What fork should I up grade with?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum What fork should I up grade with?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Hey everyone!!! My name is Danny and I been riding trails off and on for 2-3 years now. I looking to upgrade my front forks on my Mongoose mdx 26" mountian bike. I keep bottoming it out when I jump a Jump or hit a root pretty hard. Not wanting to spend a lot of money but would like something a little better than what came on the Bike. I got the Bike from Walmart about 5 years ago. I not racing it just want a good ride to burn up some trails on the weekend!!!
      Any info would help!!!
      P.S. I’m new to the Forum TOO. 😀

Does your bike have a threadless or threaded headset?

I too had a old mongoose mtb, and thought about upgrading parts on it – the response I ALWAYS got was to not bother and put the $$ towards a better bike instead. After months of watching Craigslist and riding my old beater I finally came upon a great deal, and now have an awesome FS bike for just over $300. The difference is night and day. I would strongly recommend this approach!! (I actually got the bike from someone I met on a trail, not Craigslist – put the word out that you are looking!)

"maddslacker" wrote

Does your bike have a threadless or threaded headset?

I dont know for sure. How would I find that out?

"dallan1" wrote

I too had a old mongoose mtb, and thought about upgrading parts on it – the response I ALWAYS got was to not bother and put the $$ towards a better bike instead. After months of watching Craigslist and riding my old beater I finally came upon a great deal, and now have an awesome FS bike for just over $300. The difference is night and day. I would strongly recommend this approach!! (I actually got the bike from someone I met on a trail, not Craigslist – put the word out that you are looking!)

I looking at getting a better bike Just dont know what to get. I ride most single track trails and do some jumping when I can.
      Thanks Danny mdx

I would look at the Trek 4300. I started on one and it is a great bike. I still have it and ride it as much as my 29 Felt. It is a solid bike and withstand a beating. I put my through alot and it kept going with no problems. You can look on Craigs List, sometimes you can get a deal.

"dallan1" wrote

I too had a old mongoose mtb, and thought about upgrading parts on it – the response I ALWAYS got was to not bother and put the $$ towards a better bike instead. …

i’ll second that.

or look for a used fork on craigs/ebay/pinkbike/local forums until you figure out what you want. keep an eye on bikes too, you’ll get a good idea from what riding style you develop towards as to what kind of set-up to save for.

"Redpeachpackbait" wrote

[quote="maddslacker":3tu7cnz2]Does your bike have a threadless or threaded headset?

I dont know for sure. How would I find that out?[/quote:3tu7cnz2]

yeah, that’s a good question maddslacker.

old school threaded headsets have a locknut on top of the headset that screws into the threaded steerer to apply pressure to the headset, at least i think. i didn’t know they still made these (head in the clouds smiley).

threadless you have a top cap that screws into the steerer core. it’s sole purpose is to apply pressure to the stem/spacers onto the headset until you tighten the stem to the steerer.

i don’t think you will find a threaded suspension fork. at least i’ve never seen one.

thanks for the info. helps a lot!!!!! Now I got to either find a real good deal on a used bike or buy a good fork to upgrade with!!!

There are some really nice deals on craiglist. I was looking before I bought new. I saw quality bikes ranging from 300 bucks to 900, and I am talking about canondales, specs, treks and GTs. I live in CO so it could be where you live too.
      Good quality forks may be the same price as a used quality bike from someone trying to get rid of one.

you should most definetly hit up craigslist…..for the price of just a fork you can get a real good bike, just research what you want ex. trek, cannondale, specialized…..and hardtail or full suspension….ah the joys of craigslist!!!! GOOD LUCK!

also, fyi, the only other reason i say upgrade is because you want to make sure you are building up a trail worthy frame…..a bad frame can be a painful experience…..you need a bike that can pro-gress with you and your riding styles….just saying…..

Gonna piggy back on your post RPPB… How noticeable is a fork upgrade anyway? My 29er came stock with a Suntour xcr and people always comment on how basic of a shock that is, and how I should upgrade it when I can. I’m trying to make small, cheap, marginal improvements due to grad school budget, but if the improvement in performance is as big as the 500 bucks i’d pay for a new front shock it might be worth it to save up and get one. Just hit me with some cost vs. benefit here. (Man this community is so helpful!)

Kentucky Roush 😎

personally i found a Fox 32 fit 29er fork like new 80mm travel like stock take off $785 msrp…….paid 250 in the box, flawless…..hehe….craigslist is my best friend……

as far as a difference, i had the xcr, nothing wrong with it other than spring driven…..the fox air fork soaks up rock gardens like nothing with minimal feedback thru the bars…..as they say "like butter"…..makes a rough ride much smoother which in turn means higher speeds normally without any abuse……im running this fork on a rockhopper 29er comp….fyi….only hardtail i have…..

I am currently riding on Rock Shox Reba’s which have dual air chambers, they are doing really nice over rocky terrain. These are probably a little cheaper than Fox forks if you are looking for cheaper. Here is the link for the review;
      http://www.singletracks.com/mtbreviews/ … e/237.html

Viewing 13 reply threads