What tools do you carry on you when riding?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum What tools do you carry on you when riding?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

I have a fairly small saddle bag so I just carry a Cycle Design multi-tool, a pair of 5" Visegrips and a razorblade knife. What does everyone else carry on them?

[url:1ufx3eq1]http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=2521[/url:1ufx3eq1]

Check out this singletracks thread dude,all you could want to know and more,hahahahaha.It’s about 3 pages back now but when it started it got alot of attention.

I carry;
      spare tube,topeak multi tool w/chain break tool,tire preasure gauge,mini frame pump,patch kit,side wall patche kit(pretty cool kit),a dollar or two of quarters,cell phone,spare derailer hanger,chain lube,spare chain links,spare master link,car keys(I never leave my car keys in the car,they might break in but there not gonna just drive off in my car,hahahaha),3 plastic tire levers,wallet,and I just found a really light weight and small first aid kit at the army/navy surplus store so I’m gonna throw that in there now.
      Alot depends on where I’m riding too,if I’m out of town on a trail I havent ridden before,then I’ll pretty much grab the kitchen sink as well and load up on food and water.I really want to do one of those 30 milers like the edge loop in fruita up 18 road and or ride the kokapelli over nighter thing somtime for sure,so that’ll require a whole different packing process.
      Also if I’m riding back yard stuff like up at red rocks or green mountain,I dont worry about as much stuff,just make sure I got the tube,air preasure gauge,water and mini pump,patch kit.So there’s really a degree to what I carry on any givin ride depending how well I know the trail,how long the trail is,and how much I feel like experimenting by carrying more or less stuff.I guess it depends on how much stuff you got to carry as well,like right now I want a H.O.S.S camel bak but dont have the money for it so I gotta make due with what I got.Last year we went up to monarch pass and I just knew I would need alot of water,so there I was strapping this gallon jug of water to my pack,I felt smart for knowing I’d need the extra water,but man did that gallon jug get heavy till I drank all that water,ahahahahah.I know,I know,I know,prehydrate you big dummy,next time I will prehydrate so I dont get altitude sickness,i.e. headachs,nausia,lightheadedness,weakness,cramps,low energy.I live in colorado,you’d think I couldnt get caught in a situaition like this.Ya never know.

CoolTool (multi-tool), tire levers, patch kit, a few spare chain links, spare tube, mini-pump, small roll of duct tape, 3" piece of old tube, small container of lube, pocket knife

"Goo" wrote

Yes, always bring extra everything! If you don’t bring it, you will break it or need it. I’ve learned the hardway to bring:

Pump
      Bike tool
      Multi tool
      Knife
      Tire Levers
      Power links (at least 2 or 3)
      Spare tubes (at least 2)
      Derailleur Hanger
      Duct Tape
      Compass
      Map
      Rain Jacket
      Extra Layers
      Head Lamp
      Water Treatment Chemicals
      Food
      Water (lots of it)
      Energy Gel Packets

and this list will probably keep growing!

Here is what I bring:

Pump
      CO2 inflator w/ spare co2 cartridge
      multi-tool w/ chain tool
      Power links
      food
      lots of water
      cell phone
      towel
      wallet
      keys
      tire levers
      spare tubes
      shock pump
      tube patch kit
      1st aid kit
      maps
      GPS
      vice grips

My Pack has: 1) Tubes x 2, 2) CO2 cart. x 4, 3) CO2 tire inflater, 4) Tire Irons, 5) "Power Link" for the Chain, 6) Chain Removal Tool 7) Allan Wrench Tool Set 8 ) and a Multi Tool or Gator 9) Shock Pump sometimes 10) and ALWAYS bring a Cell Phone and extra health insurance card in case of injury

and I would also recommend a "Hanger" for the Rear Derailleur…I saw a guy end his ridding day very early by a broken Hanger just the other day 😢

I know it is outdated, but my 15 year old Cool Tool, a tire lever, a patch kit, and a CO2 inflater. If you let someone know where you’ll be going, and when you’re supposed to be back, you’ll never have to walk home!!

"grizzly" wrote

If you let someone know where you’ll be going, and when you’re supposed to be back, you’ll never have to walk home!!

how do you figure?

grizzly wrote:
      If you let someone know where you’ll be going, and when you’re supposed to be back, you’ll never have to walk home!!

how do you figure?

I think he means if you ride your bike to the trail and it breaks down and you dont have parts to fix it right there,AND you dont have a cell phone,then eventually somone that knows where you are and when your supposed be back can just come and get you. I think,,,,,,,,, 😮 hahahahahaha.

"steve32300" wrote
      grizzly wrote:

how do you figure?

I think he means if you ride your bike to the trail and it breaks down and you dont have parts to fix it right there,AND you dont have a cell phone,then eventually somone that knows where you are and when your supposed be back can just come and get you. I think,,,,,,,,, 😮 hahahahahaha.

idk. i could see it being true if you are road riding, but if you are 15 miles out in the backcountry without the right fix, you are royally screwed.

