What got you into riding? what do you like most about riding

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum What got you into riding? what do you like most about riding

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

For me I just started mountain biking in march and it brings back the same fun and adrenaline i’ve had when i rode atv’s when i was younger. I’m still in the woods, on trails, have logs rocks and climbs. only difference i don’t have a motor so mountain biking is a blast for me and not to mention a good workout. it’s my new favorite hobby. i love seeing new scenery and challenging terrain that elevate my riding skills. I can’t get enough mountain biking!!!

I was a winter sports adrenaline junkie (as my moniker indicates). After spending many summers complaining that I couldn’t ski, I figured I’d give the MTB thing a try–and I was instantly hooked–and now no longer look forward to winter the way I used to–the whole calendar is my playground 😃

I like the constant variety of challenge and the fact that it’s great exercise that doesn’t feel like exercise. I also love all the places I can take my bike and all the places my bike has taken me. I love that it’s something I can do alone or share with others. Outdoors, scenery, exercise, challenge, solitude or camaraderie–it’s all good!

I needed something to do after my summer classes (4 hours of Spanish was killing me.) Since I couldn’t play paintball every day (too expensive and needed others to play) I grabbed my bike and headed to a nearby ski hill to ride their singletrack trails to burn off some steam. I’ve been hooked ever since.

Like skibum said, it’s exercise without feeling like exercise, has brought me to tons of cool places, met tons of cool people, and it allows me to eat pretty much whatever I want 😄

I also like that it can be tailored to what you’re in the mood for at the time. Long, lung-busting workouts, technical challenges, downhill bombing, none of the above or any combination. It’s awesome!

I was so fat that I felt like a slug and knew that I needed to do something. On my ride home from work one day I happened to catch a glimpse of some mountain bikers riding some singletrack near my work. I thought "damn, that’d be fun." Then I found this website and found out about all the great trails in my area and went out and bought a bike completely on a whim. That first trail ride was the biggest life changing moment I’ve yet to experience.

"jtorlando25" wrote

I was so fat that I felt like a slug and knew that I needed to do something. On my ride home from work one day I happened to catch a glimpse of some mountain bikers riding some singletrack near my work. I thought "damn, that’d be fun." Then I found this website and found out about all the great trails in my area and went out and bought a bike completely on a whim. That first trail ride was the biggest life changing moment I’ve yet to experience.

Best quote I’ve ever seen on this website. Kudos to you, man!

I used to tool around in the woods on my POS bike on occasion, and as I got older, it just started happening more. Then some dude told me about Singletracks.com, and years later…

At 46, jogging all of a sudden bothered my knees and ankles. Started gaining weight and I had to come up with something. Mountain biking seemed like the ticket. I remember telling the guy at the bike shop that I was just going to ride Forest Service roads and rails to trails. One ride behind the house in the national forest changed that real quick. Going up, I thought I was going to die. Coming down I was absolutely hooked for life (I hope). 😃

The thing I like most about mountain biking is the ability to traverse so many miles and so much country in one ride. Its incredible. Much of my life revolves around trails and friends I have met on them. I also have met quite a few friends on forums.

The thing I like most about mountain biking is the ability to traverse so many miles and so much country in one ride. Its incredible.

+1. That’s one of the things that I love the most too! Can cover so much more territory than hiking or trail running.

Fifty dollar bike from the swap meet

when stationed in Germany there were a few people that had mt bikes. Thought they would be fun. When I got out I got myself a car, skis and a few months later a bike. After 21 years of riding I never looked back. The best thing that happened with mt biking for me was this summer my wife decided to give it a try. Now it is turning into a wonderful family activity.

yeah, good idea, The best thing that happened with mt biking for me was this summer my wife decided to give it a try. Now it is turning into a wonderful family activity.Image

My wife and I were strictly road riders. On a whim we bought two of the "new style" mountain bikes to try out. That was 1989. Those bikes opened up a whole new world to us as we started to locate trails and gravel routes near our community. That initial excitement expanded during the ensuing years as we branched out to ride in other states and became involved in trail building and advocacy. We still ride mostly on the road but look forward to every opportunity to experience a new trail close to home or in an exotic location.

Top Ten reason I got into MTB and stayed in it…..

10. Turned 40 and needed other avenues of exercise other than running and the gym.
      9. It is awesome!
      8. Something I can do with wife and three kids.
      7. It rocks!
      6. Live within 5 miles of the highest rated trails in GA (Blankets Creek), according to ST.
      5. It is mental therapy.
      4. I love being outdoors and being challenged.
      3. It keeps the lb’s off. (dropped 15lb’s when I started)
      2. I meet great people on the trails.
      1. It is extremely addictive and I love it!!!

I never thought I would be doing a dual-athlon on my 40 birthday and then doing a 50 mile XC races by the end of the year. Next year, I can wait to push myself even more. I love new trails and new sites.

When I was a kid I lived in an area with a lot of trails and my friends and I all had BMX bikes. I always loved riding trails and when somebody gave me a Schwinn High Plains mountain bike in the mid 90s I rediscovered that love of trail riding I had as a kid. I quickly moved up to a full suspension bike, promptly got out of riding and then re-rediscovered it in 2010. Now it’s pretty much all I think about. I think the things I like most about riding include, just being outdoors, enjoying the great scenery, the exercise & challenge, even though it doesn’t seem like exercise, and that when I’m riding, everything else goes out the window – I’m concentrating on that section of trail I’m riding and not much more.

