Weekly Weigh In

Viewing 72 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys, there’s been a some discussion today about losing weight and getting in shape for the spring riding season. I personally started tracking my caloric intake and burn towards the end of 2011 and have set up a personal goal.

I thought that it might add a little accountability and a little extra motivation if we all stated our goals and then posted our weight every week here to this thread.

If you don’t want to participate in this thread, that’s totally cool. If you only want to post certain information, that’s totally fine: Only post whatever information you feel comfortable sharing, we don’t want to try to make anyone feel bad here! 😀 So please, if you are responding and trying to give helpful insight, please just keep things positive!

For more information on getting in shape and losing weight, be sure to check out maddslacker’s blog post here: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr … in-biking/

My goal:

I was 176 after the end of the holidays, one week into Jan. My goal is to drop to 160 while increasing my power output on the bike and toning my upper body and core. I’m not sure if this is a reasonable goal or not, so I might be satisfied with stopping at 163 or 165.

My most recent weigh-in was on Friday, and I weighed in at 172 pounds. So 4 down, 12 to go!

2/6/2012 – 200 😢

I’ve been holding steady at 180 for a couple months. Time for a change.

The goal: 165lbs, by the end March ideally. Not too concerned with the timeline, but that is sticking to the 2lbs/week madd mentioned in his article.

The change to get there: Eat better. I don’t eat a ton as is, but I do eat a lot of junk food I shouldn’t. And obviously, ride as much as possible. Good luck everyone!

Most recent weigh in was at 172 but I am looking to hit 180 by the end of March. Who’s with me? 😃

All you skinny guys are bumming me out. 😕

Hard to say how skinny or fat someone is without their height ;) I’m just saying, I’m not very tall.

Neither am I

I am about 6’2"

This time last year I was around 210-215, now 196. Was down to 192 ’til the holidays. Keep in mind weight is one thing, I prefer to look at waist measurements. Muscle is more dense than fat.

Most of my weight loss was after I started running again.

Body fat monitors are the best thing going. Losing the right weight is what counts and that’s the easiest way to get an accurate measurement of what’s coming off.

Sorry to jump in right at the end here, just wanted to say body fat monitors are not a very good way to measure progress, unless you spend a fortune on one. The results can be HEAVILY skewed based on how hydrated you are, or dehydrated. And since it’s hard to be a consistent hydration, I would measure inches lost and total body weight. 😃

In reply to losing the right weight, I’m personally trying to decrease my caloric intake relative my exercise while increasing my exercise and the types of exercise I’m doing. IE, I’m trying to get more well-rounded by working other muscle groups than just the MTB muscles.

"Dahamp2003" wrote

Sorry to jump in right at the end here, just wanted to say body fat monitors are not a very good way to measure progress, unless you spend a fortune on one. The results can be HEAVILY skewed based on how hydrated you are, or dehydrated. And since it’s hard to be a consistent hydration, I would measure inches lost and total body weight. 😃

Good point about the electric impedance method results changing with water %. Most of the new models of body fat monitors will also measure the % of water your body has to give you an idea of whether or not you are properly hydrated that day. All of them will also suggest that you measure at the same time of day as well as before eating or working out to cut down on hydration differences. Basically, electronic monitors aren’t really as useful for getting an exact reading each time used. They are more useful for getting a trending number and a reference point to your progress. You still have to understand the flaws in your model to interpret the results but it will at least give you a baseline to start from and a trend in either direction.

5′, 9" and I weigh 135lbs. 😼

"dozzerboy" wrote

But you’re just a boy! That’ll change, trust me. I was skinny as a rail when I was a kid, then in college I finally started gaining weight if I didn’t eat right.

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="dozzerboy":1tne0zgk]5′, 9" and I weigh 135lbs. 😼

But you’re just a boy! That’ll change, trust me. I was skinny as a rail when I was a kid, then in college I finally started gaining weight if I didn’t eat right.[/quote:1tne0zgk]

It’s true. It takes about 25-30 years for the world to realize you exist, then it begins working against you in earnest, increasing gravity’s effect on your body and doing things like taking hair away from one spot and putting it in another.

