Vote on a Fed. Govt. website for mountain bike trail access

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Vote on a Fed. Govt. website for mountain bike trail access

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Apparently, there is a federal government website dedicated to understanding how the public wants to use public lands.A proposition has been posted on that site to protect the status of current mountain bike trails, and to allow mountain bikes access to additional trails in suitable wilderness areas. The time to vote is coming to a close, but only 229 people have voted for it (pro-mountain biking) and 278 people have voted against it (anti-mountain biking). That means we are losing.

This is the first I’ve heard of it, and maybe it’s the first time you’ve heard of it too. What we all need to do is GET ON THERE AND VOTE!There are hundreds of thousands of mountain bikers in this nation, and millions of cyclists, why have only 229 people said their piece? We need to publicize this as much as we can so that our collective voice can be heard! We could easily dominate this vote if people would just stand up and be counted… so get on there and vote for more trails!

Signing up literally takes 30 seconds, you can register and vote in next to no time.

Click here and vote for mountain biking now!

Link:
      http://ideas.usda.gov/ago/ideas.nsf/0/9 … enDocument

In addition to voting, I added a comment. You can read it below:

I agree with the proposition above on all accounts. Mountain biking hadn’t even been conceived of when the original Wilderness designation was created, and was still in it’s infancy in ’84.

The point that any trails which currently support equestrian traffic can definitely support mountain biking is especially true. Horses are much more detrimental to the trail than mountain bikes: I’ve seen the proof on my local trail system with my own eyes when comparing trails open to everyone and those only open to mountain bikes and hikers.

Finally, I exceedingly agree with the statement above about segregation. Segregated trails just make us all separate and unequal, and people that promote that agenda are bigots. Strong language, but oh-so-true, especially when the exceedingly small environmental impact of mountain bikes is considered!

I say protect our current singletrack, and continue to open more to mountain bikes!

Thanks for the heads up on this Goo…didn’t know it was out there, I signed up and voted. It looks like the count is 319 promoting and still 278 demotes. Also check out the What’s Hot column on the right of the page and vote on any other mtb items.

Actually, ‘promote’ is to support bicycle friendly policies. So MTB is leading for now.

Done! Signed both my wife and I up. We’ve got a pretty strong lead right now.

Damn right though Goo! With almost 120,000 members of ST.com alone, we should blow their doors down. Is there a way to PM or email all members to get the message out?

Thanks for the heads up Goo. I voted. 371 to 278 now. 😃

"joetutt" wrote

Done! Signed both my wife and I up. We’ve got a pretty strong lead right now.

Damn right though Goo! With almost 120,000 members of ST.com alone, we should blow their doors down. Is there a way to PM or email all members to get the message out?

Jeff could probably do it, although this has been up since Sept. and i think it’s about ready to expire… it might be too late already. I heard about it just yesterday though, so whoever is putting together these propositions really needs to do a better job of letting people know what the heck is going on.

"Goo" wrote

[quote="joetutt":1qk5p9mo]Done! Signed both my wife and I up. We’ve got a pretty strong lead right now.

Jeff could probably do it, although this has been up since Sept. and i think it’s about ready to expire… it might be too late already. I heard about it just yesterday though, so whoever is putting together these propositions really needs to do a better job of letting people know what the heck is going on.[/quote:1qk5p9mo]

Status shows "OPEN" still, but can’t find anywhere an end date. Probably worth a shot! If we can show an overwhelming response, maybe we can open some eyes.

BTW, here’s another one on the same site.

http://ideas.usda.gov/ago/ideas.nsf/0/B … enDocument

I loved all the comments to the effect of "mountain bikers never spend any time maintaining trails."

Jefferson County here has been dealing with a lot of multi-use trail issues and in their research they quickly discovered that mountain bikers actually outspend and outvolunteer other trail user groups by an order of magnitude!

How about the dude that said Mountain Bikers should have to ride the same trails as motorcycles.I think there is an extreme difference in brute force that a motorcycle could cause to a Mtn Biker than a Mtn Biker could cause to a hiker or equine even in the event of death.And that’s not to say I dont see into this point and understand what is going on,I grew up around auto racing and have witnessed millions of people wether in person or on t.v. over the years spectate auto races and know that those millions of people take there own lives into there own hands just by attending auto races.I dont want to get too overly involved in this point,although I think this point exposes the fact that being out in the wild in the first place,puts hikers and equin lifes in there own hands even without mtn bikers on the trails with them at all.Why make pointless points,there are just as many rogue hikers and horse riders as there are mtn bikers,those of us that respect and adhere to policy just wish all the haters were gone wether biker,horse or hiker……

"steve32300" wrote

Why make pointless points,there are just as many rogue hikers and horse riders as there are mtn bikers,those of us that respect and adhere to policy just wish all the haters were gone wether biker,horse or hiker…...

So true. I wish we could all work together to build and maintain trails!

Was a little curious to see how this was panning out so I checked it out to find much more "promotes" than last time but I’m just shocked to see all the "demotes." What do these people have against mountain bikers? This is crazy to me!

It’s still open too for anyone else who wants to vote!

Just voted. Was very surprised to see the level of anti-mb anger there. The promotes are well ahead now, But I dont know where all this hate is coming from. They seem to be lumping bikers in with motocross. The average MTBer I know is far more likely to log trail maintenance time than the average hiker, (although we do have some dedicated trail crews for both types).

Fortunately, My area (western NC) seems to be very welcoming to bikers for the most part, Plenty of legal official singletrack in the area, plus- many of the coolest hiking trails just aren’t really bikeable unless you have a genuine death wish.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.