What is going on with the GT brand?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with GT? I hear rumors and I am wondering what everyone else is hearing.

I hear that they are concentrating on Dicks Sporting Goods with low end bikes. And that the majority of their business is in that direction Also that they are not coming out with any new full suspension bikes until 2019 . Sounds to me like they are checked out for a few years. I am a GT fan and would hate to see this happen..IF true

A bike shop near me carried GT bikes but dropped the brand a year ago. My first bike was a low end (Dick’s quality) GT. I always thought they tried to focus on department store quality bikes and ultra high end enduro/downhill bikes with not too much in the middle ie., $1500-$3500 trail bike territory. This is just a thought but maybe they’re trying to re-invent the brand. I, too always liked GT.

Didn’t Diamondback and Mongoose basically do the same? I think the issue for a lot of manufacturers is that the high end market is pretty watered down when it comes to brands.  There are dozens of brands, each making several high end bikes.  I don’t think the market can support need or lack there of.  Your average biker can’t afford more than one high end bike and they typically hold onto them for a few years.   There are tons of bikes/brands I would love to own, but like many others, I only have the budget for one.

At the end of the day, it probably makes more financial sense for GT to focus sales on department stores since the competition isn’t as great.  A low end consumer will identify the GT brand as being tried and true and would typically choose that over a Magna or Huffy.   When it comes to high end consumers, there is so much for GT to compete against.

What about performance bikes.. do they still carry GT?

GT was big in Performance stores but when ASI bought them (Fuji, etc) they got fazed out…so now they’re at a crossroads.  They’ve always (in semi recent history) sold bikes to Dick’s and other similar stores, probably increasing their presence there to make dollars and ends meet now that Performance is gone.  But they’ve definitely invested in mountain biking as they’re at all the shows/demo events and have some cool stuff.  It’ll be interesting to see going forward what they do.

I recently purchased a GT stomper prime for my 10 year old. Highly disappointed with the quality of parts for the price of this bike. The cranks were to short, 135mm, the front gear was to small, 28 tooth, the wheels suck, and the derailer  was the cheapest on the market. So after a new wheel on the back, new derailer, cranks, and a 34 tooth gear on the front my kid can now jump speed bumps and bomb hills with confidence. Needless to say I will never purchase another GT product.

Didn’t you notice all those “defects” mentioned before swiping your card in the store? If so, you most likely had a remote idea how much would upgrade cost. I’m not defending GT here. Simply saying you’d get the same result with any low-end bike from any manufacturer.

I did. Still kick myself for it. I ordered his mainly for the frame knowing he would need better drive train. Finding a good quality ride for a 10 year old is not an easy task. He LOVES his bike and that is all that should matter. I am the one filled with disappointment. I totally could have got him something from any department store but that is not the place to purchase a bike. Luckily for me my local bike shop feels my pain and has helped me get his ride straight.

I haven’t seen a recent GT review for their bikes which gives the impression they don’t care enough about themselves to send out test bikes to reviewers. This is a shame because i have had GT’s in succession for all my adult life and am looking for a new bike. How do their bikes compare to other bikes? Have they been updated? I need information!

I just bought two 2018 GT hardtails.  My wife and I were looking for some decent hardtails to get into the sport without spending nearly a grand, and after riding Giant, specialized, Diamondback, Raleigh, And Trek; we had decided on the GT Aggressor expert. They rode better than anything else we tried and the price was extremely competitive compared to other brands.  I ordered one for each of us.  My LBS called me a couple days later to tell me that GT was out of stock for the men’s version.  Bummer.  He said its ok though, because GT offered to upgrade me to the next best bike they could, being the Avalanche Sport 29er.  $150 more than the price I had paid, just for the sake of customer satisfaction.  Were pretty happy with our bikes and they seem to be able to take anything we can throw at them. We ride some pretty aggressive trail for just starting at the end of the summer.   I know the company that bought GT usually caters to department stores, but I believe GT still builds quality bikes and they seem to have great customer service to boot.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.