"dozzerboy" wrote

I never weighed that little in high school because I was ripped 😼

"maddslacker" wrote

All you skinny guys are bumming me out. 😕

My scale said "Please do not weight more than one person at one time"

ollysj, We must have a scale from the same company! 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

Gonna have to start calling you FUNNY FAT BILLY,hahaha,that was hilarious dude…

OK since last year and taking more care of my son I ballooned to 205lbs…I am 5’9" so I am going to get back down to 170ish… More of a normal weight for my body type…

I signed into the Lose It site..SO that will keep me in line…((I hope))

"fat_billy" wrote

😉

I’m like 5’9 and 236lb. Not to fat, just ain’t tall enough for my weight 😎
      Waiting for the spring. 4 Weeks of biking, will make me 220ish

"ollysj" wrote

I’m like 5’9 and 236lb. Not to fat, just ain’t tall enough for my weight 😎

Finally .. another man of substance 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="ollysj":38pl5rjq]I’m like 5’9 and 236lb. Not to fat, just ain’t tall enough for my weight 😎

Finally .. another man of substance 😆[/quote:38pl5rjq]

Right there with you. 5’10" @ 229lbs. Hope to be 199 by August.

Hey, we’re mountainbikers, not road racers 😆
      btw…. Road bike racer meets mountain biker

Wait, damn imperial system. I’m 5’11…. 😃

6′ 1" – 260 lbs
      Biggest guy so far? lol. I wear it well…I’m shaped like a gorilla. People don’t believe me when I tell them I’m an avid mountain biker.

I weighed in at a hefty 317 lbs when I decided that I was a fat turd and needed to do something with myself so I started mountain biking several times a week and eating right and now I’m here. It’s been hard, I won’t lie. I hit the plateau at the end of last summer and I’ve since added weight lifting and the occasional run to my work out plan and I’m back to shedding pounds.

If I could stop drinking alcohol I’d probably drop another 10-15 in no time 😠

135 lbs? Disgusting! My gear weighs more than that. Clydesdales rule! Skinny guys think a triple means the front chain rings but WE know tripples come from a drive through. Just commenting. 😄 Later,

This time last yr I was weighing about 260 now I’m at 200.I lift run3miles do yoga bootcamp aerobics abs and strenghth and cardio and spinning classes 5 times a week and then I ride my mountain bike 3 times a week.When first started to ride I could not even ride up a hill with out almost dying now I ride 30 miles on sunday and 10 to 15 miles twice a week.My strengnth and cardio has amazed me what I can do now.If u go to a gym and they have those classes I would advise u to take them u will c a much improvement in your riding.I am the only guy at my gym hwo takes the classes the rest is all woman which is alright with me but I was nervous at the beginning when I first started taking the classes.I eat a bagon egg and cheese every morning with a boston cream donut and a monster drink.My goal is to get down to 190. I will be happy with that. Good luck to every one hwo is trying to lose weight.Put the effort in u will c the results.

Weigh in 2/10/12: 171 lbs. Down 1 pound since last weigh in.

mtbgreg1, Warning, Warning, Warning! Better stay out of the Smith House in your home town. Yeast rolls will hurt your weight loss. Just saying. 😄 Later,

Weigh in 2/13/11 – 177lbs, -3lbs from last week.

"fat_billy" wrote

mtbgreg1, Warning, Warning, Warning! Better stay out of the Smith House in your home town. Yeast rolls will hurt your weight loss. Just saying. 😄 Later,

Lol yeah, smith house is SO GOOD!

I haven’t tracked my calories the past 3 days… 😳 hope it all equaled out…

still 260 flatline.

BUT I have been lifting weights twice a day, 6 days a week, and I can do more of a pull up than I’ve ever been able to before…almost there 😆

Still 200 …. net zero. I guess not gaining any is good….

One week is too early to tell if anything is actually happening. My weight tends to flucuate a few pounds all the time. Give it a few weeks, then we’ll all hopefully see a trend starting.

I have … my metabolism really is that slow … 😏

My metabolism will never get a speeding ticket! 😄 Later,

Weigh in: 168.6. Down 2.4 pounds since last weigh in, 7.4 pounds since I started. Only 8.6 to go!

I forgot to post early this week. 176 on 2/19/12. down 1 pound for that week, 4 total.

41 years old…5’8" and 170 pounds. I am trying NOT to loose weight just maintain my current which I am happy with. For those trying to loose weight don’t forget to excercise your upper body. All I do are pull ups, push ups and use light dumbells. Also don’t forget your abdomen muscles. I have been doing quite a bit and loosing that weight and gaining that streangth really helps the riding.

-10 lbs since 2/15.
      In addition to calorie counting and an uber healthy diet change, I’ve been lifting 2 a days, running, and riding singletrack every single day there isn’t rain since the beginning of February. Yesterday I did my first dead hang pull up 😮

Still 200 :/
      But I rode for an hour yesterday. Now that it’s getting warmer I’ll start riding my bike to work too.

"jtorlando25" wrote

-10 lbs since 2/15.
      In addition to calorie counting and an uber healthy diet change, I’ve been lifting 2 a days, running, and riding singletrack every single day there isn’t rain since the beginning of February. Yesterday I did my first dead hang pull up 😮

Dang, very nice!!

