what kind of camera do you use?

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

Just curious…what type of camera do you use to take pictures of the trails, great jumps, etc. while riding? I’m assuming most of us don’t have a professional photographer following us on our rides 😀 I’ve always wanted to take a camera with me, but I don’t want to jack up the nice digital one I have (plus it’s kind of big to carry around on the trail). Can’t decide if it’s worth it to fork over $80 & buy a pocket-size digital camera, or just throw a good ‘ol disposable in my pack. Suggestions???

I’ve always taken a camera on the trail, even in the dark days of film cameras. Up until recently I took my smallish digital camera (a Canon Powershot S45) and just shoved it into my jersey or shorts pocket. It didn’t always stay in my pocket and over time the screen cracked after one too many trailside spills.

Now that I have a Camelbak H.O.S.S. I take my big DSLR (a Canon Rebel XTi) and just shove it into the pack where it stays pretty well protected. In fact I’ve fallen on the Camelbak a couple times and the camera wasn’t damaged. I’m starting to dabble a bit in trailside video as well and it’s no biggie to haul my handheld Sony digital 8 camcorder in the H.O.S.S. with the DSLR.

These days they’re making cameras smaller and cheaper so if you’re worried about ruining a nice camera or the extra weight I say buy a cheap digital and you’ll still get some amazing shots.

I have a gopro hero wide 5mp coming in the mail tomorrow. Does both video and stills. I have an old EOS 3 SLR but it’s all film. If I upgraded to a DSLR I would still be reluctant to take it out, its not so much the camera I am worried about but the GLASS! A good wide angle lens will cost more than the camera. I would suggest getting a nice point and shoot camera with the biggest aperture lens that you can afford. If you are looking to do action shots, you want something with less shutter lag and fast auto focus.

Then again, get what ever you can get your hands on. Nice cameras do not make good photogs ;) click away!

I use a OLD HP 3.1 megapixel compact digital camera, it does a ok job and is small enough not to be a burden. Now lately, I’ve been using my new cellphone’s camera but it’s not taking very good photo’s, (max. res. 640×480) so I’m going back to taking my old digital along. It’s amazing how tough these compact camera’s are, I’ve used this camera while motorcycling and bicycling!

I’d recommend finding a compact that has a high level "Optical Zoom", (5 or better) as "Digital Zoom" isn’t worth anything, jmho. The compacts are getting way cheap and have lot’s of features some even do minor viedos too! 😎

Just a Kodak EasyShare 10.1-Megapixel Digital that was given to me as a present. It does a relatively decent job getting a nice picture, not being a photographer and all. I try and keep it in my pack, but sometimes I’m on a picture-taking-frenzy and just shove it in my pocket, which could be bad if I take a wipeout.

I use the shockproof, waterproof, Olympus 1030 sw. 10.1 megapixels, small and light weight. A great camera, I highly recommend it.

I just got done looking at some of the output from the gopro. Video is GREAT! Stills are really impressive too! Totally not what I was expecting. The thing is super tiny too. I set it up to take a picture every 2 seconds and just rode it looks great. I’ll post some trail pics up later and post a link. There is a video I spliced together the other day from it that turned out pretty good. My editing needs work and the content isn’t anything super exciting… Just a chump trying to learn how to jump ;)
      http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bi … ction=view
      Yes… I know I spelled trail wrong, it was 2am 😛

Spelled Trail as Tral on the title 😀
      Here are some full res pics

I just got my GoPro helmet yesterday thru REI (Thank you dividends and 20% off!!) Can’t wait to use it!

For years I have been carrying, and using on the very rare occasion, a Casio Exilim 5MP thin camera. I consider it somewhat of a disposable camera although it takes really nice shots. It is so slim that it is easy to forget that you have it.

I finally got a chance to try out the GoPro helmet cam and it is AWESOME! The video comes out crystal clear and helps you relive those epic rides. I’ll try to get some stills and post as soon as I can. I love that camera!

It’s making me even more excited to head up to Moab in next month. 😆

I have a sony cybershot 4.1 mp that I’ve carried hiking/motorsports/biking. Moisture has finally worked its way inside and occasionally causes problems. For as many places as its been it doesn’t owe me anything.

I’ve used the GoPro Helmet Camera too and I must say it was brilliant, especially for the price.

But I’ve got the VIO POV.1.5 and this really is the best, quite a bit more money, but worth it. You can use it for pretty much every sport, mount to it anything that you could want to and the quality of the videos are amazing. It’s perfect for biking!

The thing to remember about cameras, especially dslr’s, is that with price comes quality! I used to ride with my canon 5D and a 70-200L lens in the bag strapped to the back of my bike, a little rack system i got at REI. sure it shook around quite a bit, but never had a single issue with camera or lens.

I’m really happy to hear about the GoPro Hero; I was having a toss-up between this one and the Oregon Scientific ACT3K camera…looks like I’ll be going with the GoPro. 😃

I don’t do video, just stills. I like to pack rugged, small and light. Kind of like my opinion of "best bike" it’s whatever I’ve got now. My old Olympus C-7000 was great until it just became too unreliable. I now have a Nikon S-630.

