Washing Bike Parts in Dishwasher: Good Idea or Bad?

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

I was just cleaning my cassette today for what seems like the 10th time this winter and I was wondering: would it be a bad idea to stick the cassette in the dishwasher? It’s impossible to reach all the inner parts, even with a toothbrush and cotton swabs but it seems like a dishwasher, with its high power jets could do the trick. Pot scrubber cycle anyone?

I guess the question is, would a dishwasher be too powerful for bike parts? I could see the heat and/or pressure removing any sort of protective coating but I don’t know if this is an issue. Then there’s also the matter of dish soap – too harsh?

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to put bike parts in the dishwasher. I’ve seen some bad things done to metal pieces in there. Something that I’ve been considering is one of those ultrasonic cleaners. I’ve seen some large ones that would be about the right size for most bike parts. Other wise I’d use a vibratory tumbler with a softer media.

I think it would be okay for something like a cassette. But do you really need to get every little bit of dirt off it? Tried a good old fashioned garden hose?

Try it and let us know how it works!

Yeah, did the garden hose and sink w/ hot water. Even used a scrub brush but on those XX cassettes there are some really hard to reach areas. You’re right though – the grime isn’t in a place where it really makes a difference. Still, it’s feels nice when everything is completely clean. 😀

Well duh, just check the packaging…does it say dishwasher safe? 😄

I actually have a trashed and very dirty cassette laying around that I’d be willing to experiment with in the washer if you would like.

I used to be into racing RC cars and used to wash some of my chassis components in the dish washer and they always turned out fine but I probably wouldn’t risk much more expensive bike components.

If it’s all steel, sure, fire away. I’d be careful with alloys tho because the high (relatively) heat may have some effect. That’s the only caveat I can think of.

My college roommate used to put his chain in there & it came out super clean but would never lube up right after that.

I cannot wait to read about the results of this experiment. For safety reasons, I would wait ’til mudhoney is not around. 😆

I happen to work in a shop with a nice parts washer that never gets used besides for home projects… 😉 It does quick work of grimmy bike parts…

The only issue I see is Mudhunny beating you over the head with a 2X4 when you find out that the water tastes funny for a while after you clean the cassette….I am refering to the glasses that you clean after the cassette…

….I am refering to the glasses that you clean after the cassette…

We washed the air cleaners from the race car I help on which get sprayed with air filter lube that helps keep even more dirt and dust out of the engine and we never had any problems with after taste,hahaha.I say go for it,just knock off what dirt and gryme that you can before you put it in there…let us know how it goes,, 😄

Yeah, I think the cassette will be fine, but I’m not sure I want chain lube and dirt in my dishwasher where my dishes go…

Washing parts in the dishwasher works. Don’t let a female catch you though. Have washed bike, motorcycle and car parts. Slight grit on any dishes should be considered roughage for good elemination. As stated before don’t get caught by a female. If the washer gets slimed just run it empty with lots of soap and it should clear it up. This is from a happy Ex-husband. 😄 Later,

Funny Billy,I work on a race car and we have to wait till the female goes shopping,then in go the air cleaners,really isn’t bad if you do it regularly,if you do a spring cleaning(so to speak),then thays where you get too much grime in there and can’t clean it before the female comes home.But man does it do a good job of cleanin,and it’s easier for sure…

Dishwashers aren’t that expensive, perhaps one could be installed in the garage?

Having a dishwasher in the shop is not a very manly thing. Cooler? Yes. Music Player? Yes! Dishwasher? No. Sneaking upstairs fun and challenging. Challenging? We she pulls in from the store it’s a race to get the parts out of the dishwasher. Go Boys! 😄 Later,

Wayyyy funner huh billy,hahahahahahaha

Well, this is an old practice for me — I’ve cleaned bike parts in the dish-smasher for years. It works really well, and i’ve never seen any residue. I have used it on Campagnolo cranks (back before they were all carbon) and on free-wheel gears. If the owner of the kitchen is willing to allow the practice — clean away.

Word of warning — wives, girlfriends, and mothers are very fierce critters when not consulted about things related to the kitchens.

BTW — another old practice — I used to have a Corvair (google it — it’ll date me I know). It often needed to have valve seats replaced in its cylinder head, we used to bake the head at 400 degrees and put the valve seats in the freezer. The head expanded, the seat contracted, and the would pop right in. We did that till my Mom came home one day to find us doing that.

She suggested we stop.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.