Oh man,I know that feeling.The bike didnt break but I was sick about three weeks before we rode a out and back trail about 8 miles out and back.We got to the turn around point and I guess I wasnt totally recuperated yet and I started to cramp up all over,legs,arms,abdominals,face,shoulders,you name it,it was cramping,it took me almost 3 hours to get back the 8 miles to the trail head.I rode about 10 feet at a time and just had to keep lettin the cramps go away to go again.

"steve32300" wrote

Oh man,I know that feeling.The bike didnt break but I was sick about three weeks before we rode a out and back trail about 8 miles out and back.We got to the turn around point and I guess I wasnt totally recuperated yet and I started to cramp up all over,legs,arms,abdominals,face,shoulders,you name it,it was cramping,it took me almost 3 hours to get back the 8 miles to the trail head.I rode about 10 feet at a time and just had to keep lettin the cramps go away to go again.

holy crap dude, that seriously sucks!! and i thought i had it bad the other day when i was lost in the middle of nowhere and my legs were cramping… i can’t imagine my whole body spasming like that!

"Goo" wrote

[quote="grizzly":1gc9oeli] If you let someone know where you’ll be going, and when you’re supposed to be back, you’ll never have to walk home!!

how do you figure?[/quote:1gc9oeli]

When I was racing back in college, we had several training loops that ranged from 20 to 40 miles. Depending on where we were going, the folks back home would have a general idea of where we were if we didn’t come home.

You don’t have to take 40 pounds of stuff every time you go for a ride…I’ve made it 20+ years riding and racing mountain and road bikes and have never needed anything more than what I currently carry. As a rule of thumb, cell phones don’t work in Wyoming, even in town!

Yes, always bring extra somethings! I’ve too have learned the hardway to bring some items:

Pump (C02 cartridges & nozzle)
      Spare tube ($5 insurance cost)
      Multi tool pack
      couple of alan wrenches
      chainwax before ride to keep the chain lubed up
      Knife
      GPS unit (download unfamiliar trails for the first time rides)
      Extra clothes when done to change into after showering off
      Food, Clif bars are good, PowerGels are good too…
      Water (lots of it) like a Hydration back-pack
      Ah….don’t forget a camera or HD Camcorder mounted on the BrainSaver

and this list will probably keep growing! 😎

What’s up with the showers dude?Do you have showers at the trail head where you ride?I’ve seen showers on the beach,like in california,but I dont think I’ve ever seen shower’s at a trail head….????hahahahaha.

Everytime I ride I bring these items: Water, granola bars, multi tool, hand pump, spare inner tube, my phone and last but not least my ipod.

"steve32300" wrote

What’s up with the showers dude?Do you have showers at the trail head where you ride?I’ve seen showers on the beach,like in california,but I dont think I’ve ever seen shower’s at a trail head….????hahahahaha.

As a matter of fact……here in Central FL where the 2 closest trails are located we have showers to rinse off the sand, sweat & to cool the body temp’s down……I’m sure it get hot where your at, but it gets really, really blazing hot here in the summertime……BTW……Florida is surrounded by beaches….. 😆 😆 😆 …..later

As a matter of fact……here in Central FL where the 2 closest trails are located we have showers to rinse off the sand, sweat & to cool the body temp’s down……I’m sure it get hot where your at, but it gets really, really blazing hot here in the summertime……BTW……Florida is surrounded by beaches….. …..later

I knew it…………….somone tried to tell me there was swamp land down there,but actually there’s beachs down there in florida…………..hahahahaahahah.Just what I figured,I’ve only tuly known that the showers on the beaches were for rinsing the salt water and sand,I didnt realize it got that HOT down there in florida I guess,and yeah we have heat here as well,but it’s dry heat here,desert mountain heat.Being this close to the sun,just wicks all the moisture out of everything,including the brain,hahahahaahahhahaha.

Now that’s funny 😆 😆 😆 …….oh and about the showers……. who said clothes?????? 😮 ………. just kidding 😆 😆 !!! Thank God the MTB parks here are considerate enough to help cool us down a bit and wash the mud, sand & ect. off of the bikes.

Alien II bike tool, extra tube, patches, pump, duct tape…
      I tore an 8 stitch gash in my leg, and wrapped it with duct tape to cut the bleeding until I got to the hospital. It worked, and I take it on mnt bike rides and tours.

"markgowan" wrote

Alien II bike tool, extra tube, patches, pump, duct tape…
      I tore an 8 stitch gash in my leg, and wrapped it with duct tape to cut the bleeding until I got to the hospital. It worked, and I take it on mnt bike rides and tours.

Duct Tape – man thats great stuff. Girlfriend got a bad puncture wound on a rock a couple of years ago. Of course me, I had forgot my first aid kit that day. We wrapped it up with a piece of plastic and electric tape. I usually keep a piece of roll of electric tape in my pack when I ride. It light and is good for temporarily repairs.

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.