What is the best part on your bike?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

Thought this would be an interesting discussion. What do you think is the best component on your bike, and why?

I’ll start: My Stan’s Arch 29er rims. Why? ‘Cause they’re light, reasonably priced, built up easily and straight, easy-as-pie and reliable-as-a-hammer tubeless use, and they’re tough. I built the wheels myself in December ’09, my first (and so far only) time ever building wheels so I’m hardly an expert. I’ve been beating on them since then, mostly on a rigid bike, and I’ve never taken a spoke wrench to them after they went on the bike the first time. After well over 3,000 miles the front wheel is still dead on perfectly true, the rear has just a very slight wobble in one spot, only about 2mm out of true, you have to look really close to see it, can’t feel it at all. I’ve bottomed them out on roots/rocks multiple times with no ill effects. Built up with straight guage DT spokes and American Classic hubs has made a bombproof and very light (1650g) set up. NoTubes does custom wheels, you can have the same set up made for you for $760 – try and find another tubeless wheelset at that price and that weight with high quality hubs. If I were going to build another set of wheels I wouldn’t even consider using any other rim.

Your turn!

Wheels are my faverate as well,although the frame of a bike is right up there and only a fraction of a point behind.The wheels are what gives a bike life,I mean,the instant they start turning is when the bike comes to life and makes the rider feel like he is flying.The rider pedals and the wheels create momentum and off ya go.

That’s a tough one!

I really like my SRAM X0 brakes – the lever feels great and they look amazing. I also love how easy they are to set up – just squeeze the levers, tighten the CPS bolts, and they’re dialed.

I’m also a big fan of my Stylo crank. Yeah, it seems like everyone with a singlespeed or 1×9 uses the Stylo and it’s actually pretty basic and simple. It’s not the lightest crank out there or the most stylish but mine have been super dependable.

Funny, I was just thinking during a ride yesterday about how much MTB components have changed in the last few years and how much better things are today (lock-on grips, thru axles, etc.). But that’s a whole other post…

This is a toughy, especially since I have so many bikes in my shed at the moment, but I have to say that in general, nothing makes me as happy as a good fork.

It doesn’t have to be the most expensive one on the market, it just needs to do it’s job, have a smooth action, be easy to set up, last a long time between maintenances, and provide great small-bump compliance and protect me from the big hits as well.

Of course, there are a lot of forks that don’t do those things ;)

Recent forks I’ve used that I’ve really loved have been the 100 mm Rock Shox Reba RLT 29er and a 120 mm Rock Shox Recon Gold TK 26er.

You might take your fork for granted when it’s doing it’s job, but when it starts wearing out or you’ve got a crappy fork, you’ll really notice it…

Tough call, really tough.

I like my frame, the geometry is really dialed, it’s decently light for a 130mm travel bike (28.2 lbs). It climbs well, it descends well, it flat out rips on tech or buff. I’ve been riding since I was 14, and now I’m pushing 30, I still can’t outride this frame.

I love my fork. The 140mm Revelation Dual Air is light, stiff, plush, and tunable. Everything you want in a fork.

Cane Creek 100 headset is subtle, and works perfectly.

But, I guess I would have to say, I love my saddle. The Charge Spoon looks great, is pretty light, fits me like a glove, has nice flex, and was less than $30. Wow, the best part on my bike was also one of the cheapest!

On my XC bike, its the whole bike, its a sweet ride and Its the whole thing that makes riding it great. On my DH, at the moment id have to say the suspension, it rocks!

Earlier this year I would have said my dropper seatpost, the KS i950r. It truly transformed the way I ride making me more confident and therefore, a more capable rider. The best thing about it is that now, riding mike bike that doesn’t have the dropper post, the confidence has carried over. The sections of the trail that were kinda sketchy pre-i950r days are now a piece of cake with or with out the post.

But now, riding without the post for months now, I have to say my new fork, 2011 FOX 32 FLOAT FIT RLC w/Kashima is the best. The 15mm thru axle makes an incredible difference with significantly less deflection and increased rigidity. Combine that with the buttery Kashima and you have a solid, work horse of a fork. Love it!

The rider 😄

other than that, the SLX breaks. Great power, no fading, great handling

My favorite part is the pedals…all you need to do is put your feet on then and amazing things happen.
      Always Ride!
      CF

WHEELS WHEELS WHEELS!!! My 26 inch geared has Easton Haven Carbon, my 29er SS has EDGE Composites with Chris King hubs.

"hnetsrik" wrote

WHEELS WHEELS WHEELS!!! My 26 inch geared has Easton Haven Carbon, my 29er SS has EDGE Composites with Chris King hubs.

😮 Ballin’!

Suspension, wheels, & beefy frame!!! 😄

Without them, this ole man wouldn’t be able to ride the way I do…LOL! 😆

Since my bike is mostly stock and entry level, not much stands out except my tires (one of the few things I’ve changed.)

I went from the Specialized Fast Trax to Kendra something. I pulled them off a free Trek 820 I picked up and I immediately noticed I was clearing more sections and it just seems faster overall. No clue if the tires are actually lighter, but they feel that way on the bike (who cares what the scale says! 😄 )

The cheap Bonty hubs on my Rig. They are super-quiet, no sound of pawls clicking even when coasting. All I hear is rubber on dirt and my own labored breathing, heaven!

Most definitely my Ahrens Wisecracker bottle opener/headset spacer/post ride IPA popper.

The RIDER 😃

"jtorlando25" wrote

Most definitely my Ahrens Wisecracker bottle opener/headset spacer/post ride IPA popper.

Are you talking about the IPA I’m thinking of? 😮

My favorite part has got to be carbon handlebars. They absorb a lot of the small vibrations that would cause you hands to go numb. They are worth their steep price. Plus they’re super light. 😉

"dozzerboy" wrote

[quote="jtorlando25":2y5ux7kf]Most definitely my Ahrens Wisecracker bottle opener/headset spacer/post ride IPA popper.

Are you talking about the IPA I’m thinking of? 😮
      [/quote:2y5ux7kf]

Well we don’t know what IPA you’re thinking of 😉 I believe he’s referring to an India Pale Ale. 💡

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Well we don’t know what IPA you’re thinking of 😉 I believe he’s referring to an India Pale Ale. 💡

lol yeah Greg is right. not sure what other "IPA" it could have been.

IPA= Isopropyl alcohol
      😳

"dozzerboy" wrote

IPA= Isopropyl alcohol
      😳

lol, you’re too young to be thinking about an IPA. 😃

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.