What to do with old hardtail MTB

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

I have a 2006 Ironhorse Warrior 1.3 that I Paid $300 for. I just got a Sette Ace and I am wondering what to do with my Ironhorse? I did not spend much money on it and I need a new cassette which i do not want to throw down cake for. I have come down to these two options:
      1. Convert to a singlespeed
      2. Keep as a backup bike

anybody have any other ideas for what i should do with it???

Commuter bike for burning around town without wasting your knobbies.

SKI BIKE!!!!! Well I have an old Trek I am doing that with. If all gears and such work just keep it as a back up bike. Once it fails SS that thing!

"Funrover" wrote

SKI BIKE!!!!! Well I have an old Trek I am doing that with. If all gears and such work just keep it as a back up bike. Once it fails SS that thing!

Good idea except in Northern Virginia we do not get enough snow(except this year) to have an actual ski bike. I still want to use it too, but just don’t know how to

I saw that you were from Northern Virginia. I moved out to Colorado a few years ago and sure miss mud and soft dirt. Have a lot of fond memories of those rides.

Keep it as a backup bike. You could put road tires on it and have it to tool around with or put on a trainer for those days where there is just too much snow to ride outside. I think keeping a secondary bike around to ride when you’re not on the trail the trail will help extend the life of your Sette.

If you really feel like it you could try to set it up as a commuter, but I’m not sure I would put my life in the hands of the drivers in No. Virginia.

Back up bike.

You could always have it around for a non mountain biker and convert them. Thats what I plan to do with mine. I think its just the right size to get my girlfriend on some trails. Hopefully she likes it!!

"jboyd122" wrote

Keep it as a backup bike. You could put road tires on it and have it to tool around with or put on a trainer for those days where there is just too much snow to ride outside. I think keeping a secondary bike around to ride when you’re not on the trail the trail will help extend the life of your Sette.

If you really feel like it you could try to set it up as a commuter, but I’m not sure I would put my life in the hands of the drivers in No. Virginia.

I agree with you, I think I am going to keep it as a backup bike/ invest in some inexpensive road tires to cruise around for fun. Thanks for the advice

I kept my Mongoose AKA Wal-Mart when I got my Fisher. If a trail needs to be blazed (legally) the Goose can do the dirty work and take the beating while the Fisher can just enjoy the finished trail

I turned mine into a work commuter:

"maddslacker" wrote

I turned mine into a work commuter:

What year/model Specialized is that? I’d be interested in what updates you made to convert yours to a commuter.

I have a rigid HardRock that is well over 10 years old, and it is still a solid bike. I take it around the neighborhood every now and then with my son, but I’ve got plans one day to experiment with it. I plan to put some hybrid/commuter type tires on it since it will probably see more pavement in this phase of it’s life. After that, I might play around with making it a 2×9 and add a bash guard. The large ring is bent, and I hardly ever (possibly never) use that ring anyway. Or, maybe I’ll go 1×9 or even SS. I’ve never done anything like that, so it will be a learning experience at the very least.

It’s a 2003.
      [list:c8y5jmm2]I did the following:
      swapped the suspension fork for a rigid steel one
      added the pannier rack
      flipped the stem spacers to raise up the handlebars slightly
      replaced the WTB velociraptors with Bontrager Comfort Hardcase tires
      bought a Cannondale CyPod laptop pannier bag[/list:u:c8y5jmm2]
      That’s it…instant commuter bike!

JDH

I guess I’m the odd ball, I sold my old HT and used the money for upgrades on my FS. Upgraded my wheel set and tires but kept the old set for when I want to play around on the streets.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.