vacating in colorado in june 2012

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Looking to travel to the USA in june 2012 to do some MTBing. May fly to Seattle, hire an RV to drive towards Denver doing some biking on the way to the Crested Butte Fat Fire Event. I,m having a knee op in new year so nothing to extreme!
      Regards
      Mark Glover

Sounds like quite the epic vacation man!

Sweet trip! Where is Colorado are you wanting to ride other than CB area?

Gotta check out Fruita, CO. Hot in June, but incredible trails. Check in the Over The Edge bike shop to learn about the area.
      Crested Butte is unbelievable, so is Durango, so is Winter Park. It all comes down to how fast the snow melts in these mountain towns.

Sounds like a fun trip. So from where are you visiting? Canada, or somewhere more distant?

the way this winter is going i think 401 and 403 should be ready early summer. although its hard to say with march and april still in front of us! we shall see!

Travelling form Seattle there are many ways to go. A few suggestions from places I’ve ridden or know on the way. This is for heading south on Interstate-5.
      Mt St. Helens erupted in 1980. Several trail choices. Ape Canyon and the Plains of Abraham were interesting.
      McKenzie River Trail: The most beautiful trail I’ve ever ridden. First 10 miles are thru a lava field so the toughest. It parallels and crosses beautiful McKenzie River for about 30 miles, you can make the ride as long as you like. Also heard of 2 others that start near where this trail ends, into the hills.
      North Umpqua Trail: I haven’t yet ridden this but it’s at the top of my list. Similar to McKenzie but 79 miles long, divided into sections. All I know who have ridden both claim this one is even more beautiful, technical and less ridden.
      Farther south another trail on my wish list is Paradise Royale south of Eureka, CA. in teh King Range, near the ocean. 14 mile network that’s expanding where mountain bikers have the right of way over hikers and horses, very rare!
      Unfortunately the shortest, quickest route, Interstate 84 is one I don’t know well. Heading that way I’d research Boise and Twin Falls, Idaho, both have MTB trails. If you went south on I-15 to Salt Lake City nearby Park City has a big trail network and you could go east fro there to Vernal, UT a network on Utah’s biggest mountains, the Uintahs. Skyline Drive ends at US-6 west of (before) Vernal and is a 100 mile road thru some of the most beautiful terrain in the Rockies that few have seen.
      From there it’s east to Steamboat Springs or south to Moab, I’d just go by the temprature.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.