Warning exercise

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Being somewhat new to mountain biking I just fell head over heals for the sport about two years ago. At first I thought it was the hardest thing that I ever did. I have participated in many other types of sports throughout my 51 years. Most recently before mountain biking I was your typical gym rat. Well needless to say I had not stepped foot in the gym for over a year until last week my son asked me to start training him again. Well I went strait into a routine that would be a little on the advanced side I call it push pull with explosive moves encompassing your whole body. The plan takes twelve weeks to complete. The problem is I thought just because I have put up over 1700 hard miles and 13 races in the dirt since last January I would have no problem adding in some strength conditioning back into my training. Was I ever wrong. I could barely walk immediately following the first work out. Being a veteran of strength training I thought I knew better I even dropped the weight down so low it was embarrassing some of the women in the gym were lifting more than me. Today will be my first ride in a week. So the morel of the story is that you should always do other types of conditioning to complement your riding. And one other small piece of advice ease yourself into it or pay the price. If anyone is interested in a good conditioning work out drop me a line and I would be happy to pass it along at no cost. It is in a excel format. I put a lot of work into it. I have many years of experience in conditioning.

Good post.
      I have been MT biking for about 2-3 months now. Before that I rode dirt bikes regularly. It took my body a while to adjust to the sport. Just this weekend I did a few sprints. Man are my quads sore. My quads are somewhat conditioned for biking but not running. Each sport and activity uses different muscles and uses muscles differently. A few years ago I would go to the gym and I used a push/pull type workout using opposing muscles right after another. I liked it. I do not go to the gym now but I think I would benifit from it.

PM sent

There’s a lot of good topics on this site about fitness and mountain biking — it is GREAT exercise, but like with any exercise, it affects your body in different ways. I find most riders are in fairly good shape, as mountain biking really does give you a full body workout, from pumping your legs to core balance to bracing on the bars, all the way to keep your back and neck alligned.

But bench pressing and bike riding are two different sports — always warm up, stretch, and be smart when exercising!

[i:wnbmvryh]Pet peeve:[/i:wnbmvryh] Leg day at the gym, then 2 days later hopping on the bike only to realize my quads are TOAST. 😃

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.