Wal-Mart 29er

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author

so my bike serves as y transportation for about 80% of the places i go, seeing as my job and college are about 2 miles from my house if that. and i dont mind it at all, in fact i very much prefer it with the exception of one thing, the possibility of my beloved bike getting stolen. the thot of it just makes me cringe.

so since i like riding my bike, and yet dont wanna let the near $700 i have in my MTB just get stolen i was trying to think of how i should fix that. i know that a good bike chain and a good hiding spot are great, BUT how often is there actually a good place to lock your bike up?

well now im finally going to get to my subject, a while back on here i believe it was T7K had posted about mongoose making a 29er. i happened to see one in wally world the other day and it jogged my memory. so i looked over the bike and aside from needing to basically take the bike apart and put it back together it seemed like it would be pretty good for commuting. the two things i would have to change immediately would be the grip shifters and the PROMAX breaks as i have a hatred of both of these awful products.

so what do you guys think? should i drop $200 into it and another $100 into upgrades?

$300 could buy you a good used commuter bike on craigslist. or see what your LBS has in that range for the home/work/school trips.

Also buying used you would have a back up bike for when non-rider friends want to check out the sport or if your other rig is down.

i agree with Brian, see what craigslist has or a tag sale or used elswhere, but buying a WM bike is a good idea for commuting and if it gets stolen, oh well. but i wouldnt put any money into it.

Also I remember reading an article about commuter bikes and ways to avoiding thefts that bikes that "look" older, dirty, not kept up are less likely than clean, shinny, expensive bikes. It mentioned placing stickers on them, only cleaning the drive train and other moving parts. Anything that makes the bike look cheap. Oh a few paint chips. It also mentioned if possible no quick release seats/wheels and turning it to a single speed so components are not a draw to perspective thieves.

Remember thieves steal bikes to sell, not ride for themselves. If it looks cheap they will not be able to make money on it.

I know how you feel about locking the bike up. I feel like its only a matter of time until my seat, wheel, or cyclocomputer goes missing.

But, I think you should go for a used bike for $200-300 that is bike shop quality. If you buy a the wal-mart bike and try to fix it up, i feel that you will end up spending more money in upgrades then you initially intended. walmart bikes come with plastic pedals, the grip shifters!, chain that will rust on the way to the car, etc.

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="brianW":3n22js83]Also I remember reading an article about commuter bikes and ways to avoiding thefts that bikes that "look" older, dirty, not kept up are less likely than clean, shinny, expensive bikes. It mentioned placing stickers on them, only cleaning the drive train and other moving parts. Anything that makes the bike look cheap. Oh a few paint chips. It also mentioned if possible no quick release seats/wheels and turning it to a single speed so components are not a draw to perspective thieves.

Remember thieves steal bikes to sell, not ride for themselves. If it looks cheap they will not be able to make money on it.

Welllllllllllll, unless they are seeking out crack (not butt crack either…. 😆) or other narcotics/drugs. Them low lives will sell their soul for a hit or piece. 😉[/quote:3n22js83]

I agree with both of you guys. To BrianW’s point, perception is reality. If a bike appears to be "cheap" then it must be cheap. To ChiliPepper’s point, if they are desperate enough, they will take anything to sell it for the next fix.

Here’s my work commuter:

I paid $150 for the bike 5 years ago on Craigslist, and then bought the rigid fork, pannier rack and laptop bag new. The Eggbeater pedals were $10 on clearance at REI and the Bontrager tires were $40 for the pair on Craigslist.

The point is, skip the Walmart crap and get a real bike for less $$ on Craigslist. It will still be a bummer of it gets stolen, but like you said, it won’t be your ‘good’ bike.

This maybe a bit off subject (or maybe related) but as a person who doesn’t have much income (fixed monthly) my bike was originally purchased from Walmart. Over the last 18 months I’ve sunk lots of money into it in the form of upgrades and have overhauled pretty much every component that came on it. When I bought my bike I knew nothing of Craigslist, but even knowing about it now I don’t think I trust people enough to buy things second-hand. It’s completely possible to buy a Walmart bike and have it perform nearly as well as a bike that costs over a thousand dollars. Just a personal take here. 😀

A lot of bike shops sell used bikes or consign them, that may be something to look into. Also check you local mt bike forum for used bikes, bulliten boards at LBS or other credible outdoor shop.

"brianW" wrote

A lot of bike shops sell used bikes or consign them, that may be something to look into. Also check you local mt bike forum for used bikes, bulliten boards at LBS or other credible outdoor shop.

+1 on the used consignment bikes. I’ve seen a lot of good deals floating around, but you have to jump on them fast.

