What bike is better

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, Can anyone tell me which of these bikes is best for me. I ride 2-3 times a week. I want a hard tail light bike that performs. I ride dirt track and trail and want the best bang for the buck.

Choices 1) Gary fisher E koo ne koo
      2) Giant ( forget the model) 2009 black white and red frame
      I was told it was the parallel bike to the fisher
      3) Rocky Mountain trail Head. This bike is cheeper at
      on sale 2009 $900.00

Whick is the best bike? Thanks

if it was me, id say the Giant, i once had a 2008 Gary fisher X-Caliber.. not impressed.. i had lots and lots of problems with it. i maintained it and everything. just problem after problem. but i got rid of it and got the 69er. love it. i dont know to much about the Rocky Mountain, but from what i understand Giant is a good bike.

I have a 09′ Hoo Koo E Koo and it handles awesome. Rode a Giant similar in comparison and it didn’t handle half as well. Frame is very sturdy and i haven’t had any problems. It’s been upgraded quite a bit since i got it. IMO i would buy the Fisher. G2 geometry is awesome.

I have an 09 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I absolutely love it. The HKEK has the platinum series frame Vs. my Wahoo which is the gold series (I’m really not to sure what the difference is, weight maybe?) and it handles like a dream. I’ve upgraded my Wahoo quite a bit with the fork from the Tassajara, Avid BB7’s, etc. I would say you’d be very happy with the HKEK. I would definately recommend a Gary Fisher.

I’ve heard Giant bikes are also good, I’ve never ridden one though. If you are shopping at the same bike shop my tendency would be to go with the HKEK, if you’re shopping at different bike stores than I would say you go with the one who you feel you will get better service from. Your LBS can make all the difference regardless of which frame you choose.

^x2.

Ride them all (and others) on a trail. Pick whichever one feel right/fun.

Thanks for all your input. I think I’ll either go with the fisher or the giant. 1 last question although. Proper fit, can anyone give me some rules of thumb? such as arm position, crossbar clearance. I’m 5′ 10" 180 LBS. right now I’m riding a 19" GF Wahoo 5 years old and its comfortable but huge.

Again, this is kind of a personal preference thing, and the style of riding you do.

I’m 5’8", 160 lbs, with a 30" inseam. I ride a 15" frame for dirt jumping, 17" frame for All Mtn/FR type stuff. I like a shorter, more upright cockpit for quicker handling and good centering of the weight.

18"-19" frame sounds like it should be about right for you in terms of top tube and seat tube length for general riding. You can always tune the remaining dimensions by shortening the stem, increasing the handlebar rise, and floating the saddle offset a bit.

For me, comfort and handling are my two top priorities, as I like to ride for 1+ hours, several times a week on tight, techy, fast singletrack.

Check out this article:

[url:3hgq0zii]http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-training/how-to-fit-yourself-on-a-mountain-bike-like-a-pro/[/url:3hgq0zii]

Also your LBS should be able to provide options for fit. I know when I bought my Wahoo I tried maybe 4-5 different bikes in both medium and large frames. Each one fit a little different. the sales guy I was working with at my LBS swapped the stems out for me and also helped me find the right adjustments to get the bikes to fit just right. I thought my wife was going to go crazy because we were buying her a bike at the same time and she is not as paticular as I am. Take your time and get to know each one.

I imagine most shops will accomodate you by offering to change parts out if you want a more custom fit.

For sure a personal preference thing. But just because it feel comfortable doesn’t mean its going to perform well. For instance I had a frame that was comfortable but everytime I would try to go up hills my front end would always pop up and it just didn’t keep a good hold.

Also, ask your LBS if they have a 30 day policy. Mine out here is 30 days or less you can take your bike back and swap it out for a bigger or smaller size. So take it out for a spin on all kinds of trails in them 30 days. If your not satisfied swap it out.

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="The_Germ":s0qrtc31]For sure a personal preference thing. But just because it feel comfortable doesn’t mean its going to perform well. For instance I had a frame that was comfortable but everytime I would try to go up hills my front end would always pop up and it just didn’t keep a good hold.

That has nothing to do with performance of a bike dude, that has to do with riding skill. 😉 [/quote:s0qrtc31]

Zing!

Thanks all for your input. Going to the Toronto bike show tonight to look for a new ride. Done my research, have a list. Specialized is in the mix now aswell as Rocky mountain (Looks pricey). Hopefully I find a good fit and a great deal.

I will be attending the Toronto show Saturday..

Noted ChiliPepper… guess i have to tone down the amount of MAN i put in to riding. 😎

Semper Fi, ChiliPepper 😀 Just the way Leathernecks roll..

Went to the bike show on Fri night. Got a Specialized rock hopper pro disc. Love it. Takes a little getting used to a bike that fits right. Got the bike from Gears bikes located in Port Credit. They cut me a great deal and I was impressed with their set up.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.