W. Kerr Scott Reservoir

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Planning on hitting this place up for the first time in the Spring. I’ve been reviewing the maps, and wondering if anyone has recommendations on staying at Warrior Creek Campground or Bandit’s Roost Campground. Each campground provides access to trails. I like that Warrior Creek seems to have sites embedded within the trail system. We’ll want to hit all the trails, but they aren’t all together. Is the best thing to bike back and forth on 268 or should we just plan to shuttle to whichever trails we don’t camp near?

Also, does anyone know the progress of Headwater’s Loop trails that show a proposed completion of 2011 on the Warrior Creek map?

Any other info or recommendations appreciated.

Beuhler?

Dark Mountain and The OVT trailhead are very close to each other – only about half a mile apart, just drive/ride across the damn to get to the other one. Warrior creek is 4-5 miles down the road (268). I personally dont like riding this road – traffic ZOOMS by, so I drive to the trailhead, But it would not be difficult to ride if you preferred – its relatively flat, pretty county. Several places to park at warrior creek if you shuttle.
      Both the campgrounds are quite nice. Warrior Creek trails circle the campground, so you’re in and out of campground road crossings. The OVT ends (or starts) up at the Bandit’s Roost campground, but doesn’t really wind through it. Bandits roost would be the most centrally located to all the trails.

I know the headwaters loop is not yet open, But I think thyere getting pretty close? Don’t know the official word, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see at least part of it open in spring. The trail crew down there is great – they move fast.

Also – Looks like Kerr Scott just got EPIC Status! Nice.
      http://www.imba.com/epics/kerr-scott

Would also be easy take a run up to Boone (30 miles away) and hit rocky Knob while you’re there. only about 3 miles of trail so far (loop), but its much steeper and rockier than anything at Kerr Scott, Would be worth a stop to change things up.

@Gronckle – been meaning to thank you for the one and only reply, and an informative one at that. With the news of KS being Epic, I better make my camping reservations soon now that EVERYONE is going to be going there. I’m going to check out Rocky Knob too. Thanks!

No problem – Enjoy!

I camped and biked at Kerr Scott this past May. I would highly recommend one of the tent only sites in the Bandit’s Roost campground. The loop we stayed on was tent only (sites A01 though A09) and the sites were awesome. You should be able to go to the camping reservation site and see the map for the campground and the loop I’m talking about. The sites were very large and relatively secluded from each other. They were also about 100 yds from the OVT trailhead. You can jump on that and take OVT all they way to the visitors center, then cross the dam and ride Dark Mountain. I’d load the bike on the car and haul it to Warrior Creek just to avoid the traffic on the hwy though.

one more thing…if you do stay in Bandit’s Roost, I’d stay away from the RV sites. They are packed pretty tightly and have almost no trees. The Warrior Creek sites are pretty nice too.

Great info, thanks. I just downloaded the campground map and see the tent only sites. I also saw on the reservation site that these are non-electric, which isn’t a big deal, but I was wondering if they have water.

there are several water spigots up on the road next to where you would park your car. There isn’t a dedicated spigot for every site, but they are spaced out about every 2 to 3 sites. They are pretty convenient.

"kevlars7d" wrote

there are several water spigots up on the road next to where you would park your car. There isn’t a dedicated spigot for every site, but they are spaced out about every 2 to 3 sites. They are pretty convenient.

Not quite as convenient when they shut the water down to protect from freezing.

Just something to think about. All water was shut down at Tsali yesterday for the impending winter. Two of our guys had to beg water for their camelbaks.

"kevlars7d" wrote

Cool. Thanks again. I noticed some other tent sites on the map — 63 & 64 are of particular interest. Did you check those out? Any feedback?

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="kevlars7d":2ccsm6iz]there are several water spigots up on the road next to where you would park your car. There isn’t a dedicated spigot for every site, but they are spaced out about every 2 to 3 sites. They are pretty convenient.

Cool. Thanks again. I noticed some other tent sites on the map — 63 & 64 are of particular interest. Did you check those out? Any feedback?[/quote:2ccsm6iz]

If I remember correctly, that whole peninsula that 63 and 64 are on has almost no trees. I’d probably stay away from it. You can also check it out on google maps and use the satellite view to get a feeling for it.

I compared the satellite map to the campground map. It looks like 63/64 is wooded/shaded, but I see what you mean about the peninsula.

That reminds me, I need to go research Rocky Knob.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.