I haven’t stepped on the scale in a while, and I haven’t been logging calories either 😳

I did race for about 4.5 hours on Saturday, though.

I lost 3 pounds and would like to go up to 175. Currently at 167. Can I borrow 8 pounds from someone? I’m riding about 100 miles a week getting ready for endurance race. Any suggestions on gaining weight WITHOUT more cholestrol My triglycerides are high…at least that is what they tell me.

"uekiya" wrote

I lost 3 pounds and would like to go up to 175. Currently at 167. Can I borrow 8 pounds from someone? I’m riding about 100 miles a week getting ready for endurance race. Any suggestions on gaining weight WITHOUT more cholestrol My triglycerides are high…at least that is what they tell me.

Weight lifting, gotta put on muscle mass.

Why are you trying to gain weight? When all else is equal, the lighter guy goes faster.

"uekiya" wrote

Try a whey protein supplement after riding in conjunction with some weight lifting. You will be surprised how quickly you gain weight, plus the protein will help your legs not be sore after a long ride.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Dang, very nice!!

I haven’t stepped on the scale in a while, and I haven’t been logging calories either 😳

I did race for about 4.5 hours on Saturday, though.

Thanks! I’ve actually been using the Lose It app and website religiously and it’s been the biggest help.

My wife has lost 40 lbs using loseit.com. This week, after my daughter took a picture of me to use for a blog post, I have decided to get serious and start doing it whole heartedly.

dgaddis if I lose too much weight…I loose energy for long endurance rides. It is just my body make up I guess. I am only 5’8" and when I go below 170 I just fatigue faster…and I hate that. Thx for the replies everyone.

I love this thread. A little late to the party but I’ll join in.

5′ 7", 230lbs. Short and round. As with a couple of you, most people can’t believe I am an avid skier/mountain biker. I’d love to hit 200 by the end of summer. It will be a long road but I can do it.

I have been using 2 different apps/ websites for my weight loss:

my fitness pal – track caloric intake/ expenditure
      runkeeper – track workouts

Went out for a "run" today. 5.5 miles in 60 minutes. Not fast, not slow. I hate running but it felt really good. I will update soon.

"dozzerboy" wrote

Damn, I bet you can kick some ass in the woods!

Me- 5’10, 200lbs. Was 221 6 months ago before I started riding. Sweets are my biggest problem. Sugar freak!!

Been running every morning and riding as much as possible and I’ve been flatlined for 6 days now. Argghhhh 😼

I am happy with my weight. I track body fat, hydration, muscle mass and weight. 6"2 180 lbs 14 percent body fat. At one time my weight much more. I was into body building weighed almost 235 until I discovered Mtb last year. I dont know why I lifted weights for so many years. I feel better riding. I give most young guys a run for there money at 50.

I played on a recreational hockey league this winter and then started using loseit.com in early February and I am down from 210 to 195 and I am 6’1". Hope to lose another 10 pounds by mid summer. I can’t wait to get out riding and not have to carry that extra 15 pounds around 😃

loseit.com has really helped me understand how much food I can consume, I was consuming to much before 😆

i was 204-206lbs @ 5’11" at the beginning of february. Now I fluctuate between 192-195lbs just by eating less. People ask how i did it, i just tell them that now I live with slight hunger pains throughout the day. Simple. It just sucks at first always feeling that way but now when I eat I dont feel like eating that much. Trust me, I definitely noticed that extra weight loss on climbs with yesterday’s ride. HUGE, I felt like a super hero. 😃

"treky92" wrote

Most recent weigh in was at 172 but I am looking to hit 180 by the end of March. Who’s with me? 😃

You mean you weigh 95 lbs and want to get to 105 soaking wet

I’m fluctuating in the mid 180s. I was 230 for years, but I got hurt last spring and had to lay off all exercise for 6 weeks. I took that time to [i:1dre9upt]very[/i:1dre9upt] carefully count calories and do 1600 to 1800 every day, but Sunday. I use a dry erase board taped to my dash rather then any of the phone apps. I think if I wanted to use the phone I’d just use a post it note thing rather then one of the real diet apps. I just like a running total of calories, like fat grams are just another way to say calorie dense.

I have been using lose it this spring and have lost 30 lbs ……climbing is definitely getting easier. :-)

Wow, I’m late to this party, but this is exactly what my spring has entailed! I don’t do much cardio in the winter besides drumming (4 hour hard rock gigs!), and I lift weights a lot more heavily. I’m 5’11" and pretty fit regardless.

