Cell phone-never know when you are going to break your bike or need someone to pick you up.
      8. wallet-sometimes you have to park in some sketchy places. I’d rather have my wallet on me if someone breaks in to my truck.
      9. Toilet paper-Never had to use it in 12 years of riding until i went to Moab this fall. Don’t ask.

Just a note on cell phones. They are great to have for an emergency BUT do not believe for one moment it will work all the time. I have heard to many times of hikers/bikers that rely on it for calling for "help" in non-emergencies.

Be prepared for an emergency also includes the knowledge of what to do and how to do it. Whats the purpose of a tube if you don’t know how to change it. A map if you cannot read it.

I pack my

wallet
      Keys
      Phone
      tubes
      small pump
      multi tool
      light snack
      Water

:?: I noticed that NO ONE carries a "cable and lock" so I take it you all just carry your mtb via car/truck to a riding area?? I use my mtb as a "everything bike" so I might be on singletrack, then on the ride home stop at a bakery, (yea, I know, un-healthy 😉 ) so I have to carry a "cable and lock", which add to the overall weight.

My problem is that I have arthritic shoulders and the weight from the pack get’s to me while out riding 😢 I admit I’m using a wally-mart padded backpack, my water is in bottles on the frame, with my air pump. I ride a lot more comfortable using a "rear rack and rackbag" but I’m thinking I’d like to just use a backpack, when I get my Jamis Trail-X 2.0 as I plan on more local singletrack riding than on my current POS Roadmaster Mnt. Sport SX. Any ideas on how to distribute the weight in the pack for more comfort??

a good pack trick i learned on a two week backpacking excursion is put the heaviest stuff in the middle extra clothes jackets and such in the bottom and everything else on top. also if your pack doesn’t have a lumbar strap i would suggest if you can buying or or just modifying the one you have i actually put on a waste/lumbar strap on some climbing gear this week I went and bought a 2" wide piece of nylon webbing and just one of those buckles where you push the prongs in. (did it for under five bucks) that will make tons of difference and allows you to distribute the weight differently pending on how tight it is and giving your shoulders a rest. also its nice on your bike keeps the pack from flopping around.
      hopefully you can figure something out to help you enjoy the ride better. good luck!

I do carry a cable lock while riding in town. Its one of the barrel type combo locks and a pretty thin, plastic coated cable 4′ long. Its thin enough it will roll up and fit into my small tool bag under the seat, works fine for just stopping by the coffee shop, etc.

Viewing 37 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.