What sensors?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Is a GPS the only phone sensor that you are using or plan to use in the future.  A smart phone can do a lot of things and I’m just wondering if there is any potential of using more phone components to make the riding experience more engaging.

The camera is a pretty huge one for me. The videos from my iPhone blow away GoPro footage in terms of clarity and color, though obviously the phone isn’t a good choice for POV. Ditto for still photos, which are automatically geo-tagged, making it cool to see where features, views, etc. are located on a trail.

Some POV cameras are using accelerometers to show stuff like G-forces on jumps but IMO that’s not really something mainstream riders care about. I’m sure there are apps out there that do something similar like overlaying accelerometer data on a video or map animation of a ride.

The phone’s ability to discern angles is interesting as well. For instance, you could attach a phone to your bike and whenever it senses it’s at a descending angle, it could open up the shock remotely. Bike companies have been playing around with this concept for several years, though current solutions integrate the sensor into the bike itself for a much neater design.

Heck, even a smartphone’s camera flash (though not a sensor) could be useful for bikers. If you could strobe your phone’s camera flash it could serve as a great thing for night visibility. In a pinch, you could even use “flashlight” mode to ride in the dark. The only limitation is battery life. 🙂

Thinking beyond the smartphone, a heads up display ala Google Glass could be pretty killer. If you could load a known course and “see” obstacles around corners, you could potentially ride faster and more safely.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.