upgrading the BRAKES

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I need some "yes’s, no’s, maybe so’s" on the following. I have Tektro iO mechanical disc brakes and DO NOT like them. The measurement on my current rotors are 160mm. Anywho, I’d like to upgrade to the Avid BB7 but with the cleansweep G3 rotors. Do I need to stick with the 160mm or can I go to a different one? What’s the difference (160mm, 180mm, etc). Also, would I be ok with keeping my existing cables/levers? Thanks!

[color=#FF4000:1l72rxwp] Let me know if anyone is in the Kaiserslautern, Germany area. We’re always looking for more people to ride with. [/color:1l72rxwp]

RB

BB7s are awesome! I highly recommend. Being so huge, I first tried 203mm rotor up front and found it to be overkill. I run 160mms now and they’re more than sufficient! All mechanical brake levers will work with the BB7s.

+1 for BB7’s. Stick with 160’s. Levers? Sure. Cables? Never. Reusing old cables is like putting on a dirty pair of socks.

"iamrta" wrote

+1 for BB7’s. Stick with 160’s. Levers? Sure. Cables? Never. Reusing old cables is like putting on a dirty pair of socks.

Totally agree. I LOVED my BB7’s I ran 160mm’s front and back and had no complaints about the stopping power. Definitely put on new cables while you’re swapping the calipers and rotors it is inexpensive and doesn’t take that long to do. When I installed my BB7’s I put on cane creek direct curve levers and they were awesome.

I’ve also run bb7’s and LOVED them. In general, the bigger the discs, the bigger the stopping power. (But also more weight). You can probably keep the same levers, but if you’ve had those cables for a while it might be a good idea to get new ones. They’re pretty inexpensive too.

Have fun with the new brakes!

there’s no reason not to get new cables, but you don’t have to get new levers, i run BB7’s with 185mm all around. to me there isn’t much difference in stopping power between the 160 and the 185 but to me the 185 had more modulation and just seems more manageable power. i could be totally weird tho. 😄

The BB7 brake upgrade is a great idea. The cables also is a very good idea and one I recommend. Getting yoursellf a sealed cable like the Gore I recommend as well..It will give you a better feel to the brakes and keep out contamination that happens over time in the cable housing.

I just installed Avid BB7s on my 29er SS. I changed everything with them. 185 up front and 160 in the rear. Alligator Fortress brake cable kit and Avid Speed Dial 7 levers. Love this setup. I would definitely recommend changing everything.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.