My wife and I took a vacation to Winter Park, Colorado the first week of July, and couldn’t stop watching the kids in the skate park, and the downhill riders in the resort. We never rode that trip, but the bug had bitten us both, and we came home looking for bikes. After our first single-track (an intermediate ~4 mile local), there was no question we were hooked, even if we had to take numerous breaks. We’re still building muscle and endurance (been pretty sedentary the last few years), but neither of us is happy with our world if we haven’t had a recent ride.
      Having been parked at a desk driving a keyboard for a living, just getting back outdoors is awesome. The challenge of getting back in shape is tempered by the thrill of riding in the woods, and looking forward to the day I’m as good as some of those passing me. We haven’t worn the new off it yet, so it’s all great and difficult to pick out one "best" part. We’ve had a couple falls, some bruises, chainring tracks, and sprains, but nothing that kept us from riding out, or wanting to go back for more.

"berryjw" wrote

My wife and I took a vacation to Winter Park, Colorado the first week of July, and couldn’t stop watching the kids in the skate park, and the downhill riders in the resort. We never rode that trip, but the bug had bitten us both, and we came home looking for bikes. After our first single-track (an intermediate ~4 mile local), there was no question we were hooked, even if we had to take numerous breaks. We’re still building muscle and endurance (been pretty sedentary the last few years), but neither of us is happy with our world if we haven’t had a recent ride.
      Having been parked at a desk driving a keyboard for a living, just getting back outdoors is awesome. The challenge of getting back in shape is tempered by the thrill of riding in the woods, and looking forward to the day I’m as good as some of those passing me. We haven’t worn the new off it yet, so it’s all great and difficult to pick out one "best" part. We’ve had a couple falls, some bruises, chainring tracks, and sprains, but nothing that kept us from riding out, or wanting to go back for more.

Awesome story man!! Welcome to the website!

You’ll laugh, but I saw that video "If Only All MTB Videos Were This Good", bought a bike that week and have ridden nearly everyday since. About 6 months ago, and with the help of Singletrack I have ridden more great trails already then I even knew exsisted. First trail I found through this site was Buffalo Creek- wow what a start!

I rode a road bike most of my life till at 42 I saw a girl ripp by on a tech trail I was hiking with a friend. He bougt a bike soon after and the second I tried it and was so amazed at how much more stable it was compaired to a road bike I bought one the next week. Now I ride a Turner, the greatest toy I’ve ever owned, even better than my skis in some ways.

"Gdb49" wrote

You’ll laugh, but I saw that video "If Only All MTB Videos Were This Good", bought a bike that week and have ridden nearly everyday since. About 6 months ago, and with the help of Singletrack I have ridden more great trails already then I even knew exsisted. First trail I found through this site was Buffalo Creek- wow what a start!

i know the video its pretty sweet

Riding for me began when I had turned the corner into my 40’s and began having aches and pains while trail running. A visit to the Dr. confirmed that yes the aches and pains were due to years and mileage on the knees and feet. He suggested biking (I think he actually meant on the road) so I bought an entry level aluminum frame 26er and hit the trails. I had often watched the bikers go by on the trails and thought they were crazy but it sure looked like fun.

I was hooked from the first few yards.

It is hard to say what I like most about mtb-ing. I think it would have to be that when I ride I lose myself in the ride. I am so inside the bike and the motion and the physical experience of riding the trail and the motion of the wheels and the challenges of the trails that I shut out the outside world. My brain goes on auto pilot as far as the world is concerned. Its just me and the bike.

When I was a kid we would ride in the woods on these crazy single speed – garage sale frame bikes with coaster brakes and banana seats with sissy bars. Playing cards taped to the spokes we would build ramps and jumps and brake the welds on the frames and brake wrists and get crazy bruises and who cared about helmets back then?

I kinda feel like that now when I ride, free and easy but I do wear a helmet.

I moved to Germany for work and didn’t have my normal means of transportation. Public transportation in Berlin was great, but I wanted to be able to cover more ground around the city while out on adventures. I picked up a mountain bike from a local shop and ended up shipping it back stateside when the project was complete.

I rode around little paved trails and things a bit and only recently linked up with some car buddies of mine and hit some local single track. Holy crap did that one day put the bug in me. I’ve made it a point to get at least 15-25 miles in a week, with the hopes and goal of doing more on a regular basis come next year.

I like being able to cover a lot of ground quickly, work up a good sweat, feel better (health wise), look better, and hone my 2 wheel abilities for motorcycling. I also found this site and have tried to add as much content as I can through logging GPS trail data and taking more photos once I’ve logged all I can in the area.

I enjoy being out on the trail. Be it by myself or with friends, it is a great way to relax and unwind and just concentrate on one thing; get around the next corner, over the next hill, across the next stream, and hopefully drop my times on my favorite routes.

I was bored one day and since I live so close to a trail system, I brought my moms hybrid with slick tires out there just to ride around. Couple months later I’ve been through a couple bikes and go every other day.

"jamis29er" wrote

Riding for me began when I had turned the corner into my 40’s and began having aches and pains while trail running.

When I was a kid we would ride in the woods on these crazy single speed – garage sale frame bikes with coaster brakes and banana seats with sissy bars. Playing cards taped to the spokes

I kinda feel like that now when I ride, free and easy but I do wear a helmet.

Sounds kind of familiar 😆

Back in the mid 80’s I started this new (to my area) fangled thing called mtn biking to cross train for motocross as a teenager…years later I’d break my neck on the job (2001-but hey,I worked until I was forced out of "gainful employment" in 2008) and had to give up dirt biking,but I’ll mtn bike until they pry the bars out of my cold dead hands 😃

IDK how to put into words why I enjoy it so much…I just do,LOL 😀

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.