Weight loss success !

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author

Well I started riding my bike in July after a ten year layoff during that time my wife an I had two kids so it was hard to do much of anything. since July I’ve lost 45 lbs ! 😮 And I just wanted to say that this site has inspired me to ride every day and live a healthier lifestyle.

That’s great. Welcome aboard and keep up the great work.

Awesome work man!! How’s the riding out where you are?

Thanks guys,
      hey Eastwood riding is good out here lots of woods.
      By the way I was born and raised in southie I’ve been in the
      worcester area for About ten years.

45 pounds is amazing. To me that is the ultimate and safer way to lose weiight nice and steady. CONGRATS!!!

congratulations man! YOU’RE an inspiration to us all!

Congrats on the weight loss. I got into biking for just that reason and it grew into a passion. I was planning on writing a weight loss book. The title is "Shut Up and Sweat" (registered). It will be 500 pages and on each page it will say refer to title.[/img]

Great job! I also started to get more serious about mountain biking this summer. My weight has always fluctuated 10-15 pounds or so but after a bad car accident last November I was unable to work for about a month and couldn’t work out like I used to due to back and shoulder pain. With this said I chunked up to 213 pounds (I am 5’10" and a half). After I started feeling better and summer came around I got a new bike and hit the trails. I am now down to 180 and have been so for about four months now. I have more energy then I have had in a long time and really want to stick with this and a better diet. Plus it’s fun as hell!!

Hey puck. Now thats some serious weight loss. Congratulations.

Funny AABiking – shut up and sweat. MTB motto? Probably a chapter in there for us VA boys with: climb Stoney Run, downhill, repeat as needed. 😆 Sort of like directions on a shampoo bottle.

It is cool. Seems like many of us got into MTBing for weight loss, and then like AA said it becomes an obsession. (At least according to my girlfriend it is haha). I think I lost 30-35 lbs my first year of riding, but 10 or so has mysteriously found its way back on. Need to ride more I guess.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

It is cool. Seems like many of us got into MTBing for weight loss, and then like AA said it becomes an obsession. (At least according to my girlfriend it is haha). I think I lost 30-35 lbs my first year of riding, but 10 or so has mysteriously found its way back on. Need to ride more I guess.

CCR, you’re not snacking on the trails are you? 😀

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="CraigCreekRider":3babpq24]
      I think I lost 30-35 lbs my first year of riding, but 10 or so has mysteriously found its way back on. Need to ride more I guess.

CCR, you’re not snacking on the trails are you? 😀[/quote:3babpq24]

Those trails are quite tasty 😆
      Umm. Most likely post ride hi-carb liquid refreshments are the culprit.

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="CraigCreekRider":1ccwmnoq]

CCR, you’re not snacking on the trails are you? 😀[/quote:1ccwmnoq]

you gotta fuel man!

when i started riding i lost 20 lbs. but then after about four months of riding i added about 15 lbs back. but i did not increase any size in the gut or waist line (i dropped a pants size from the weight loss). but my upper legs got HUGE. To me when i look in the mirror i look outta proportion. My legs dont match the size of my upper body, they just look like they go on a bigger person. its funny to me.

That’s a great achievement for all of ya’ll who lose weight due to biking. I haven’t lost a pound in years, regardless of the amount of biking I do. But that’s alright with me I’m good at 6’1" and 175lbs.

Hey CC. I have gained about eight pounds back from my lowest weight. My problem is that since I got down to the weight I wanted I felt like I could start eating a little more and would maintain my weight with all the riding I do. Well that just led to me eating a little more each meal until I notice that i’m gaining then I cut back and lose it again. Then the darned holidays come up and riding slows and theres your ten pounds. Thats me anyways.

I didn’t know the word repeat could be spoken at Douthat.

45 pounds is amazing, keep it up!

