Visiting Buena Vista, Colorado in late October

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I will be visiting family in Buena Vista, Colorado for a few days in late October.  Not sure how much free time I will have to ride but just curious if the trails there will still be rideable in late October.  Any trail recommendations or bike rental recommendations?  Will be flying so won’t be bringing a bike and won’t have a bike rack on the rental car so looking for trails I could ride to from town or maybe a bike rental somewhere near the trails.  Also ride spd pedals.  Should I bring my shoes/pedals or do shops usually rent those too?  Thanks for any info.

Hey man, if you’re riding from town, the Whipple Trails and Midland Hill trails will all be accessible and riding well that time of year. The high elevation trails up in the mountains might have some snow, but you won’t be able to access those without a car to drive to the trailhead.

Check out Boneshaker in downtown BV for bike rentals.

Hope you have a great time!

Thanks Greg!  Will check out the trails you mentioned and contact Boneshaker for the bike rental.

I always travel with my pedals and shoes.

I’ve found it’s pretty easy to throw a bike in the back seat of a rental car as well just by taking off the front wheel.  Worst case scenario if the car is a compact and not wide enough for this, then pull both wheels.  Then you can go anywhere!  So if you ride Whipple and still have time for another ride, throw the bike in the back seat and head for Salida and the Arkansas Hills!

Thanks John!  Will probably be traveling with my pedals, shoes and helmet.  Just need to get a pedal wrench.  I rarely remove my pedals and last time I tried with an adjustable wrench they were on too tight and had to take it to the shop to get them removed.  Are Salida/Arkansas hills rideable in late October too?  Any high elevation/alpine trails close by that are rideable in late October?  May try to fit the bike in the rental car if I have time to drive to any other trails.

I should have said I always travel with my pedal wrench as well!

In any case, the shop will have one if you don’t.

Arkansas Hills will more than likely be open in late October.  As for high altitude rides, it’s impossible to predict.  Usually by late October, most high altitude rides are shut down.  We’ve already had snow in the mountains above 8,000 feet.  Most of it will melt before the next snow hits.  It varies widely from year to year as to when it sticks and stays and at what level.  But then, you can usually count on things like the Monarch Crest being off the table.  In the drier mountains further east, I have ridden as high as 10,000 ft as late as mid November during a year with light/late snow.

The good news is that at that time even though it’s fairly high, being on the dry side of the valley, the Salsa/Rumba/Cottonwood lead in to the Arkansas Hills will likely be open, so you can still get pretty high up and enjoy a long, sustained, quality downhill run.

Arkansas Hills Trail System

Sounds good.  Thanks for the info John!

Good luck and God bless on your trip Jon.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.