Vintage mechanical disk brakes

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Greetings, I have an older (2008) FS mtb with Shimano BR-M415 mechanical disk brake calipers on it and I can’t get them adjusted just right. I am looking for replacement calipers and finding a lot of advertisements for BR-M375s. Does anyone know if the 375s are a compatible replacement for the old 415s?

First, you need to know the type of mount. International Standard, post or flat mount.

Once you determine the mounting convention, you can likely order up what you need and get the job done.

Sorry, I guess I’m not in the “correct” forum for tech questions. Although I’m sure there are plenty of capable mechanics frequently here, I am just now figuring out that this site is geared towards riding and trails and gear for riding more than parts and mechanical stuff.
      So with that said I’m sure many here are familiar with Colorado, but if not, you should be. There’s lots of great riding here. I don’t do extreme technical or any kind of competitive riding, I’m too old for all that now but there is plenty of any type of riding you may be into from paved flat trails to pretty tight switchbacks and lots of rocks… Oh and do I even need to say HILLS! Mountains… Lots and lots of mountains with hills on them… How’s that sound?
      Anyway I took some pics of my brakes but this site don’t seem to like direct uploads from my devices and I don’t feel like all the hosting bs so I will go to another forum I belong to which is more tech geared and allows photo uploads. Thanks and happy trails…

I have the M375s on my buddy bike with 185 rotors and they work fine.  I have Avid BB7s as well which are probably one of the best mechanical brakes out there.

<span style=”font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Roboto, Futura, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;”>Sorry, I guess I’m not in the “correct” forum for tech questions. Although I’m sure there are plenty of capable mechanics frequently here, I am just now figuring out that this site is geared towards riding and trails and gear for riding more than parts and mechanical stuff.</span><br style=”box-sizing: border-box; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Roboto, Futura, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;” /><span style=”font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Roboto, Futura, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;”>So with that said I’m sure many here are familiar with Colorado, but if not, you should be. There’s lots of great riding here. I don’t do extreme technical or any kind of competitive riding, I’m too old for all that now but there is plenty of any type of riding you may be into from paved flat trails to pretty tight switchbacks and lots of rocks… Oh and do I even need to say HILLS! Mountains… Lots and lots of mountains with hills on them… How’s that sound?</span><br style=”box-sizing: border-box; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Roboto, Futura, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;” /><span style=”font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Roboto, Futura, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;”>Anyway I took some pics of my brakes but this site don’t seem to like direct uploads from my devices and I don’t feel like all the hosting bs so I will go to another forum I belong to which is more tech geared and allows photo uploads. Thanks and happy trails…</span>

I actually had to compose myself after this reply.

I live in Colorado at 7,000′ elevation. Have been involed with offroad biking for more than 40 years. I also am a retired frame builder with patented supension designs under my belt. My shocks and brakes were all CNC’d inhouse.

Many thanks for the insults…

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.