Using clipless pedals for the first time

Tagged: ,

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author

A couple of weeks ago I got my first set of clipless pedals and have done my fair share of falling over. There have been times where I wanted to stop and just put my platform pedals back on. I have lost confidence on the trails but I am going to try and stick it out. What were your first experiences like? How long did it take for you to get comfortable with the pedals?

"cat12muffin" wrote

A couple of weeks ago I got my first set of clipless pedals and have done my fair share of falling over. There have been times where I wanted to stop and just put my platform pedals back on. I have lost confidence on the trails but I am going to try and stick it out. What were your first experiences like? How long did it take for you to get comfortable with the pedals?

Stick it out. I think most of us on here have had similar experiences. Clipless is the way to go for cross country riding. You’ll fall less and less over time and gain more condidence too. Clipless really helps in climbing and through leaves and other momentum draining obstacles. I was slow in getting use to them, but now it feels normal to be to clicked in. Probably took a couple of months for me to feel comfortable with them.

As I recall, the biggest challenge at first was to remember when purposefully coming to a stop to consciously lean the bike left or right AND unclick the foot on the same side (unless you plan to click out both feet each time). Prior to clipless, it didn’t really matter because both feet can easily (and unconsciously) be ready to prop you up regardless of which way the bike went. After a while, you start to do it more subconsciously. Now, for unexpected stops/falls, I think it just takes time. You’ll probably take a few lumps.

I found that after I moved to clipless, I actually made it through rocky/rooty sections that I previously had trouble with because my feet were bouncing off the pedals and I would lose momentum. Now I can power right through them.

Just keep at it, and you’ll eventually get your confidence and the pros will probably outweigh the cons.

Practice the kayaker’s Eskimo Roll 😆

I’m beginning my first full season on a set of Crank Brother’s Candy SLs. For a LONG time before that, my off road bike had Sun Tour beartrap style, so I can relate the learning curve of clipless pedals. At the the end of last season, I wiped out on an uphill and could not unclip in time. I did roll, just like my lead says, and suffered nothing more than hurt pride . . . but not too badly as no one was there to see me 😃

Keep at it. They are really no more difficult than the old toe strap system on my road bike. They are about to go by the wayside soon too. Like anything else, it is a learning process to build your unclip into a reflex action. Well worth it though, in my opinion.

Sorry to say it took me about 30 min in the yard to get used to clipless. I rode aroung the yard and kept taking them in and out. Every once in awhile evryone falls. Usally coming to a stop.

I would trade in my suspension and disc brakes before I get ride of my clipless pedals. That how much I believe in them.

I purchased my Mountain bike last year it came with clip-less pedals and so I loosened the pedals so I could get in and out of them quickly and as I became more comfortable on them I tightened them more and more…Clip-less pedals are the best for trails no ifs, ands, or buts, about it

If you want to be able to adjust the tension, make sure you get SPD’s. SPD cleats are all the same and will fit any SPD pedal no matter the make. There are plenty of clipless pedals that you cannot adjust the tension on and just have to be patient to break them in. I prefer the SPD’s myself. I use the Shimano 540 and I’ve had them for a few years with no problems.

I am wondering if I should invest in clipless pedals. I am not a real aggressive rider, althought I want to be…just a little scared of breaking my face or head open. I want clipless pedals because everyone I have heard of using them love them….my question is this….if I am riding in mud up hill and the wheels slip, will I be able to unclip in time before going down?? Please help me with this

With a little practice you should be able to unclip at will. I have been riding clippless for a year now and really do not think about clipping out of them. Sorta like driving a stick, after a bit you really don’t think about shifting.

Agreed, it becomes second nature after a while.

As for riding uphill in the mud, the extra power you can get on the upstroke might actually help you with that. On a related note, make sure you get pedals designed to shed mud. Some SPD’s are decent enough, but eggbeaters are the clear winners in a pure mudshedding showdown.

@ the original poster: it’s called a horizontal trackstand, and we’ve all done it.

I am not a clip rider yet myself, But I have rode behind people with clips and they have done exactly what you are worried about. They would be going up hill and stall or spin out, yet they would succesfully unclip and get their foot down.

They would be going up hill and stall or spin out, yet they would succesfully unclip and get their foot down.

I just want to add a thought about clipping in/out of "pedals" and not just clippless pedals.I think it might help a little to realize a little piece of reality so as not to steryotype one or the other,and that’s the fact that even if you have platform pedals you can still get your foot/shoe stuck on the pedal and fall because of it.Granted,as long as your pins in your platforms are in good/new condition,if you had to get out really fast,it’s possible to try and get out too fast and not lift your shoe up far enough to unstick the pins from the sole of your shoe and find yourself falling over with your shoe sole still stuck in the pins.
      It doesnt happen alot,although I have done it.I am a platform trail rider and find that as long as the pins in the platform pedals are new and/or in good condition,they can still be used like clippless pedals.Granted,you cannot litterally pull straight up with pins/platforms,a rider can still come pretty close by pushing/pulling forward/backward as long as the shoe has good sticktion to the platform and pins.To me,that’s all I need to mountain bike,if you cross country or race,then you need clippless.Dont mean to crash the clippless party,but clippless are not the only one at the party,hahahahahahahaha.

signed; The Few,The Proud,The Platform rider(s).hahahahahaahahaha.Also,this is only posted on my behalf and not a group or mob motivated linching.hahahaha.Just keeping the forums alive and well…………………

"cat12muffin" wrote

i only really crashed good once or twice in my driveway (flipped over backwards once)

caught on pretty quick. you got it man.