Early February rolled around and I was 202 lbs, definitely the biggest (and strongest) I’ve ever been, still a 34" waist. I really wanted to trim down at least 10 pounds for biking season. Since then, I’ve had to change my workouts to lower weight and more reps and more body weight exercises to tighten the muscle, and reduce caloric intake to some degree – I was eating pretty healthy, but I cut down my protein and carb ratio unless I was going to burn it off.

Stepped on the scale last week and saw the glowing "192" number I’ve been aiming for! Riding is WAY easier, and I’m probably the fittest I’ve ever been. I’m also training for another Spartan Race in August, so though I predominantly am biking, I’ve been running (Cross-Fit style, with push-ups, burpees, etc) as well. Tonight’s a run, in fact, though I’d rather be on my bike!

I’m kind of aiming to hit 185 now — my knees and back will appreciate it! So will the girlfriend!

Neither am I….i am 174..

okay i will be a late comer… started mid august at 267 . currently at 243 . looking to get to 180 by spring . I am barely 5’8 . Been doing what I call the No White diet . no white bread , pasta sugars that sort of thing. higher protien and whole grain / high fiber stuff.

Male, 5’11/2"

Febuary 21,2012 = get Engaged 212 lbs 0 bikes : later that day…

Walmart: 2 Mongoose Bikes (guys and girls)
      Local Trails w/ new Fiance’= First nature thing to do together and really had an amazing time on Singletrack for the first time ever!

03/15/2012 = 205 lbs: Retire Mongoose as I "jump" alot and the componets kept breaking. later that day….
      FIND SINGLETRACKS.COM then head to

Local Bike Shop called "The Bike Shop: 2 Trek 29ers. Fiance was SO against WSD lol i love it. she is to fierce on a bike to have something that doesnt fit her style. nothing against WSD it was her call. Also, i found out she spent countless hours on a bike a child growing up (24 years old now) which was apparent when i watched her ride for the forst time. She is as into this as I am. I am so lucky!

4 Bikes.

Hundreds of miles of sweat and some blood later we are riding stronger than ever…

skip to 09/20/2012= 180 lbs: and when people refer to us riding as a "hobby" i correct them as it is a "lifestyle" our life is changed.

Thanks Singletrack, i get on here EVERYDAY! its time for me to get involved. From Texas.. hello everone!

oh and now we have 11 bikes. were in love with this.

My last post was on 3/5 and I was at 250 lbs. Stepped on the scale this morning: 236 lbs.

I’ve lost 81 lbs since I began this lifestyle change. 19 more to go.

I’m still riding every day the weather/work/school allows. Getting up and running 1-2 miles in the mornings before work. The weight is coming off A LOT slower now so I haven’t been doing any weight training. I want to burn off all the blubber then buff out what’s left.

AWESOME guys! That’s so good to hear!

End of season here, but figured I’d chime in…

I’m 5"11, 27 years old.

At the start of the season, around March, I weighed 152. I kicked off the year by running in a 5K race (ran a 19:18 time, good for 11th). I wanted to increase core strength as I had lost a lot of power there, and ideally, gain some muscle mass. 160 has always been the "peak fitness" goal.

So I’ve been biking in a weekly race series (which is now done) and running trails and hills, and at the end of the season, my weight is:

5’10" and have weighed in at 135 +/-5 lbs for the last 15 years. I don’t expect that’ll change anytime soon.

Going the opposite way.
      6’3"
      6 months ago I was 125, now up to 152 and climbing.

I have thyroid issues, so maintaining a healthy weight is very difficult, its a delicate balance of caloric intake and exercise. The bike is HORRIBLE for putting any weight on, but fantastic for everything else. I just try to watch how far and hard I ride in a week and make sure I always eat like I am doing an iron man. 5000 calories a day is harder to consume than you think.

I’m late to this party as well. I am 6’2 and was 206, After a fair amount of riding over the past few weeks I stepped on the scales this morning. I saw 189. I feel pretty good.

It’s been a while (and I never updated) but as of now, 164 and holding. I am trying to get down to 160 as I don’t think I can sustain anything lower. Mostly a mix of diet and riding has been the key.

185 😃

260 lbs at just under 6′ 😳

Was finally making headway last year getting down to ~235 lb then winter came and I just kept gaining all winter. I got up to ~260 lb in just 3 months somehow. I’ve managed to stem the tide and thankfully haven’t gained anymore since, but haven’t lost any either. Bought an entry-level mtn bike about a month ago after getting hooked late last fall and the plan is to ride the trails around here as often as possible and commute to and from work unless the weather is absolutely biblical.

Viewing 72 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.