Hey guys i’m back from my winter hiatus. I’m ready for some riding! This weekend is gonna be nice here. I managed to drop another 30 lbs over the winter for a total of 75lbs since last July. I did the p90x program and rode my stationary bike to keep in shape. I should have a lot more stamina this year for some longer more challenging rides. 😃

"puck4877" wrote

Hey guys i’m back from my winter hiatus. I’m ready for some riding! This weekend is gonna be nice here. I managed to drop another 30 lbs over the winter for a total of 75lbs since last July. I did the p90x program and rode my stationary bike to keep in shape. I should have a lot more stamina this year for some longer more challenging rides. 😃

Congratulations dude, that is an awesome achievement!

"puck4877" wrote

nice puck! i did p90x about 6 months ago and went from 188 to 153. p90x is the truth!

At 6’1" and 220 if I lost weight I’d be depressed! After 7 years of weight lifting I sometimes feel I could lift a car. Got (back) into biking because a simple jog across the yard left me gasping for air! Finally realized I wasn’t in good shape regardless of the outer appearance. Besides bikes are a lot more fun than barbells 😃 Congrats on 75 lbs since July. That’s amazing!!

[quote= Congrats on 75 lbs since July. That’s amazing!![/quote]

Thanks man it was a lot of work but well worth it. I’m 5’10" and I was 265! I still would like to lose another 5 or 10 lbs and add some muscle.

"sevendaysoff" wrote

[quote="puck4877":3e0gkmhv]Hey guys i’m back from my winter hiatus. I’m ready for some riding! This weekend is gonna be nice here. I managed to drop another 30 lbs over the winter for a total of 75lbs since last July. I did the p90x program and rode my stationary bike to keep in shape. I should have a lot more stamina this year for some longer more challenging rides. 😃

nice puck! i did p90x about 6 months ago and went from 188 to 153. p90x is the truth![/quote:3e0gkmhv]

Tony Horton is the man! p90x is easily the hardest thing I ever put myself through. he makes it easy to keep going though.My wife and kids aside p90x is the best thing I’ve ever done for my self .That and buying my trek of course. 😃

"puck4877" wrote

[quote="sevendaysoff":22lzxuw1][quote="puck4877":22lzxuw1]Hey guys i’m back from my winter hiatus. I’m ready for some riding! This weekend is gonna be nice here. I managed to drop another 30 lbs over the winter for a total of 75lbs since last July. I did the p90x program and rode my stationary bike to keep in shape. I should have a lot more stamina this year for some longer more challenging rides. 😃

nice puck! i did p90x about 6 months ago and went from 188 to 153. p90x is the truth![/quote:22lzxuw1]

Tony Horton is the man! p90x is easily the hardest thing I ever put myself through. he makes it easy to keep going though.My wife and kids aside p90x is the best thing I’ve ever done for my self .That and buying my trek of course. 😃[/quote:22lzxuw1]

I’ve heard so many good things about that program! My brother in law is in like week 3, and has lost over 15 pounds and is in pretty stinking good shape already.

Of course, I don’t have 15 pounds to lose. But I know many of my muscle groups are in pretty pathetic shape.

Wow that’s amazing dude!

"Goo" wrote

I’ve heard so many good things about that program! My brother in law is in like week 3, and has lost over 15 pounds and is in pretty stinking good shape already.

Of course, I don’t have 15 pounds to lose. But I know many of my muscle groups are in pretty pathetic shape.

Goo,
      I’ve always been athletic but never really built up. At 5’11 , 188 isnt really overweight, or I at least felt like my weight never held me back from anything. Before I started MTBing this year I have always been an avid and talented surfer, I’ve also been jogging avidly since I was 15 (at least 6 miles a week). I started p90x last year in october and couldnt believe I could even loose that much weight. I wouldnt say that I’m ripped up, but 35lb’s really helped chisel my physique. I look better than ever thanks to p90x. p90x really is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself besides getting married/having my son.

if you got time you should try it. you wont believe how strong you will get. I went from being able to do MAYBE 5 pull-up’s to 20 – 30 EASILY in one rep… in 3 MONTHS! You have to stick with it and be strict with your diet though, the p90x diet is a big part of the program. I can honestly say I only cheated 1 time at a Jaguars football game (had 3 soft tacos, and felt like crap for cheating!) The food is actually good. We cook many of the meals (island tenderloin pork, honey chipolte chicken, etc.) still weekly even after p90x. the turkey urger recipe is kickass too.

