Virtual Reality MTB Trail Guide

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

The idea of a virtual reality trail experience is something I thought about several years ago but decided was probably overkill for most folks. Today I found a site that’s actually doing it! Check out this tour of Angler’s Ridge in Danville, VA (click the autoplay button at the top middle).

http://www.terrain360.com/trails/angler … ors1/tour#

I think it’s an awesome setup but two thoughts. One, 99.5% of trail users wouldn’t be bothered to sit through it(just like mapmyride’s 3d trail summary) and until people find a way to refine Google’s snapshot tour system, it’s going to remain a novelty. I can sense my life slipping away as each frame is drawn.

"schwim" wrote

I can sense my life slipping away as each frame is drawn.

Ha! Not quite the same thrill as actually riding the trail. 😀

Pretty cool/different idea but I think Youtube has that virtual reality/simulation niche covered for the most part.

"jtorlando25" wrote

Pretty cool/different idea but I think Youtube has that virtual reality/simulation niche covered for the most part.

True. I don’t know about you but I’m pretty tired of single perspective, unedited helmet cam videos. I can watch for about 30 seconds then I’m done.

"jeff" wrote

True. I don’t know about you but I’m pretty tired of single perspective, unedited helmet cam videos. I can watch for about 30 seconds then I’m done.

Couldn’t agree more. I found this out when I got my 1st GoPro and posted a few unedited vids and I couldn’t even stand to watch my own junk 😆

"jeff" wrote

I really don’t mind the short ones posted via a community I’m part of like this forum because it’s in the context of somebody sharing their experience with their friends. As for the tens of thousands of longer single-perspective vids floating around on the web, the only reason I watch them now is if I’m trying to find out about a particular trail. I’ve watched enough videos of some guy with a camera on his chest or helmet doing 8mph with a death metal backdrop to last me for life.

I’ve stumbled onto this website before. Like y’all already said, at first the concept is cool… but after about 90 seconds of clicking through the trail I get bored.

Plus, all this virtual reality thing just seems to diminish the actual experience of going out and seeing places for yourself. I guess you could say the same thing for videos and photos, but still: I’d rather experience the trail first-hand.

Yep, YouTube covered with tons of those plain single perspective videos. I’ll second Shwim on that I watch those videos to get an idea what to expect, if its worth fuel and time to get there. Nothing is more frustrating then drive to the new trail to climb ridiculously steep hill and descend it on straight cow path.
      I wasn’t considering Fruita on my trip to Colorado, until I saw a few videos from 18 road and Lunch Loop…
      I think, virtual tour could be helpful for places, that has no pics or videos. There’re many such trails in ST database.

"stumpyfsr" wrote

I think, virtual tour could be helpful for places, that has no pics or videos. There’re many such trails in ST database.

But on that note, it seems like it would just be easier to take some pics and video and add them to the database than it would be to create an entire virtual tour.

Google Googles or Glasses or whatever their name for them this week is will be awesome for MTB videos.

http://www.google.com/glass/start/how-it-feels/

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="stumpyfsr":1mgg05c6]

But on that note, it seems like it would just be easier to take some pics and video and add them to the database than it would be to create an entire virtual tour.[/quote:1mgg05c6]
      Yep. True.

We may even see Google doing more "street view" coverage of trails like this one they did of the Bright Angel trail at the Grand Canyon: http://maps.google.com/help/maps/street … nd-canyon/

But yeah, for me it takes some of the excitement and adventure out of riding. Sometimes I like to just go in fresh with no expectations!

IMBA has also gotten into virtual riding, but they include embedded photos w/information in addition to short video. Their list so far is short, but for a planned trip to Birmingham, I found Oak Mtn informative.
      [url:16oxiuj9]http://www.imba.com/maps/geostories[/url:16oxiuj9]

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.