What shoes to buy?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking into buying some mountain bike shoes… but from what I’ve gathered, there’s different kinds of clips for different shoes. What kind of clip do I need? I’ve attached a picture of my pedal clips.

Thanks!

You will need shoes that are SPD compatible.. Anybody care to confirm? I don’t know if older shimanos had a different cleat.

Those look like SPD pedals, but the cleats are interchangeable from shoe to shoe. Any clipless shoe you buy can take any type of cleat, and the cleats usually come with the pedals but are also sold separately.

Hope that makes sense.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Those look like SPD pedals, but the cleats are interchangeable from shoe to shoe. Any clipless shoe you buy can take any type of cleat, and the cleats usually come with the pedals but are also sold separately.

Hope that makes sense.

Cool, thanks. It makes sense. One extra question; how big are the cleats (typically)? If I wanted to swap between platform and clipped while I ride, would the cleat make pedaling on the platform side uncomfortable?

"sprodj" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":1ik3r8mz]Those look like SPD pedals, but the cleats are interchangeable from shoe to shoe. Any clipless shoe you buy can take any type of cleat, and the cleats usually come with the pedals but are also sold separately.

Hope that makes sense.

Cool, thanks. It makes sense. One extra question; how big are the cleats (typically)? If I wanted to swap between platform and clipped while I ride, would the cleat make pedaling on the platform side uncomfortable?[/quote:1ik3r8mz]

Pretty much. Although I suppose some shoes would be worse than others.

Word of advice – make sure the cleets are attached snug to your shoe. If they rotate due to being loose, you will find out at the worst time as you try to unclip and are unable to without twisting your foot a lot more. By that time you are on the ground with the bike on top of you. Personal experience of course.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.