"sevendaysoff" wrote

[quote="Goo":xlirzydr]

Goo,
      I’ve always been athletic but never really built up. At 5’11 , 188 isnt really overweight, or I at least felt like my weight never held me back from anything. Before I started MTBing this year I have always been an avid and talented surfer, I’ve also been jogging avidly since I was 15 (at least 6 miles a week). I started p90x last year in october and couldnt believe I could even loose that much weight. I wouldnt say that I’m ripped up, but 35lb’s really helped chisel my physique. I look better than ever thanks to p90x. p90x really is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself besides getting married/having my son.

if you got time you should try it. you wont believe how strong you will get. I went from being able to do MAYBE 5 pull-up’s to 20 – 30 EASILY in one rep… in 3 MONTHS! You have to stick with it and be strict with your diet though, the p90x diet is a big part of the program. I can honestly say I only cheated 1 time at a Jaguars football game (had 3 soft tacos, and felt like crap for cheating!) The food is actually good. We cook many of the meals (island tenderloin pork, honey chipolte chicken, etc.) still weekly even after p90x. the turkey urger recipe is kickass too.[/quote:xlirzydr]

I will definitely look into it, maybe as a winter training regimen. Thanks for the advice!

I’m 6′ 0" and now weigh 202. I was at 230 lbs and was not very healthy last year, up to about 4-5 months ago.

If your job ever requires you to work the dredded graveyard shift, do whatever you can do to [i:2r2y7kde]NOT[/i:2r2y7kde] work that shift! I did it for 1 year and 8 months and had enough, and was ready to quit. I never saw my wife, kids, friends, family, etc… They all worked days, I worked nights. 😢

Anyway, when you think about it, it is not healthy for your body. Your "circadian rythym" gets messed up (the body’s natural time-clock, that tells you when to sleep, when to wake up, etc..) and you can’t eat right and get exercise like you did before. I ballooned up to 230 lbs and finally took action to get myself back to being a "human being" again. 😉

Put in a request to be reassigned to the day shift.
      Cut out junk food.
      Talked to my sister (a nurse) about my health and nutrition.
      Cut out sugar (i.e. switch to Equal, Splenda) in my coffee.
      Go for walks at first, then slowly get into jogging.
      Go bike riding on days you don’t go jogging.

I have lost a total of 28 pounds so far and feel great at 49 years old. My wife, kids, friends and family see a difference and see how happier I am. Losing weight can be done. You just have to do it and put your mind to it.

Let me start off by saying congrats to all the guys who have lost weight and the ones in the process. I myself am a little over weight (you be the judge) 😃 , I’m 5’8 at 235#’s but i dont look sloppy and thats due to the fact that I’ve lifted heavy for a long time and now I just want to tone up but it’s hard for me not to lift heavy cause I’m so used to it. So this week I started riding my GF advanced rigid to work (it’s like a 10-11 yr. old bike but rides great). For those of you in Colorado springs I live close to N.Academy / Maizeland and I work on 20th & Colorado ave. which is like 8-9 miles oneway. It’s been taking me me 45-50 minutes to get to work and home which I think is great time for me considering I’ve never commuted on a bike before. I got multiple reasons for riding to work but the top 2 are weight loss and to build endurance for longer rides on the trails. Went for a ride sunday and found my self huffin’ and puffin’ 😛 Plus I want to be able to keep up with my son when he starts riding…

Good Luck to All…

Viewing 27 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.