Weight vs Training vs Racing

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Weight vs Training vs Racing

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I’m thinking about getting into some XC racing next year, specifically the 24 hours of Moab, and a series in Breckenridge that I’m possibly entering my daughter into the kids section of.

Anyway…

I got my thrice-daily sale email from Jenson USA and noticed a DT Swiss wheelset on sale that has a combined weight of 1800 grams. (great price too)

So I looked up my current WTB Dual Duty FR rims and crapped myself when I discovered that they add up to a whopping 2,585 grams!!! 😮

Also, my current WTB Velociraptor Comp tires weigh in at 1,590 grams for the pair, and I run TrueGoo self-sealing tubes which aren’t terribly heavy, but noticeably heavier than a Bontrager tube that I carry for a spare.

The current setup is strong and durable and gives me no issues whatsoever regardless of the terrain I abuse it on. For racing though, I would want to shed some of that, almost all of which is rotating weight.

Here’s what I’m thinking.

Run the current Dual Duty / Velociraptor Comp setup for "training" rides, i.e. any ride that isn’t a race.

Then get something like the DT Swiss wheels and Velociraptor Race tires for Colorado racing, which would shave off 974 total grams, or 2.15 lbs for us Americans.

For Moab I could also run WTB Nanoraptors for a total weight savings of 1,294 grams, or 2.85 lbs. (Probably 3 lbs even if I also swap out the self-sealing tubes)

So my question is, does that training vs racing setup make sense, and does anyone else do anything like this?

I guess my question would be, As a first year "getting into some XC racing" season is it really worth it for you to spend that kind of dough on 2-3 lbs? I get it that every little bit helps, but that sounds like a pretty "professional" look at what sounds like a fresh career.

If it were me I’d leave her as she is since it’s worked well for you in the past and if you have trouble then make the change when you need to replace parts.

Just my 2cp.

I should clarify that I may buy the rims anyway due to the great sale price. Since I already have the heavier stuff, which I would still use for trails like Monarch Crest and Kokopelli’s where a wheel failure would be a real pain, should I also use the heavier stuff for training in order to get more bang for my training buck, so to speak…

as a former roadie and high school athlete when we would train for events we would use heavier equipment ( i was a roller speed skater ) only when it came to race days did we switch to our lighter gear and it dramatically improved are speed. also in high school we would do sprints with small parachutes to add resistance . on my road bike i ran heavier rims and tires for training and switched to the light wieght wheelsets only on days i planned to race . i only raced buddies and did time trials so i was never really a "racer" . all being said i believe there are advantages to be gained by training heavy and competeing light. just my opinion

"bigguarddaddy" wrote

( i was a roller speed skater )

WHOA dating yourself there huh? 😆 just giving you a hard time

you betcha… skated long before them newfangled in-line thingamajigies!! 😆

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.