Wear Spot on Fox Fork From Bike carrier

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I recently picked up a new bike carrier for my roof rack and noticed that after a couple uses that it was rubbing against the break cable that runs down the front of my Fox fork. The wear spot has gone all the way through the paint.

My question is: Can I just apply some regular touch-up paint from an auto store? Should I take it to my local shop and see what they can do?

I’m going to be sure to not let my bike carrier rub the fork when I mount in on the rack. I’m just trying to figure out the best way to fix the fork. Any suggestions are welcome.

-Josh

ive had to fix paint on my bike from a rub too. i got matching paint and some light sand paper, light coat, sand, light coat, sand, untill you get the match you want, then some clear coat. it didnt look out of the box new but a lot better than it did before.

my friends have an old bike tube on their part of the rack that touches the bike

Is the rubbed off paint on the lower part of the fork? or on the upper stanchions?

My cable rub solution was to crash a few times which scraped off even more paint and I no longer cared. 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

Is the rubbed off paint on the lower part of the fork? or on the upper stanchions?

My cable rub solution was to crash a few times which scraped off even more paint and I no longer cared. 😆

LOL nice. Yeah it’s on the upper stanchions. I realized today after loading up my bike that it’s not due to the rack but just from general cable rubbing. I already put some automotive touch-up paint on it and am feeling good.

If it’s in fact the upper stanchions, then paint is a very very bad thing.

To be clear, the stanchions are the shiny part that slides down into the seal. Paint will corrupt the seal and eventually cause it to fail.

"maddslacker" wrote

If it’s in fact the upper stanchions, then paint is a very very bad thing.

To be clear, the stanchions are the shiny part that slides down into the seal. Paint will corrupt the seal and eventually cause it to fail.

Sorry I should be more clear. It is on the painted part of the crown that the upper stanchions connect to.

Ah, that makes more sense!

Any touch up paint will work fine for that.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.