If I’m in a serious photography mood and feel like packing some weight, I go 35mm with my Nikon 8008 and 24-120 zoom. Not much on the long range, but it has a great wide angle that suits my photography style.

i carry a simple canon powershot sd750. it takes up no room in my pack and the quality isn’t all that bad for what i paid for it. it takes a beating in my pack, seeing as how i fall a lot, especially when riding dirt bikes. pretty good camera though.

Me, Im using the Kodak Easy Share too.You can take more than photos out there.

For still photos I use a Kodak M1063 (10 megapixel) that is thin, light and takes great photos:
      Examples
      and
      [url:3h4qjam9]http://jencropable.net/blogwithin/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/Castlewood_Canyon/Cliffs_Pine-800×600.JPG[/url:3h4qjam9]

I carry it in my jersey pocket with the lanyard hanging out so that I can grab it in a hurry. So far it has survived falls due to it being in the void created by the thickness of my camelback.

For video I picked up an Oregon Scientific AT2K, but I haven’t settled on a mounting method that I am happy with yet.

There’s a short video from it in that same link above.

What a well timed thread! Just read it today and I have a new Canon EOS XS coming in the mail. I’m really glad to hear about all the people on here that have had success bringing their DSLRs along. I was a little worried about toting something that expensive but it seems like I just need a decent pack and I’ll be good to go.

I have a cheap Kodak digital that I usually bring but really wanted to take along a something nicer to capture the countryside. People always ask me what I like so much about mountain biking over other my other hobbies and the easiest answer is to pop out a cool photo. People take one look at some of the scenery and it’s an instant understanding.

Just wondering, anyone ever bring a small tripod with them as well or just the lenses and body? I’ve seen some of those mini tripods that look like they would break down to under 9 inches in height and fit right into a backpack.

Also, what do most of you guys carry your equipment in when riding? Specialty packs or just your normal camelback? I’m going to have 3 lenses so I was thinking about dropping some coin on a light hiking backpack that would allow for a lot more room, but, I’m thinking it might be overkill and too cumbersome on the trail. Unfortunately, I like to carry half my freaking toolbox out with me as well so I’m going to need some serious cargo space.

Trek, how much stuff can you fit into that H.O.S.S.? Could it double as an overnight backpack or is it not quite up to that sort of task?

My wife has the chicks’ version of this, and it holds 3 liters of water, all the usual trail stuff, a light coat and her Canon DSLR with either the 28-200mm telephoto or 50mm fixed lens, but not both.

She doesn’t bring a tripod, but rather uses the saddle or handlebars to steady the camera if needed.

As for a "real" backpack, check out the cycling specific expedition backpacks from Ergon.

Yeah, the H.O.S.S. is pretty freakin’ huge – in fact I got a lot of sh*t from the guys at Sumter for riding with such a fat pack 😀 It’s not large enough for an overnighter mainly because it won’t fit a tent and sleeping bag but it can definitely carry a video camera, DSLR, a change of clothes, tools, snacks, and water with room left to spare. It also has mesh pockets on the outside and places to strap stuff yet it’s still stable over gnarly terrain.

For riding I can’t imagine a better choice – only issue may be that it’s not large enough for what you need… But as far as I know it’s the largest biking specific pack out there.

Next time you ride with them you should throw on some panniers and see what they say. 😃

EX-FC100 for now, waiting on the VHoldrHD

Got the new Canon Rebel in the mail last night and I’m stoked! Got a chance to play with some of the medium range zoom lenses last night at a party. If the wide angle landscape pics are half as good as the close up people portrait shots I’m gonna be loving this thing! Gotta get out on a sunny day and test her out with some good shots of my local rides.

My new challenge…get an epic shot worthy of the front page of Singletracks!

[size=150:1k0p0k69]Let the challenge begin![/size:1k0p0k69]

"droc" wrote

Just curious…what type of camera do you use to take pictures of the trails, great jumps, etc. while riding? I’m assuming most of us don’t have a professional photographer following us on our rides 😀 I’ve always wanted to take a camera with me, but I don’t want to jack up the nice digital one I have (plus it’s kind of big to carry around on the trail). Can’t decide if it’s worth it to fork over $80 & buy a pocket-size digital camera, or just throw a good ‘ol disposable in my pack. Suggestions???

I use a Kodak EasyShare 4.0 camera, easy to use and small enough to carry in my back pocket of my shirt. Just got the VHoldrHD and ready to try it out……will post when I get some riding in after vacation.

I use a Swann Freestyle HD (like a GoPro with more stuff) and I have a Nikon 8100. Which only recently scratched the lens. The 8100 has had a hard life in the Fire Department. I camera has taken a pretty good beating and still take great photos. My Freestyle will take 8M still and HD video. I like the LCD screen and wireless remote. They were included. And I think it’s shoots the same quality video as a GoPro Hero. However the Hero 2 has a much better lens

Got a Nikon Coolpix for the stills and a Drift Innovation 1080 for the vids

Viewing 26 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.