Upgrading rear cassette ???

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

JDH

I’m thinking about upgrading my rear cassette, I currently have a Shimano HG50 11-32 on my FS trail bike. I mainly ride single track trails with lots of hills on this bike, any suggestions?

SRAM

JDH

So a SRAM PG-990 11-34 9 SPEED would be a good upgrade? Is it compatable with the rest of my drive train?

Hubs Shimano M525

Crank Shmano FC-M542, 22/32/44

Chain Shimano 9-speed

Bottom Bracket Shmano FC-M542

Front Derailleur Shimano LX

Rear Derailleur Sram X-9

Shifters Sram X-7 Trigger

I don’t want to replace everything at once… kinda a one part at a time guy, (AKA Cheap).

That should work, but it would be wise to also get a chain.

Agreed.

"maddslacker" wrote

I’ll third agree,hahaa.Always replace your chain with the replacement of a new cassette.A used chain installed on a new cassette will have premature wear pattern on the cassette,a new chain will not prematurely wear your new cassette.

JDH

Then it’s agreed, I be getting SRAM PG-990 11-34 9 SPEED as an upgrade along with a new chain.

Thanx for the help guys.

You can still get a shimano chain if you prefer, and the sram powerlink will work just fine 😉

If you wanted you could save a few dollars and get a PG 980 instead it is only 5 grams heavier and works just as well….All my test wheels that I run have that on it…Saves me a bundle. I also use the PG-971 chain, rather than a 991, once again a few dollars and not a big difference between the two.

Second the PG-971 chain, I run that on my work commuter bike.

JDH

😎 Already changed it to the PG 980 cassette and the PG-971 chain to save a few $$. I had planned on replacing the chain and y’all saved me from having to ask about chains… thanx lol

Now I know where to go when I’m having trouble deciding on what parts to use for upgrades!

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.