A lot of LBS’s here sells there rental fleet every year, and you can reserve one with a deposit. One place will even do a ‘lay-away’ so that you can pay for over the winter.

i dont hate on the wal mart bikes, a gal i dated had one just as a local commuter bike. It was a full suspension and was heavy, really really heavy and handled like a pogo stick on wheels but was comfy. Now what i was wondering if there was a bike club out there that did a walmart ride or something. It would be awesome to see a group of strong riders ripping up the trails on walmart bikes. Id prefer to see this in video form. Any links would be great.

wow awesome responses, but you see my thing with this bike is its not like all the other ones.

see if you look at the normal wally bike, they have full suspension, aluminum frames, and try to have everything that the expensive bike has but we all know that the components LOOK like the bike shop bikes, and dont even come close to performance.

but this one is a steel frame, rigid, disc brakes, and i would make it into a SS.

HA, that would be great to do a WM ride!

If the price is right, that does sound like a good base for a rigid SS.

I thought you were looking at the full suspension pogo sticks they carry. 😀

Avoid.

I bought a wal-mart mongoose hardtail when I started college. The SECOND day I had it I tacoed the rear wheel riding up a curb at walking pace. I was not going fast, I’ve been riding up and over curbs my whole life, I knew what I was doing, it was just a total POS bike.

Two weeks later I brought my Trek BMX to college, and rode the snot out of it (both commuting and freestyle) for 2.5 years, then upgraded to an Eastern BMX.

Wal-Mart bikes are cheap for a reason. Stay away.

"dgaddis" wrote

Avoid.

I bought a wal-mart mongoose hardtail when I started college. The SECOND day I had it I tacoed the rear wheel riding up a curb at walking pace. I was not going fast, I’ve been riding up and over curbs my whole life, I knew what I was doing, it was just a total POS bike.

Two weeks later I brought my Trek BMX to college, and rode the snot out of it (both commuting and freestyle) for 2.5 years, then upgraded to an Eastern BMX.

Wal-Mart bikes are cheap for a reason. Stay away.

+1

While you don’t have the shoddy suspension like other walmart bikes, most nice singlespeeds can still cost thousands of dollars…. and there’s a reason why: there are a lot more parts to think about than suspension, breaks, and drivetrain.

FBTrek,

just go to freeflite bicycles (where I work 😀 ) and get a trek 3500 or Skye for under $400.

I have the 3500 and it is great for the pavement/grass but I overhauled mine for the trails! 😆

My 2 cents worth.

I have a 3900 with Avid BB7’s on it, and a full on road bike, Specialized Allez, its not that i dont have one to ride, its that i dont have one i like to commute on purely because i dont feel comfortable locking them up and leaving them in the wild.

and the Trek Skye is a girl bike…the geometry is totally different and geared towards women.

Sorry about that Skye. I meant an 820. Yeah I see where you are coming from.

My 3500 has a rockshox revelation 130mm coil spring u-turn and BB7’s. It rocks.

Maybe its just me, but having gone to the campus in gainesville for a semester, I don’t really think you have much to worry about. If you slap a lock on your bike and if its locked in a public place (where people are walking by a good bit) I think there’s basically zero chance its going to get stolen, but that’s my .02

Unless you’re in like NYC, or maybe if you were going to UGA I’d be a little more concerned. But GSC? Nah.

And, to be frank, $700 [i:1ljkkn8g]is [/i:1ljkkn8g]relatively inexpensive for a bicycle. Plus, $700 on your used mtb is probably replacement value, not resale value.

Well said Goo! Bravo!

"dozzerboy" wrote

Sorry about that Skye. I meant an 820. Yeah I see where you are coming from.

My 3500 has a rockshox revelation 130mm coil spring u-turn and BB7’s. It rocks.

you put a 130mm fork on a bike that originally had an 80mm?

well i guess i should just put the $300 into some azonic outlaws for my Trek. but does anyone know of a way i could build a SS 29er for say under $500?

Yeah, I know. The 3500 originally had a 63mm fork on it. Lol

I love the raked out front end. I got that fork for $100 practically new. It is an ’07 model.

"FBTrek321" wrote

but does anyone know of a way i could build a SS 29er for say under $500?

Brand new Redline Monocog sells for right around $500. You can find ’em used even cheaper on Ebay.

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/mt … nocog-29er

Solid bike. Nothing fancy, but it’s all good quality reliable components.

+1 on the redlines.

At the shop, I build some redlines from time to time. They ride super solid.

i keep seeing that bike on CL but with disc brakes, guess i’ll have to scoop one of those up.

Wal-Mart 29er? I’m laughing just at the title.

I recently saw that walmart 29’er in person and it looked like the crank arms would break from cranking them really hard. It just looked very flimsey

The one and only cycling component I ever purchased from Wal-mart was later recalled.

I’m still a bargain hunter, but I’ll go to Craigslist or any of several online retailers first.

well, after you guys convincing me and my cycling teacher at the college, and a couple other riding buddies telling me to steer clear i think im going to just go with a KHS or a Redline, as i can get one for around $500 in pretty good shape.

Viewing 30 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.