What size 2.1 26" tires are you running?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Looking to pick up a little more speed on my FS so im thinking of swapping out my 2.3 wtb weirwolfs for something a bit faster and lighter. I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for a good fast all around tire. The trails i ride are either hardpack flowing single track or rooty and rocky but not excessively.

Any suggestions?

I ride Kenda Nevegals with a 2.1 in the rear and 2.3 up front. I found with the 2.1 in the rear I keep my speed while maintaining good traction with the 2.3.

+1 for trying a thinner tire on the rear first before changing both out. I really like the stability it provides. Good mix between traction and speed.

Try the Kenda Small block 8s or the Maxxis Larsen TTs in the rear if you are looking for more speed. I tend to run these at a bit lower air pressure than my Nevegals but the difference in rolling resistance is night and day.

The Larsens come in a 2.0 that is as low as 500g if you go with the 120TPI version. The Small Blocks are basically the same tread as the Nevegal, only really little and packed in. They weigh in around 500g as well. Both have really low rolling resistance but a surprising amount of grip as long as you don’t get them in mud.

Either one of these will knock off 200-350g of weight from your Weirwolf rear tire (not sure which year or specific model you own).

Another easy way to lighten up a wheel is to install lighter tubes. Normal tubes clock in around 150-200g. Super lights can be found in the range of 50g a tire.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.