One of the guys on our weekly ride runs platforms with pins and he’s right up there with the rest of us in terms of technical skill.

I have tried platform and they’re okay, but I prefer clipless.

Like most things, it comes down to preference and comfort.

thx for the advice guys..I am pretty cat like with my reflexes but wasn
      t sure if was possible…shane answered it by telling me he saw people do the same thing I am worried about..these forums are great..I feel it will help me tremendously…thanks again

"jhepperly" wrote

thx for the advice guys..I am pretty cat like with my reflexes but wasn
      t sure if was possible…shane answered it by telling me he saw people do the same thing I am worried about..these forums are great..I feel it will help me tremendously…thanks again

NP man. A cheaper alternative to clipless would be trying some plastic toe cages. Riding about with those will get you used to having to take your feet out of something before you stop. Thats what I have been doing, cause I got a set for free. But, I am upgrading to clipless in the next weeks.

I used to have toe clips. I broke one on the first technical trail I rode.

I would use plain platforms before I would ever use toe clips again.

Same here slacker,my Pine Mountain Marin came with the toe straps when I bought it used up in Vail.I used them for awhile,and finally realized what I was doing and took those damn things off.That pine mountain was my first mountain bike and comin from BMX as a kid and into mtn biking as an adult I knew I had to do alot more pedaling so I used them for awhile till I realized I could just use the platforms,been there ever since………….

"steve32300" wrote

Same here slacker,my Pine Mountain Marin came with the toe straps when I bought it used up in Vail.I used them for awhile,and finally realized what I was doing and took those damn things off.That pine mountain was my first mountain bike and comin from BMX as a kid and into mtn biking as an adult I knew I had to do alot more pedaling so I used them for awhile till I realized I could just use the platforms,been there ever since………….

I was looking at my to clips last night, and I have broke the pedal its self. 😕

I was looking at my to clips last night, and I have broke the pedal its self

Go buy a new set of pedals then dude,LUCKY YOU,hahahaahahahaha.

Where and how did it break dude?Do you have a digital camera you can take a pic of the break??

"steve32300" wrote
      I was looking at my to clips last night, and I have broke the pedal its self

Go buy a new set of pedals then dude,LUCKY YOU,hahahaahahahaha.

Where and how did it break dude?Do you have a digital camera you can take a pic of the break??

No clue how I broke it, I just know the pedal has a crack, not broke into yet. Also, the cage screw keeps coming out of the pedal. so yea ha mine are busteddd up. I am getting some clipless tomorow, just gota order teh shoes yO

I will take a pic and post it. gimme a second.

Dang man.. I must have been seeing things, I went to go take a picture of the crack, and I could not find it.. If i notice it again.. ile take a pic. 😮

I have a huge problem finding shoes for mtn biking my size and on sale…I go to all these different sites and they have womens of all sizes and men’s size 8.5, 9.5, maybe up to 10.5….I can never find a men’s size 13-14…does anyone know a good place to find a discounted pair of nice shoes (under $100) that I can clip into egg beaters with? or a complete set of shoes and eggbeaters for a great price??

"jhepperly" wrote

I have a huge problem finding shoes for mtn biking my size and on sale…I go to all these different sites and they have womens of all sizes and men’s size 8.5, 9.5, maybe up to 10.5….I can never find a men’s size 13-14…does anyone know a good place to find a discounted pair of nice shoes (under $100) that I can clip into egg beaters with? or a complete set of shoes and eggbeaters for a great price??

Search around on there. [url:1ulpnq9o]http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_200383_-1_200275_200297[/url:1ulpnq9o]

All sizes are in centimeters, so you will have to use the Size chart/converter to get an idea of the size you need for the brand you want. [url:1ulpnq9o]http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SizeBodyView?langId=-1&storeId=10053&catalogId=10052[/url:1ulpnq9o]

Also, it may be wise to go to your local bike shop and try on a pair just to get an idea of the fit.

"jhepperly" wrote

i have heard that getting a pair of clipless shoes that size is pretty pricey. dude, you can’t get a normal sized decent pair of clipless shoes for under a hundred usually. from what i’ve heard, you’re looking at closer to 300.

I have a pair of shimano M075 shoes and m520 pedals. if I reacall they came in around $115-120 and bought them new from the same shop i got my bike from. When i bought them i asked for the 20% discount they give they give when you buy additional thing when you buy the bike. This was about 4 months afte I bought the bike though.

Viewing 25 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.