Weird question regarding overseas travel…..

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

In October I will be meeting my wife in Garmisch, Germany for 2 weeks.
      She will be taking her R&R while deployed to Afghanistan so we picked a cool area that was easy for both of us to get to.
      We are staying at the military resort there and they have an equipment rental place where we plan to score mt. bikes for the time we are there. We hoped to avoid renting a car the whole time and try and get around/explore on bikes as much as possibe.
      So, the question (finally)….would you takes mtb shoes and pedals to install on the rental bikes since we will be there for a couple weeks or just deal with it and wear the tennis shoes? One point worth probably mentioning is I’m using the Shimano pedals that are SPDs on one side and trad cages on the other….so for a quick spin out to lunch I could cruise in my Birks and use the "flipside" for longer rides in real shoes.
      Sound crazy….too much hassle?

Nate

I would take them. The worse case is you cannot switch them out and they stay in your room.

If you were there a few weeks earlier I would recommend a trip to munich for Octoberfest 9/19 thru 10/4. Also have a dunkel weissen for me.

On a personal note, please give your wife a heart felt thank you for serving in the military and protecting us.

Thanks for the advice….I was lucky enough to experience Octoberfest in Munich several years ago. What a blast….thousands of buzzed Germans singing John Denver songs as loud as they could…..priceless!!

Shipping an entire bike is like traveling with your golf clubs…it’s just ass pain. Maybe having part of my bike will make it feel like my bike back home….we’ll see.

Thanks…

nate

I have to agree with Octoberfest, I was there in 1990 when I was stationed in West Germany. Oh wait they’re unified now.

Maybe a nearby village/town will be having a festival. The small local festivals. The ones I went to were just as fun but on a smaller scale.

Me personally, and the numerous other mountain bikers I have seen coming and going through DIA, packing helmet, shoes and pedals seems to be the norm.

i ride with platforms already but with some fiveten DH shoes so that’s what i would do…..just take the shoes to where with platforms.

I would make sure to take my bike shorts for though. That’s always a given for me.

Not to get too far off topic but:

I don’t know if you’ve been to Garmish before, but it is a REALLY nice place. Especially when compared to some of the other military "resorts" spread throughout the world. You will enjoy youselves there. BTW, should you crave some American food, there is a Pizza Hut in town there.

"Bigred15" wrote

Not to get too far off topic but:

I don’t know if you’ve been to Garmish before, but it is a REALLY nice place. Especially when compared to some of the other military "resorts" spread throughout the world. You will enjoy youselves there. BTW, should you crave some American food, there is a Pizza Hut in town there.

Thanks for the pos. feedback on Germany. We are really excited about our visit. Wishing the kids could join us but they can’t miss two weeks of school/soccer. I’m hoping this trip is the fuel that starts my wife thinking about an overseas assgnment. We have been stateside her entire career and I feel like we are missing a golden opportunity.
      I’m sure the folks at Edelwiess can recommend places to ride but do you have any recommendations for me?

Might need the pizza fix one night…good to know there is a little Americana close by. To be honest, we are both fired up to have local cuisine and also some indian food which we sorely miss….read a few reviews on TripAdvisor about a couple indian food places we might try.

Thanks again…

Nate

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.